Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial up modem problem

Options
  • 14-04-2006 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Computer is running Win XP Professional. When you try to connect to the ISP there appears to be no dial tone and it times out, keeps trying to reconnect.
    The modem is a Lucent Win modem. I booted up in Safe Mode and tried to re-install the modem but got the following error message;
    "Can't load Remote Access Connection Manager......error 711, a configuration error on this computer is preventing this connection"

According to Device manager the modem is working properly. I don't know if the USB printer is clashing with the COM1 port with the modem?

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Hi,
    From here(then edited for your situation) : http://www.modemsite.com/56k/duns711.asp

711 - RasMan initialization failure. Check the event log.

If this error occurs without removal or change to previously working modem, it may be possible that the modem has been damaged and can no longer operate.

To resolve this problem, make sure the Plug and Play service is running. RightClick MyComputer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services

If the modem has been removed from the machine and replaced with another, you need to add the new modem to RAS(Remote Access Service): Control Panel -> Phones and Modems: Remove from the list of installed RAS modems any modem that is no longer present, and install (add) the new modem.

If the error persists, check that the modem driver has been properly installed. You can determine whether the modem works by using Hyperterminal connected directly to the modem's COM port (which does not require RAS). If the modem doesn't respond to AT commands in Hyperterminal, the modem driver may need to be removed and re-installed.

Hope this helps in some way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

My dial-up modem got buggered months ago so brought it to computer shop. He said it can't be fixed and thought it was because a huge amount of power went through the phone line and blew up the modem or something like that.
    Got broadband so didn't need to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Computer is running Win XP Professional. When you try to connect to the ISP there appears to be no dial tone and it times out, keeps trying to reconnect.
    The modem is a Lucent Win modem. I booted up in Safe Mode and tried to re-install the modem but got the following error message;
    "Can't load Remote Access Connection Manager......error 711, a configuration error on this computer is preventing this connection"

According to Device manager the modem is working properly. I don't know if the USB printer is clashing with the COM1 port with the modem?

Can anyone help?

I used to have a Lucent Win Modem and everytime I tried to connect I would get the same error. So what I needed to do is to remove the phone cable from the point in the wall (or the modem itself - try both) and then reconnect it and then it dialled away happily.

Dunno if this'll work for u but give it a bash.

Also, did the modem ever work?

Q

Advertisement