Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sopranos thread for people watching on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Babybing wrote:
    without a doubt. Two of the best characters ever in television, litreture or film.

Paulies a great mob character but theres a problem - hes too one dimensional and theres not a lot left to develop with his character - so that might explain why hes not used as much

- he basically does the same thing every episode - you might argue thats the case with some of the other characters but paulie is a stereotype all by himself.... ( he also played the same character in goodfellas even if it was very brief )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

yeah thats who i thought it was the first time she spoke... did it switch at times?

They might have. Both Charmaine and Gloria appeared in Tonys dream in "The test dream" at the end of series 5. I'd have to see it again to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

Silvio is my favourite though, something about him, maybe it's even just his facial expressions! i think paulie walnuts best epsiode by far was the one out in the forest!
    I think silvio will be made Boss, hard to see if Tony will fully recover though,
    Can't wait for next epsiode, i think it's gonna be a cracker!

Ger

I enjoyed this episode as well. I thought Steve Buscemi's little cameo was class. I was full sure for a sec that by following him into the house he was stopping fighting and dying but it turns out the opposite was true.

When Tony looks into the house he sees an old lady facing away from him and the door. There was a similar sequence their in season 5 in the episode where Tony goes to meet with little carmine in florida, when Tony is dreaming and walks upto a house and sees an old lady walking up the stairs from behind. Looks like Tony still has some mother issues. Can you blame him when she tried to have him killed numerous times in the 1st season!

It was hailarious the way paulie was still able to rise tony's blood pressure even when he was in a coma!! Vito is being too much of a big mouth. This stuff he is saying will find its way back to Tony i reckon. Its tradition the head of the Aprile crew gets whacked anyway...

One important thing to come from last nights episode is how quickly all the wiseguys went for themselves, even Chris with his movie stuff and Sil with getting comfortable as the new skip. Carmela definetly realises the only ones they can trust is immiediate family now. The question is, did Tony pick this up?

Yeah thought it was a greta one myself.

The scene with buscemi is good alright, i think the person he saw inside the door was his Mom but i didn't get a good look.
    I can't see how he will fully recover, bu you never know with that show i guess!
    I thought Sil would make a good boss, he was the obvious choice, but i guess it's gonna be interesting to see who will get it now! Paulie is probably most senior, but i can't see him getting it, nor Chris, there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice at this point.

Was it shown before that vito married phil's cousin?

Roll on next week!

Was it shown before that vito married phil's cousin?

Don't think it was no.

I think Sil proved himself a bad boss to be honest last night. The guys are all arguing. If he was an effective leader, that wouldnt be happening. I was surprised he was so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i thought that sil was shown as a decent boss, upholding the tradition of lloking after the fallen leaders family, it was vito and paulie that showed their true colours, even christopher, the are disloyal scumbags and i can see tony doing some weeding in his garden this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Sil showed that he cant hack it as boss. He failed to stand firm and make a decision. He bottled out of making a decision on the bobby-vito thing and instead of solving the problem just made both of them more pissed off and disillusioned. This is not the action of a good leader. He even said it himself hes an advisor not a leader. The interesting thing is who will step up now? Paulie would be a disaster, Chris is too young and wouldnt have the respect needed to be boss and vito doesnt stand a chance. Basically whoever steps up theres gonna be trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

i think that the sequence when he looked into the house was to imply that it was his mother inside waiitng for him

but since the actress who played her in the opening series died they couldnt show the face but the dress was v.familiar, for a moment i thought they might do a stint like they did in a previous series (cant remember which precisely) where they had to edit tonys mother into the scene with old footage as the actress had already died

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

First off very good episode best so far of the new series.
    I think that Sil initially didn't want to take any major decisions because he just assumed Tony would come out of the coma soon. When he saw how bad Tony was though he got a shock and the pressure of the top job with the indecision earlier pushed him over the edge. I think Sil will still be boss for the time being it was probably just an asthma attack he got anyway.
    Tony looked a little on the vegetable side a things and if he stays that way there'll be huge trouble. I reckon it'll break down as Sil, Chris and Bobby on one side Vito, Paulie and the others on the other side. Either way I see Vito getting whacked as was said earlier its tradition
    Film scene absolutely hilarious, The Pork Store Killer I'd watch that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

''I'm gonna piss now, you want half of that too?'' - Paulie. He makeds me laugh. Or how he was talking about how is arms now looked like an old womans c**t. Classic

kevmy wrote:
    Tony looked a little on the vegetable side a things and if he stays that way there'll be huge trouble.
    he won't stay that way, i've had a couple of relatives on breathing machines and they are terrible for the first few days when they come around, but eventually find their feet after a week, just a lot weaker ofr a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

''I'm gonna piss now, you want half of that too?'' - Paulie. He makeds me laugh. Or how he was talking about how is arms now looked like an old womans c**t. Classic

I know, hes excellent.

The Sopranos is the only show I set the video for nowadays, its superb T.V.

A.J is starting to get a little anxious, could this be the start of his move into mobsterism???

I doubt Tony would let him in and Carmela definetly doesn't want him in but she wont be able to do much about it if tony doesnt pull through. Doesnt AJ remind you of the way Jackie Junior started to go in series 3?

Chumpski wrote:
    I doubt Tony would let him in and Carmela definetly doesn't want him in but she wont be able to do much about it if tony doesnt pull through. Doesnt AJ remind you of the way Jackie Junior started to go in series 3?

Yeah there is the dropping out of college and being an absolute tool similarities with Jackie Jnr but he had Richie Aprile and Ralphie egging him on but from the way Chris and Bobby reacted to him trying to get a gun I don't think he'll be into the mob anytime soon. He might do something off his own bat though. Tony has already said to Melfi he doesn't think AJ is up to being in the mob.

• Advertisement

The only way aj will move into mobsterism is over tony's dead body! and even if he did he wouldnt last a minute, hes a spoiled brat who grew up in a mini mansion, attended private school and had everything handed to him on a plate none of which he seems to appreciate. He appears to not have an ounce of ambition or initiative and has shown on numerous occasions he doesnt like violence and is a coward. Hardly the next michael corleone!

Babybing wrote:
    He appears to not have an ounce of ambition or initiative and has shown on numerous occasions he doesnt like violence and is a coward. Hardly the next michael corleone!

I dont think so. Hes the only one to stand up to Tony and still have the use of his legs so far, granted he his son... I wouldnt say hes a coward and i wouldnt think hed shy away from voilence but you are right in saying that hes a spoilt brat.

Well??? what do we think?
    Strange episode alright. i think the making of this series will be when it's repeated on C4 or E4 so i can watch it for a second time, pick up on things i missed.

The Paulie storyline was good alright, i like his character alot.
    Not much from Sil last night, and nothin about the film Chris was hoping to get made.
    I've never been much of a fan of Bobby but i thought he was good last night, but i think shooting the guy in the ass instead of the leg was a mistake because the guy will probably get laughed at for getting shot in the ass instead of his credibility going up maybe that will become a storyline, or else Tony getting involved with the rappers in the music business?

Roll on next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

i think paulie walnuts best epsiode by far was the one out in the forest!
    That was great.
    Another good one with Paulie was where he went to a medium and the medium could see the crowd of ghosts of people Paulie had whacked over the years following him around. Bizarre but very funny. Paulie was terrified, later he went to his parish priest and started giving out reams - "I'm paying you to look after this kind of stuff". Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Last nights episode was great, alot of things in there I didnt really expect.
    Tony getting pulled in by those Evangelicals!!! Didn't see that coming especially after slagging Janice so much about it in previous episodes.

The thing with Paulies mother was genious, loved it when Paulie throws the flat screen tv out the the window and it smashes right beside some old lady in a wheel chair and she doesn't even notice.

• Advertisement

Class episode, Imo the best of the new series so far. The episodes in this serious are starting to get really deep with all this philosophical stuff. Could tony ever find God? That would be quite a way to end the sopranos, it will be very interesting to see where this is going because they wont tolerate tonys new found "generousity" for long(letting the paramedic off with the money and caving in negotiations with Phil Leotardo). I can see a power struggle brewing:D Bobby was hilarious last night hittin yer man in the arse when he was aiming for "the fleshy part of the tigh", brilliant.

Bobby: "I'm a marksman"

hahaha, Not much of a marksman bobby...

Paulie could become even more of a loose cannon now. Hes already shown himself to be disloyal. Jaysus he even said so to Tony last night...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good episode.

I wonder did yer man shoot the rapper in the arse because he only got 7000 quid and not 8000 or if he was just bad shot.

Paulie, jesus, he's just a psycho altogether.

Good episode.

I wonder did yer man shoot the rapper in the arse because he only got 7000 quid and not 8000 or if he was just bad shot.

Lol never thought of that, although after he shot didnt curse or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

Bobby: You could blame it on Dr. Droop or whoever.

That was brilliant :)

Tony is not going to find god, he was way too interested in the professors theories than the evangelical guy, remember he basically argued the prayer guy out of his room, plus carmella is way too entrenched in her church to let it happen,
    bobby was brilliant, very funny, and i was happy to hear carmella warn tony about vito. i agree on paulie, i think paulie will have to be *dealt with* by the end of the season. i think sil will knock him off.

Bixmoo wrote:
    Bobby: You could blame it on Dr. Droop or whoever.

That was brilliant :)

haha also thought that was very funny :D

Another good episode there getting better as they go along this year.

Interesting to see Carmela warn about Vito and Tony's statement at the end about being given another chance at life. I don't think this means hes going evangelical just more like hes going to settle down with Carmela and stop chasing women a much. Even in the dream thing a few weeks ago it was kind of mirroring him moving into old age and away from his midlife crisis. Since this is the last season and the whole show is about Tonys midlife crisis its probably right they do that to finish it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I know this thread is a bit dead but I thought I'd try and spark up the discussion again.

What did everyone think of last nights episode? (01-06-06)
    Chris back on drugs?
    Arty depressed again?
    Vito still missing?

Discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭EARMUFFS

Ho-Hum wrote:
    I know this thread is a bit dead but I thought I'd try and spark up the discussion again.

What did everyone think of last nights episode? (01-06-06)
    Chris back on drugs?
    Arty depressed again?
    Vito still missing?

Discuss

Funniest moment of the series so far. Murmour punching Lauren Bacall. Also the new Tony is definitely leaving himself wide open to getting whacked. His new philosophy on life is not exactly endearing himself with his crew.

• Advertisement

Thought it was a good episode. Im not mad on Artie as a central character though. Hes funny and I like the juxtaposition between him and the suave mafia guys but he can get kinda annoying when the plot centers around him. Lauren Bacall getting mugged was classic though and the scene when Ben Kingsley was getting all the free stuff was funny. I dont think much more is gonna happen with the vito storyline. I can see someone just stumblng across him and him getting whacked.I think theyll keep it low key and not a major storyline.

The reason its focuses on Arty from time to time is that Tony thinks thatts what he would be like if not in the mob. Why did Chris call Murmur out to California was it to get him off the drugs/drink?
    Can't see them killing/finding Vito in the next few episodes him being on the run will lead to Phil making a move on someone either Johnny Sac or Tony.

it's really hard to tell what will happen from episode to episode this time round.
    Who could have seen the Ben Kingsely thing coming??
    i am glad how few cameo there have been throughout all the series, the sign of bad things to come is when every episode the reroute the whole show just to include some "celeb" like what been happening to the simpsons for some time.

Looking forward to next show.
    I;m convinced this won't be the last season of it though, the writing is getting stronger

Can't wait for tonights episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

It was a class episode.

The old granny was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Good episode, nice to see Julianna Marguilles, there isn't a man alive that would have turned her down. But this is the new T, the born again as such, but I think the rails will come off before the series ends. Gandolfini will want to go out with some sort of a bang.

The AJ storyline is now hopefully wrapped up. In earlier series discussions a lot of peoples opinions were that AJ was the crown prince but now we see that he is never going to take over from his papa. The fake assassination attempt was clever but its good to see that the writers are now tying up some loose ends.

I miss Paulie. He hasn't been in the last couple of episodes :( Fair play to Tony for not doing your one.. he really is a changed man!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

Good to see series 6 get going properly, I didn't enjoy the earlier episodes that much but the last 3 have been excellent, I'd wonder if Vito will get the chop yet or will it happen towards the end of the series

• Advertisement

The whole Vito storyline is one which i think the writers are having a great time with.(a gay captain!!) Thats what makes the Sopranos so good imo. You never know where the plotlines are going and from series to series what you expect is exactly the opposite of where the writers go. Good to see that Phil is taking leadership of the New York crew as he and tony's relationship is strained to say the least. Hopefully that storyline will develop over the next few episodes.

From the adds on RTE looks like the next episode is going to feature Paulie Walnuts big time WooHoo:D :D. The series really is getting going now and is settling down into the style and brilliance of the previous series. Feel that Phil will now become main 'bad guy' in Ralphie/Richie style and not Vito as thought early on. Still think this series is about T gettin old. NO WAY mid life crisis Tony would turn down Juliana Margulies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I too think the whole "Vito's gay awakening" thing is too much.

OK to make one of the established characters gay and to explore the homophobia of Tony's crew, but to extend it as far as they have out of NJ is, IMHO, just padding out the episode - it doesn't add anything to the core themes

I think it'll(the vito thing) come to a head soon one way or another

TarfHead wrote:
    I too think the whole "Vito's gay awakening" thing is too much.

OK to make one of the established characters gay and to explore the homophobia of Tony's crew, but to extend it as far as they have out of NJ is, IMHO, just padding out the episode - it doesn't add anything to the core themes

In some ways id agree with you there. It does seem to be getting off track from whats important. But then again its setting up a nice bit of drama between New Jersey and New York. Its interesting how much Philly loved Vito before he was outed, now Philly really wants him dead.

Chumpski wrote:
    In some ways id agree with you there. It does seem to be getting off track from whats important. But then again its setting up a nice bit of drama between New Jersey and New York. Its interesting how much Philly loved Vito before he was outed, now Philly really wants him dead.

Yeah it could be, but this is supposed to be the last season!! i can't see how they're gonna tie up so many loose ends, but then again this show never fails to surprise me!

I really can't see htem stoping after this year, the writing is very strong, if a little of the beaten track.

Is Chris gonna have a boy, will he go back to being an addict

How is the vito thing gonna work out,

What will happen between Phil & Johnny Sack- Tony & Johnny Sack

What will happen to AJ, will he become a hood.get killed.......

Junior Soprano & Tony

I really could go on, there are loads more open ended story lines, and every week there's a brand new story line (last nite Paulie might have cancer/ A possible rift between him and Bobby!)

I think this could go on for at least one more season!

• Advertisement

Well apparently some of the bigger names are fighting over moolah at the minute so the last 6 episodes haven't started filming yet. If it ain't sorted i think a lot of the storylines will be left hanging unless of course they do a home and away and it and change actors/actresses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

EARMUFFS wrote:
    Well apparently some of the bigger names are fighting over moolah at the minute

I was surprised at how 'little' some of them were earning per episode - 'little' that is considering they're leading characters in a succesful TV series in it's
    7th season.

Tony 'Paulie' Sirico $85,000 per episode
    'Miami' Steve 'Silvio' Van Zandt $80,000

The actors playing Meadow & AJ are at that level too, but I rather see them written out than Paulie & Silvio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Classic quote from Tony last night = new signature for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I think it'll(the vito thing) come to a head soon one way or another
    Pun intended?

I loved Tony's comment from a couple of weeks back that 'I wouldn't have the new boat without Vito'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement