Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Prepay to Postpay

• 14-04-2006 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭

My dad is spending roughly €40 on credit each month on Vodafone RTG. He's asked me (well, I suggested ;)) to look into getting onto a bill phone. I've looked at the various price plans on the 4 different networks and Three seems to be the best.

I've let him know about the €25 100 minutes+texts tariff, which would probably suit him best (even though he'd talk more than text...), and the price of the phones also. He didn't realise that he'd have to change his phone. According to him, his Nokia 6100 is the best phone he's ever had. He'd probably get used to the Nokia 6680 (the other phones on Three don't look as good - he doesn't like flip phones), although it might be a bit too big and have too many features he wouldn't use.

Would he have to use a 3G phone in order to be on Three, or could he unlock his 6100 and continue to use that? I wouldn't mind taking over the 6680 if he didn't want it :p He could have my 6230 if that'd make a difference...

Failing that, anyone have any other suggestions for cutting down on the credit he goes through?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

to be on 3 you have to have a 3g phone. a 2g one won't accept the sim. and you wouldn't be able to take the 6680 because only three can unlock it and they'll only do it if you pay off the whole years monthly payments. to be honest i don't think 3 would suit him. 40 a month on vodafone is equivalent to about 20 on meteor. get him to switch to meteor for a month or two and see how he likes that.

he can move the number over, he just has to buy a sim pack for €10, he can use the same phone once its unlocked at www.trycktill.com and if he's not satisfied he can go to 3 then. and you can view all your calls on meteor so he can get an idea of where hes spending the most credit. meteor's offers at the mo:
    free met-met texts
    or
    5c met-met calls
    or
    5c texts to all networks (150 texts for €7.50)

even without these offers they're much cheaper than voda.

long story short, get him to try meteor for a while. if he goes to 3 straight away he'll be stuck in a years contract but he can try met for a month and if he doesn't like it he can go to 3 then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thanks Vimes. Didn't think of switching to another PAYG, thought they'd all be more expensive than bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Best thing to do is go to www.callcosts.ie, put in the details and they will tell you which is cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Thanks Vimes. Didn't think of switching to another PAYG, thought they'd all be more expensive than bill pay.

not necessarily. i have a phone on 3 for calls but my gf likes to text a lot so i have another phone on the meteor free texts. saves me massive amounts

Advertisement