Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exec,PRO and refurendum results

Options
  • 14-04-2006 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Well (yet more) results are in. Gary redmond got comm + it and Donal got Irish lang officer, I think they both got the guts of 75/80% against RON. Stephen Qunlivan got Finanace and Carol-Anne Rushe got Women's officer, both got about 60% of the valid poll excluding RON (which there was a lot of in Women's compared to the rest.

Paul lynam was elected arts PRO onthe first count (he got the quota exactly), and Chris Bond got the second seat after transfers with Sinead Monoghan in 3rd, 25 behind Chris, with veronica 4th and conor 5th.

Jane Tiernan beat Niall to science PRO by about 30 votes.

Paddy Rath absolutley walked Business + Law PRO, with John Butler 2nd and Mairead 3rd.

Finally, in the ref, yes beat no by about five hundred votes, but with about 2,000 votes, they'll decide (argue) wether this reaches quorum or not in the coming days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

What about Student Centre ref?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Awh.... Awh....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

only 2000 votes in the referendum? Thats pretty low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Only about 2000 votes cast altogether! Such is the profile of the Exec positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Irish Lang Donal RON
    % 88% 12%

Comm & IT Gary RON
    % 82% 18%

Womens Carol-Anne Linda RON
    % 52% 33% 15%

Finance Stephen Eugenia RON
    % 55% 40% 5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I tried to vote yesterday but they told me I had to go to Roebuck to do so. So no voting for me.

I'm assuming that you are a commerce student, this was something that was agreed with the returning office last week however it should be lucked at again, I believe the problem was that there is very few students in quinn on Thursday so they deicided to open Quinn on Wednesday and Roebuck on Thursday so Law and business students i.e. everyone in the college of business and law could vote in quinn on wed and roebuck on thurs. However you could have voted in the Arts block between 6 and 9:45 either day and you should have been told that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

There's absolutely no way that a turnout of less than 2,000 makes quorum (10-15%). No chance.

Congrats Gary, nice one mate, good luck juggling your 2 responsibilities next year!:D

Nice one Chris as well, I'm pleased ya got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Congrats to everyone that won position. Thats great to see Chris get elected in Arts-he's a lovely bloke and I was loving the dangerous boy band look you were sporting in your campaign posters chris;) Its a pity about sinead though she would have done a great job too!

Ah poor eugenyia-i feel sorry for her but she should be proud of the brill year she had this year!

As for Carol anne rushe-i dont know her but I think its a pity that this its the fifth year in a row that it is someone of the left peruasion is womens officer.It would be really nice and is desperatly needed to have a bit of variety in this position.

But well done to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Sorry, who won arts Chris or Lynham whatever dude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Paul Lynam won with Chris Bond 2nd. Both are elected cause it's a 2 seat constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Pythia wrote:
    I tried to vote yesterday but they told me I had to go to Roebuck to do so. So no voting for me.
    Ditto. Pain in the arse walking from Stillorgan and going the whole way up Foster's Avenue and up the Roebuck gate to vote down there on Thursday morning... and then when I found out that I could have done it on Thursday evening... :mad:

Last year I voted for all 9 election winners... this year it's only 4, and two were unopposed. :(

zap wrote:
    However you could have voted in the Arts block between 6 and 9:45 either day and you should have been told that.

I was told it but I wouldn't hang around til 6pm just to vote in Arts. They made it extremely difficult for me. I went to Quinn and Arts and had no luck in either. I was told I could vote on Wed or Thurs so I picked Thurs. Oh well, not like I care what the result is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Pythia wrote:
    Oh well, not like I care what the result is.
    I'd take issue with your apathy if I was arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

besty wrote:
    I'd take issue with your apathy if I was arsed
    Right, I'm stealing that for my sig... whenever I can be bothered putting it in, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

panda100 wrote:

As for Carol anne rushe-i dont know her but I think its a pity that this its the fifth year in a row that it is someone of the left peruasion is womens officer.It would be really nice and is desperatly needed to have a bit of variety in this position.

Well, personally I'm glad that I won't have to grit my teeth through Linda's planned Anne Summer's Party for Women's Week. And tbh, I don't knowCarol-Anne very well, but she'll hardly what you'd call hard left in any sense. She seems like she'll do a good job though.

Great to see the Bond Lad get a seat in arts anyway :D

Well as far as I'm aware none of the new execs are officially affiliated to potical parties, and I don't think any of them are MAJOR left/right heads, though some may be slightly inclined to one side or the other.

People who think I'm wrong, state your case...

I would have thought Chris is pretty far left, though i'm open to correction and not stating that to be a good or bad thing. And whatever about him being a nice guy and all, his campaign for programmes officer was on the same issues as Enda's presidential campaign (End the rip off, more books for the library etc.) -BS that has nothing to do with the position he was running for.

I really thought Sinead Monaghan was the only person actually campaigning on what she intends to do as Arts Programmes officer and it's very unfortunate/unfair that she didn't get either seat.

Also would have preffered to see Eugenyia win but I probably expected the other guy to get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gliondar

You are now observing next year's sabat candidates..... I'm nearly certain everyone who won a position has plans to use this as a launchpad for next year...... its annoying being able to see into the future, I prefer a surprise. Same faces, different year

passive wrote:
    I would have thought Chris is pretty far left, though i'm open to correction and not stating that to be a good or bad thing. And whatever about him being a nice guy and all, his campaign for programmes officer was on the same issues as Enda's presidential campaign (End the rip off, more books for the library etc.) -BS that has nothing to do with the position he was running for.

How do you figure? In my experience Arts students would like more books in the library and to not get ripped off quite so much.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they would but I don't think it's within the power of the Programmes officer to grant these things or the purpose of the programmes officer to battle for them. I'm trying to get an idea of exactly what the programmes officer is for (by trawling through UCDSU discussions... wow..these are difficult to read.)

But what i meant was that his manifesto gave me the impression of being filled to the brim with all purpose promises that would have been on offer if he was running for any position -be it programmes, finance, irish language or women's officers. Seemed like a crowd pleasing campaign of unrealistic desires rather than "I will be a good programmes officer and do that job properly."

Well tbh programme officer is an utterly pointless role but hey, you voted for them, you got them.

If the candidates were only to put in what they're role profile tells them to it would just say, 'I will represent arts on exec and hold programme board meetings' which is not exactly a vote winner.

Chris has been active on the co-op, the grants campaign, the democracy now campaign and probably other things that I wasn't paying attention to, he's a good lad and I fully expect him to focus on the issues he said he will.

Though feel free to say 'ha ha i told you so' if he doesn't.

technically the programme reps don't sit on exec - but they will more than likely be invited to every meeting.

dajaffa wrote:
    Well as far as I'm aware none of the new execs are officially affiliated to potical parties, and I don't think any of them are MAJOR left/right heads, though some may be slightly inclined to one side or the other.

People who think I'm wrong, state your case...

I thought Chris Bond was fairly active in Labour Youth and would be quite far left. And isn't Paddy Rath in the KBC? (Open to correction on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Pythia wrote:
    I thought Chris Bond was fairly active in Labour Youth and would be quite far left. And isn't Paddy Rath in the KBC? (Open to correction on that).

You're right on both counts. I'm also in KBC (Poor Business and Law people weren't left with a whole lot of choice :D ). I hear you're new auditor of YFG by the way. Congratulations. Some of ye crowd getting involved in SU politics would be very welcome. The more centrists the better!

When I said exec I meant exec, not the PROs, some of whom do have v. strong political affiliations. Bond is Labour, Lynam is FF...

I hear you're new auditor of YFG by the way. Congratulations.

Yes, my reign of terror begins now! Mu ha ha...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

passive wrote:
    I really thought Sinead Monaghan was the only person actually campaigning on what she intends to do as Arts Programmes officer and it's very unfortunate/unfair that she didn't get either seat.

As a good friend of Sinead's I'm not gonna criticise the others since it'll be from a totally biased perspective! But I just wanna point out how amazingly well she did to come 3rd and come so close to getting a seat as someone who wasnt really involved in the union this year and ran from the perspective of an alienated arts student. She really did want to try change that alienation!

The more centrists the better!

Ah here now Butler, I hope you're not trying to claim that you're a centrist :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

turn out in science was only 326... pretty awful. far as i know it was tiernan 176 o farrel 150.

The fact that some students are exclusively in earlsfort terrace and had no voting facilities there is pretty appaling.

Advertisement