Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat noob help...

• 14-04-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Total noob at all this so any help will be great, cheers.

Me and my dad are thinking of getting a dish and all the other jazz for
    watching epl football but been honest i aint got a clue were to start
    so i just have a few questions if anyone can help out.

1- What exactly do i need?
    2- Were can i get all the stuff?
    3- Is there any place in Ireland that does it, Like installs of the dish n that?

Il start there LOL prob need more help do.

:EDIT: Ok now i know i need a ART Card but still not sure were to get
    one and what decoder i need and everything else really.

Also is there anyone in Limerick doin this? Like someone that does installs of the dish n that.

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Urlan TV probabily (Clare St. Limerick City). Though he isn't cheap.

I have been known to install stuff when people buy it and get stuck. Did you check the Sticky / suppliers at ICDG Satellite?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Also ICDGopedia in my sig.

You need a Digital receiver with CI
    A CAM recommended or approved by the ART folk
    The ART card
    An Universal LNB (0.6dB is fine)
    Suitable size dish. I don't know which satellite (decides dish, best bet for ART channels in Limerick is Hotbirds @13E), an 80cm or 88cm dish is recommended for Hotbirds here, especially when it rains heavy!
    CT100 cable
    2 x F-Connectors
    A decent not-gold SCART cable.
    About 2" of self amalgamating tape.
    Dish mount bracket if not included with dish (usually is).
    4 bolts to attach it to wall

www.satellite.ie is in Dublin and MUCH cheaper than the locals (e.g. Oliver in Urlan TV), but obviously won't install here.

DIY install is not that hard, but time consuming for a beginner (usually you end up with the wrong satellite to start with).

You will also get some good channels in English free:
    Russia Today
    BBC World TV
    Arriang TV
    VOA / CSpan TV
    Bloomberg

Some part time English:
    Challanger
    Nile TV International
    DW TV
    IBA Ch33

Actually maybe nearly a hundred interesting Free TV and Free Radio on Hotbird @13E

Maplin's setup while great value doesn't take a CAM. But if postage is high you can get a 90cm dish in the local MAPLIN. Also CT100 and F-Connectors (though not cheapest).

There is no download Cap on video from Satellite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

There is no download Cap on video from Satellite

Ha ha ha Thank god 4 that.

Cheers for the help watty, so would you say if i get all the gear id
    be able to put it up myself? I have all the time in the world so that
    wouldnt matter to me.

Would this be what im looking for
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Motorised_Pay_tv_system_using_Strong_receiver.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, though upgrade to an 88cm dish if you are going for motorised.

He does 88cm too.

You can have a go installing and give me a shout if you get stuck. A cheap sat bleeper/meter is a help to find a satellite, but for fine ajustment you use the level & quality meter bars on receiver.

Pole/ bracket must take wind load weight which is near 5 times the amount. Pole that the motor is on must be absolutely vertical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

K i got a 80cm dish today and im going to prob get the
    technomate 1500CI off ebay next week and another part
    of the set up week by week. Looks like im gonna try and install it
    myself...lol well im trying to tell myself i am anyway!

Iv been reading about this dreambox reciver whats the diff?

And another thing is there a way i can have this set up on say my tv downstairs
    and in my bedroom? Like split the connection.

Is the CT100 what i would use to run from the dish to the reciver?

Thx sorry bout all the questions i just want to get this all right before
    i fek it all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

ricey wrote:
    Iv been reading about this dreambox reciver whats the diff?.
    dreambox has a hard drive
    ricey wrote:
    And another thing is there a way i can have this set up on say my tv downstairs
    and in my bedroom? Like split the connection.
    No
    You could use a videosender but you will end up with the same channel on both TVs

ricey wrote:
    Is the CT100 what i would use to run from the dish to the reciver?.
    Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Trevord

I went from knowing nothing about sat dish TV to knowing slightly more than nothing in the space of a few weeks. Got more than enough help through this board and the links it recommends to get set up.

Had a few minor problems mostly unrelated to the equipment. But these were sorted easily enough

Based on my personal (limited) experience I would actually say that the most difficult task for a newbie is to gauge where they will be able to put the dish.

If the aspect of your house is favourable and there is absence of line of sight obstacles such as neighbours trees, you'll get a decent signal with the dish about 7 or 8 feet off the ground (or even at ground level) , low enough to do the install with a step ladder.

On the other hand if you find that you need to get up around roof level then it becomes more of a challenge. You need a bit of a head for heights.

Its helps if others nearby have dishes, you get a feel for where you’ll need to put it before you buy it.

Advertisement