Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A DHTML menu suggestion

Options
  • 14-04-2006 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

I've looked for similar threads without much success.

Would it be an idea to put the DHTML menu that is currently at the top of boards.ie pages at the bottom of the boards.ie pages somewhere also?

I know there is a dropdown menu there already, but the DHTML menu is just easier to navigate.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What, because it's waay too much hassle to hit the "home" key at the bottom of a page?[1]

[1] Don't mind me, I'm slightly drunk and in a really sarky[2] mood.
    [2] Without prejudice to the poster formerly[3] known as sarky.
    [3] Quite possibly still known as sarky. Who cares? Get off my beard. Case. Whatever.[4]
    [4] Hic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

oscarBravo wrote:
    [1] Don't mind me, I'm slightly drunk and in a really sarky[2] mood.
    [2] Without prejudice to the poster formerly[3] known as sarky.
    [3] Quite possibly still known as sarky. Who cares? Get off my beard. Case. Whatever.[4]
    [4] Hic.

It's all good oscarBravo :), you hit the nail on the head, it's waay too much hassle to use the dropdown menu.

Seriously though, what do ye think? Maybe located under the Quick Reply panel, except the menu droping up, not down, it would be easy enough to implement.

Another suggestion to lessen bandwidth used, would be to disable displaying avatars and sigs for people not signed into the site (if possible), which should improve overall performance.

But after looking at the demo on the vbulletin website, that might actually require changing the code of boards as there doesn't seem to be an in-built function in the software, so I don't know, whatever ye think, it's just another suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'd like to see the Private boards you are a member of appearing under "Private" in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I dunno - as useful as the DHTML menu is, I've been getting some warnings from firefox lately that 'a script on this page' is making it load slowly when browsing boards. When I dismiss the warning, the menu loads. I'm not sure if I'd want two instances of it running.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

sjones wrote:
    I'd like to see the Private boards you are a member of appearing under "Private" in the menu.
    That used to happen, but it was a serious strain on the servers as it was doing a database lookup all the time. Hitting the Home key works best :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement