Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Eyre Square is open...

Options
  • 14-04-2006 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Did any go see yesterday ?
    I passed through it yesterday and while it is greta to see it opened again I hope it wont be full of the morons that were there yesterday.

A group of about 20 young skateboarder kids/teens practicing jumps of where the fountain used to be ..only they were missing one thing ..Their skateboards lol what a bunch of muppets...:D

Comments

When did it open?

I was there before 6 and nothing was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Did any go see yesterday ?
    I passed through it yesterday and while it is greta to see it opened again I hope it wont be full of the morons that were there yesterday.

A group of about 20 young skateboarder kids/teens practicing jumps of where the fountain used to be ..only they were missing one thing ..Their skateboards lol what a bunch of muppets...:D

ah parkour entusiasts, its good they get to christen the square,

...not literally well maybe after a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

:D I guess they didn't bring the skateboards as If they managed to even get a foot off the ground the resulting landing would no doubt crack all the new pavement and close the square for another 4 years lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

did I hear right that they'll be removing all the paving stones from the footpaths ??

I've already nearly slipped the few times I've been walking along there ... bit of ice / rain and there'll be some serious court cases waiting to happen. The cost of construction is probably nothing compared to what that'll be ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

error9 wrote:
    did I hear right that they'll be removing all the paving stones from the footpaths ??

I've already nearly slipped the few times I've been walking along there ... bit of ice / rain and there'll be some serious court cases waiting to happen. The cost of construction is probably nothing compared to what that'll be ...

Glad to see it open, great to see it looking so well, but who decided they should use that type of paving stone? It's lethal when it rains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

The whole area looks really well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ive walked on those paving stones in all kinds of weather and never had any problems.

I have no problem with sk8ers in the square.

I can just see those playground things lasting not to long.

Some drunken muppets are bound to reck them some night.

ah well!no more jumping over the fence for me to get into anymore!That playground is class especially after coming out of boos!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I like it... but it's not worth €10 million.... don't look all that different either... some trees here, a few pavements done up and that extra ugly teal green **** that's popping up everywhere and we'd have been good to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I think its funny. I was walking through it on saturday on my own and i thought to myself, whats different apart from the grass being greener, the trees cut down and the playground :) I had to laugh. Such a waste of money.was grand the way it was.
    Sher if they threw down a bit of fertiliser and cut away the trees, it would be basically the same only for the playground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It does look the same but at the same time it looks a lot bigger. I like it but for 10 million I'd expect some kind of gigantic statue in the centre or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

exactly!!
    a giant statue of me
    thats what it lacks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tiesto wrote:
    Sher if they threw down a bit of fertiliser and cut away the trees, it would be basically the same only for the playground
    i think there are actually more trees now than there were before.
    then again, i heard that from a wino who seemed to think the plan was to get rid of all the grass and slap some concrete down instead

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

took a walk around it on saturday night - looks good.

quite a few groups of underage drinkers, but to be expected I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

I've briefly seen it and it does not look that different but what did we expect after the time in the slime, the port tunnel, the spike etc - we are not the best as a nation at spening money on stuff that us well planned/run (in my opinnion anyway).

It does look nice but since it has been a bit of a farce since the word go I was 99% expecting the official opening day to be the final nail in the lid of the coffin by the arrival of say 20 caravans and their traveller owners:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Did they get rid of the smelly tramps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I hear most of the seating in the "new square" is over by the skeff side which gets bugger all light in the evenings. Well thought out there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Well the light is alright that side, but the most comfortable spot is def up by the fountain, the ground and steps are not irritating on the arse

I hear most of the seating in the "new square" is over by the skeff side which gets bugger all light in the evenings. Well thought out there....

It'd be great for anyone who wants to find somewhere getting jiggy (na na na na na na)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chewbacca [14-12-2007]

You didn't enjoy our Parkour Stylings?

free running is beginning to really catch on in Galway and I'm ****ing delighted to see that. It's a wonderful form of expression and exercise and I'd far rather be doing it than being the loser who is happier ridiculing it. "Muppets". Comic genius man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Saw Eyre Square today, lovely. Had some icecream. :)
    Omg, sun in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

lovely icecream sometimes tastes of banana

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

€9million and the centerpiece is a rusty hooker and green jacks. The landscaping is nice but it is ruined by these landmarks. Why were the jacks left and the O Conaire statue taken away?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

My reaction is that the Square looks nice but I can't believe that they spent 10 odd million on it. It doesn't look that different from before apart from the paving on the Skeff side and the paving on the end near the Bank of Ireland/Supermacs.

Nice to have it back but?

Advertisement