Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hmmm Spare Tyre

Options
  • 14-04-2006 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Ok so got flat tyre this morning , Passanger side Front , scary stuff when ur not driving how one should , anywho, Those crapy 80km only wheels really are they safe to have on the front of a car . Should i swap it with one of my back tyres

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well you're only supposed to drive on the temporary spare long enough to get yourself to a garage or somewhere else to get a new tyre fitted, so it shouldn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Yes, the space savers should only be used on the back wheel, I think most of them specifically say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

it prob does specify this but , of course my car is an import and every thing is in japanese, so that my break this morning planed ...swapin the wheels around

Thanks
    Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

put the spacesaver tyre on the back.and also its only used for driving to garage etc as they are not that safe compared to the normal tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I remember on one fifth gear episode they were discussin whether or not if you have tyres with lesser thread if they should go on the front or back.
    The conclusion was that they should be put on the front wheels as less grip at the front can cause a car to understeer whereas less grip at the back can cause oversteer which is far less easy to control/recover from. Of course your braking ability is going to lessened with a space saver at the front....all depends on the type of drivin/conditions.
    Personally I'd just get it fixed as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

Why dont they just make room for a decent sized tyre? It cant be THAT difficult to make the wheel well slightly bigger, espcially on a car like the Audi A4 which has a space saver (even though it only has the same sized wheel as the Focus which has a full size spare).

What use is a space saver if you get a puncture on your way to Cork from dublin at 7 O Clock on a sunday afternoon, or on christmas morning when you plan to visit relatives in Belfast?

The "run flats" are even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maidhc wrote:
    Why dont they just make room for a decent sized tyre? It cant be THAT difficult to make the wheel well slightly bigger, espcially on a car like the Audi A4 which has a space saver (even though it only has the same sized wheel as the Focus which has a full size spare).

What use is a space saver if you get a puncture on your way to Cork from dublin at 7 O Clock on a sunday afternoon, or on christmas morning when you plan to visit relatives in Belfast?

The "run flats" are even worse.

What use it teh full sized flat tire that most peope fling into the boot when they change a tyre , then only think about again when they get another flat and are then left with 2 flat tires and no spare. The spacesaver is designed to force you to get your tyre fixed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Stekelly wrote:
    What use it teh full sized flat tire that most peope fling into the boot when they change a tyre , then only think about again when they get another flat and are then left with 2 flat tires and no spare...

With all due respect, anyone who does this is a moron & deserves to be left stranded with 2 flats!

I'd gladly put up with a 'proper' spare wheel even if it ate into boot space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Stekelly wrote:
    What use it teh full sized flat tire that most peope fling into the boot when they change a tyre , then only think about again when they get another flat and are then left with 2 flat tires and no spare. The spacesaver is designed to force you to get your tyre fixed asap.
    It's not designed to force you toget your tyre fixed, it is designed to save the car company a few bob, by giving customers an inferior product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another abomination of modern car design.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

Ok I use my lunch break to swap the sh**y sh**y bang bang spare to the back , its a 30k journey home and I know i could get it fix sooner but I want to advance science and see how far i can go on it ..........MY GOD THAT WHEEL IS UGLY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

People point and laugh when they see a car with one!

gnx7drag.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

A word of warning-

If you have a RWD car, DO NOT put the space saver on the rear, swap a front wheel to the rear if you have a rear flat.

Different sized wheels on a differential driven axle will shred the diff in jig time (under contant pressure that it can do nothing about)

If you have different sized front & rear wheels (some sports cars do it this way) then carry a can of tyre weld instead.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Stekelly wrote:

Nothing is of use when people refuse to act responsibly.

In the boot of my 8 year old car is a pristine original full size tire on a shiny unmarked alloy, it has had exactly 3 miles on it.

The amount of people you see driving around on spacesavers (usually on the front) is depressing, I was overtaken by one a few months ago doing at least 90mph on the M1.

Advertisement