Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil question

Options
  • 14-04-2006 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to mix engine oil types?....my car normally uses 20w50, but i was in a pinch, (light coming on..a lot!)called the mechanic i use, he said i'd get away with 15w40 for the moment

should i keep using the 15w40 or change it back to the other stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

giftgrub wrote:
    Is it ok to mix engine oil types?....my car normally uses 20w50, but i was in a pinch, (light coming on..a lot!)called the mechanic i use, he said i'd get away with 15w40 for the moment

should i keep using the 15w40 or change it back to the other stuff?
    did you just top up with the 15W40 or do a full change?

just don't mix types of oil, i.e. synthetic with mineral or semi with mineral or semi with fully synthetic.

Try to stick with the oil that the manufacturer recommends for your engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Lex Luthor wrote:
    did you just top up with the 15W40 or do a full change?

topped up....the level on the dipstick was just below the minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

It should be ok if your just topping up. In general its best to stick with one type, but most people don't bother doing this and often mix oil types. It doesn't do the engine any favours and can lead to problems later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you car has longlife service intervals you should be careful as lower quality oil will shorten you service interval. Of course if your car has regular service intervals then it's ok to mix them as long the oil is in spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you should be ok by topping up as long as the oils were the same type, but I would do a full oil change & filter asap and use the oil grade specified by the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement