Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Home to MCE

• 14-04-2006 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Hopefully these questions aren't too dumb :)

Just want to know how easy it would be to go from XP home to MCE.
    I have an official version of XP home on my PC, is there an upgrade package for going to MCE, or would i have to buy a new full copy of it....on that note can I get it off the shelf, or does it only come preinstalled?

Also I am getting a new HD so i'll have 2, so would I be better off doing a clean install onto this drive instead of upgrading?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

MCE is only supplied to OEMs, so you'd have to buy a machine with it on it. And the way most machines are supplied these days, they're all supplied with restore partitions without an installable copy of windows on it - forcing either a destructive manufacturer factory-state reinstall or a non-destructive "refresh" of system files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do yourself a favour and go the free route - have a look at media portal or GB-PVR.

Both have as much functionality as MCE and you can't beat the price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

There is no upgrade for MCE at the moment. You could get the MCE application and services to install on Home with some trickery though. Its not worth it TBH.

Media portal is okay, its even more sluggish than MCE and much more buggy.

GBPVR is a better solution.

Although MCE is OEM software, you can still buy it legitmatly with qualifying hardware, I think a mouse may even count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

There is no upgrade for MCE at the moment. You could get the MCE application and services to install on Home with some trickery though. Its not worth it TBH.

Media portal is okay, its even more sluggish than MCE and much more buggy.

GBPVR is a better solution.

Although MCE is OEM software, you can still buy it legitmatly with qualifying hardware, I think a mouse may even count.

Cool thanks guys, GBPVR has what I want :)
    With regards to MCE, I found a few places selling it, you had to buy a mouse/keyboard or similar and tick a box.

I'll give GBPVR a go first.

Advertisement