Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubisoft to dump starforce

Options
  • 14-04-2006 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭

Earlier this week, we mentioned that Ubisoft was dropping malware/software copy protection company Starforce. What began with their decision to drop Starforce from Heroes of Might and Magic V, Ubisoft confirmed to 1UP today ended with the decision to find another copy protection software.

rest of article:
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149611

Good riddance, i say.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Excellent. Good news. Once more can I buy Ubi Soft games without fear of it not running or messing up other applications on my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Completely OT:

Still to finish: Shogun: total war

Goodluck, it never ends! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

bummed in the gob:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Fantastic news. Just hope it's not too late for them to remove it from Resident Evil 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Hopefully other companies will follow, Ubi have always been the main Starforce supporters since it came out, and other copy protections are getting better while Starforce has hardly changed since release, custom securom protection is currently the biggest hurdle to bypass, Ive never heard of anyone having problems with it, and it doesnt require a restart on installation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

MrPinK wrote:
    Fantastic news. Just hope it's not too late for them to remove it from Resident Evil 4.

****, I had Resident Evil 4 preordered... Tell me it ain't true!

****, I had Resident Evil 4 preordered... Tell me it ain't true!
    It aint true!

(this may be a lie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well bugger it, I'm cancelling Resi4 untill I can be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Great news, its a pity that the one protection that did give the pirates some trouble (but they still got around it) is a ton of **** for the paying customer, glad its gone out of Ubi's games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great news, its a pity that the one protection that did give the pirates some trouble (but they still got around it) is a ton of **** for the paying customer, glad its gone out of Ubi's games.

ah but the only way to get around it was a bloody awkward removal of some of your cd/dvd cables inside your computer (at least for some of the more recent ones). I hated the fact that it installed without telling you, and that it wasnt uninstalled when you uninstall the game, but it was a bloody effective protection method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

It was easy enough to get around, you usually just had to wait 2 or 3 weeks until the developer realised that half of the people who bought the game couldn't play it. Then they released a 1.01 patch which severely neutered Starforce, and most people could play it with CureROM/Daemon Tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Have an old Ubisoft game "Freedom Fighters".

I havent played it in a while and only decided to have another go of it recently....and was surprised to see a Patch was available which removed starforce(I think) and no longer required the CD to be present.
    A NoCD crack or such was never needed...100% legal!

zuma wrote:
    A NoCD crack or such was never needed...100% legal!
    NoCD hacks are perfectly legal :)

However they tend to be shunned as a bit of a grey area because its mostly pirates who use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The legality of NOCD's depends on what jurisdiction you're in.

Advertisement