Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exec,PRO and refurendum results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

science was 345

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Oh my personal favourite was that health science voting was on wed, the day nursing, (which represents the vast majority of students there), had off. A whopping turnout of 57 was recorded there.

The only reason that was even achieved, was that a med lecture was held there instead of ET that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

passive wrote:
    (End the rip off, more books for the library etc.) -BS that has nothing to do with the position he was running for..

Thank you for bringing that up

As an elected representative of students of arts and human sciences i recognise that there is an outlet operating in our building which charge extortionate prices for food. Ive been active on the issue all year, and intend to press on next year. Lack of copies of text books is an issue that disproportionatley affects arts and social science students, we`ve all been in situations where a tutorial reading summary is due but can`t get a copy of the text, because there is only 5 copies to go around between 300 students in the class. I intend to run a sustained campaign on the issue next year, if anyone has any suggestions or is interested in joining it, feel free to contact me

Regards

Chris Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Go on the Bond Lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

dajaffa wrote:
    Oh my personal favourite was that health science voting was on wed, the day nursing, (which represents the vast majority of students there), had off. A whopping turnout of 57 was recorded there.

The only reason that was even achieved, was that a med lecture was held there instead of ET that day.

no polling stations in the hospitals either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

dajaffa wrote:
    Well (yet more) results are in. Gary redmond got comm + it and Donal got Irish lang officer, I think they both got the guts of 75/80% against RON. Stephen Qunlivan got Finanace and Carol-Anne Rushe got Women's officer, both got about 60% of the valid poll excluding RON (which there was a lot of in Women's compared to the rest.

Paul lynam was elected arts PRO onthe first count (he got the quota exactly), and Chris Bond got the second seat after transfers with Sinead Monoghan in 3rd, 25 behind Chris, with veronica 4th and conor 5th.

Jane Tiernan beat Niall to science PRO by about 30 votes.

Paddy Rath absolutley walked Business + Law PRO, with John Butler 2nd and Mairead 3rd.

Finally, in the ref, yes beat no by about five hundred votes, but with about 2,000 votes, they'll decide (argue) wether this reaches quorum or not in the coming days.
    I can't believe Eugeniya didn't get in, she seemed nice and experienced, unlike Frankenstein(get one of Quinivan manifestos and draw in the bolts and scars-hilarious)
    I wasn't given a ballot for comm & IT:confused:
    There was really only one choice for women's officer, Pheelen didn't even turn up.
    Pity about Conor, yeah about Lynam, a conservative whoop for Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

Pity about Conor, yeah about Lynam, a conservative whoop for Bond

Meh, kinda glad connor dixon didnt get it, he seems like an alright guy but i dont agree with his politics as far as i've been able to determine them. Lynam came into my 2nd History lecture and lets just say cold doesnt describe the reception he recieved. He obviously didnt know his audience. He talked about supporting the arts fashion show and UCD rugby. and on both counts there was a resounding groan from the audience in theatre M. The Bondlad's speech on the other hand was recieved whit whoops, whistles and applause. on the counts of personality/issues/personal politcs the Bondlad shoulda won hands down.

however as i've learned in my life: there is no accounting for people.

p.s. old english proverb : there are nowt as queer as folk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Meh, kinda glad connor dixon didnt get it, he seems like an alright guy but i dont agree with his politics as far as i've been able to determine them. Lynam came into my 2nd History lecture and lets just say cold doesnt describe the reception he recieved. He obviously didnt know his audience. He talked about supporting the arts fashion show and UCD rugby. and on both counts there was a resounding groan from the audience in theatre M. The Bondlad's speech on the other hand was recieved whit whoops, whistles and applause. on the counts of personality/issues/personal politcs the Bondlad shoulda won hands down.

however as i've learned in my life: there is no accounting for people.

p.s. old english proverb : there are nowt as queer as folk

Dead right there, he didn't go down well at all. (I know this cos I actually went to a lecture, whoop whoop!!).

Meh, kinda glad connor dixon didnt get it, he seems like an alright guy but i dont agree with his politics as far as i've been able to determine them.
    If that was ment as I took it, you are a very bad man.
    on the counts of personal politcs the Bondlad shoulda won hands down.
    Our opinions differ on Mr. Bond's personal politics.

If that was ment as I took it, you are a very bad man..

Excuse me? exactly what are you trying to insinuate from what was a fairly straight forward commentary?

I have spoken to the guy about four times in my ucd career thus far and i've attended council as an observer and in those two capacities i have developed an opion of Mr. Dixon's politics. I acknowledged that i found him to be amiable enough.

I would appreciate if you clarified exactly what part of my previous post led you to infer that i am
    a very bad man
    ?

• Advertisement

I'm unsure if I read too much into what you said or if there was a joke there. If there was no joke there then I apologise.

If anyone's wondering what Firespinner thought i meant, i discussed it with him in person, and i told him i was very insulted at the suggestion that i was poking fun at connor dixon. The fact that you jumped to that conclusion is awful given what i said.

perhaps you should read what people say more than once before accusing them of anything.

i'm aware that i tend to write things in a very unusual manner, i cant help that, (this will sound pretentious) but its just my style.

It wasn't your fault, one of the disadvantages of writing is that it has little inflection except for grammer or word-choice. If you had said that to me in person no mistake would have occured as your tone and inflection would have given the storey. I assure you that I was in no way judging your character, its just that I have noticed little jokes inserted into the writings of many boardsies (I am guilty of that), and I obviously saw something which was not there. I unreservadly apologise.

Oh yeah, in the ref Quorum was reached, I heard something rough about National election law, and no census of UCD students for years. Apparently they decided that 18,000 should be regarded as th student population, making quorum 1,800, which was well surpassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

ha it's way above 18K! How convient for the SU that they arrived at that total... Anyone want to place odds on how the SU guide for 2006/2007 will state "with a student population of over 20,000 UCD is the biggest college in ireland etc"

dajaffa wrote:
    Oh yeah, in the ref Quorum was reached, I heard something rough about National election law, and no census of UCD students for years. Apparently they decided that 18,000 should be regarded as th student population, making quorum 1,800, which was well surpassed.
    Did they disqualify Erasmus students?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yeah they did.
    I'm sure they would add them back too if it suited them.

Pythia wrote:
    Yeah they did.
    I'm sure they would add them back too if it suited them.
    I can't decide if I think its a good idea or not, on one hand they're not here but........you know

No actually. I've no idea about the exact details, but as there hasn't been an official census in years, (possibly ever), under national election law they can do this. I was up for yes anyway, but it's all so cheekily done. I'm suprised a major fuss hasn't been kicked up (queue major fuss being kicked up...)

We have a yes and a no, can I have a maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

It's an absolute disgrace that a quorum wasn't agreed on before hand.

How would someone go about appealing this result and the quorum reached?

It's an absolute disgrace that a quorum wasn't agreed on before hand.
    Not really. An oversight maybe but not even a real screw-up. Relax. It'll work out - Dan the Man will know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Not really. An oversight maybe but not even a real screw-up. Relax. It'll work out - Dan the Man will know what to do.

Yeah Dan's known for his firm hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

irlrobins wrote:
    How would someone go about appealing this result and the quorum reached?
    An appeal would have to be made to the IAB afaik

What form does the appeal need to be in? Would a numer of signatures be required? Any links to info on the IAB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Because you're appealing its own ruling it would have to have been submitted by either Saturday or Monday morning (because such an appeal must, I think, be lodged within 48 hours, and I'm unsure if weekends count), and such an appeal would have to be furnished with an explicit ground for doing so (which would likely be challenging their constitutional interprepation of 'membership of the Union' in this case).

Because the quorum isn't necessarily explicitly linked to the referendum but is merely to facilitate it, I'd think that it's up for anybody to appeal if desired, with no signatures needed. Probably submit such an appeal to the President or to the Returning Officer who would convene IAB meetings if need be.

On what grounds was the decision reached? Who was cut out etc.

www.ucd.ie states that the student pop is approx 22,000 with 2000 international students.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Great. So it's all Paddy's fault.

Again.

Advertisement