Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want To Buy Apartment Private Sale

Options
  • 14-04-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Anyone out there who may have an apartment for sale with parking in Dublin City Centre, D7, D8 or D12, Please let me know.

I have been looking for the last few months, am loan approved, have a solicitor and have a ready deposit. I have been to see many, many properties but the market is like a crocodie hunt! I am fed up with dealing with estate agents who are so slick and translucently false and superficial that I cant trust what they are saying to me. I have bidded a few times, but I always have the impression the price is being massively inflated until some equity rich investor buyers come along and throw the place out of the water to get tax relifef!!! I thought I would try another route. The advantage to you is real, you save on lining some estate agents pockets and use it towards your next purchase!!!!

ANYWAY HOPE THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE
    THANKS
    :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

whats your budget out of interst, one bed or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tazdustdevil

am prepared to pay the standard sort of prices apartments are going for in those areas at the moment. Obviously, the amount would depend on individual property but I have done alot of research over the last few months and I know what apartments are going for you see.

cool, try daft.ie
    the problem is at that end there is hugh competition, u need to bid a few grand more than its worth or alternatively when u place a bid, go down to their office and hand them a copy of your solicitor details,and banks statement, and loan approval. then they know u are serious, also time limit the offer.
    best of luck with the hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Sorry Im not offering anything but I know how you feel. Im in the same boat at the moment. An estate agent rang me up Wednesday with a property similar to one I was an underbidder on. She said they were looking for a quick sale (they didnt even have a brochure yet) and gave me the asking price. I offered asking price and now they want more.

thanx to you both
    yep i am a permanent resident on daft and myhome, property ladder and property partners. I went round estate agents to try and leave details but they are so commission happy they dont even try and sell!!! There is not much coming up on the websites you see and there are between 14 and 20 viewers at each property. Its like a circus!!! Am thinking of putting an ad in one of the papers. You dont know whether you are bidding against yourself most of the time and the estate agents seem to be picking people. I have made an offer on one property- might do what you suggest and drop in the loan approval and bank statement next week.

Good luck to us all who are tring to buy 2nd hand property- its a scary market!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's a seller's market out there. If you want to buy you have to look like you mean it. The estate agent doesn't know you, and has no idea whether you are really serious about buying. You're not going to like me saying this, but the agent is actually doing you a favour by spending time with you at all. Estate agency isn't a social service.

An ad in the paper? I wouldn't waste my time (tried it myself a few years ago myself). The problem is that in a seller's market it would be unwise of the seller to try and save the agent's fee when finding the right buyer might pay an extra 10 or 20k for the property. The other problem is that if someone isn't serious enough about selling to engage an agent and put up a sign, or at the very least put an ad in Daft or Buy and Sell, they may not be serious enough to actually go through with selling it to you.

Good luck with it and don't be surprised if you have to get a little bit aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I have no love of estate agents but some of what being said here is not true and goes down to a lack of knowledge.

First off the "lot of reseach" on prices so you know whta prices are is nonsence. Unless you work in all the estae agents you never get to know the price. The guide prices are not what the place goes for and the amount it goes for is only know by the buyer,sellers and those handling the paper work. THe general public don't know. If prices were transparent it would most likely help people but it hasn't happene.

THe idea that you are bidding against your self is called being paranoid. Again it is something you don't know.

The assumption that the person selling is some investor is again some made up fear.

The truth is it is a tuff place to be when buying making up ideas of what is happening won't help you get your place. While I understand it is frustrating you ned to look at this clearly. THis is a property you are buying and probably the largest purcahse of your life. You must look at the facts and deal from there.
    First off guide prices tend to be 10-20% below the expected price. The estate agent is not telling the truth assume that and no matter who is selling the owner wants the most money. There is no need to exagerate the reasons just accept them and move on and get what you want or as close to you can afford.

I appreciate your wisdom and advice morning star but frankly its a tad patronising and you are obviously not in my position since you are so knowledgeable. I was not expecting a miracle or pretending to know everything, just stating what a nightmare I perceive the whole market to be. I have a right to free speech and I dont trust what is going on. I have also read of other peoples experiences on boards and if it was all so squeaky clean there would be less people on here writing about it. I dont purport to be sure about any of my concerns but I am certainly not paranoid. Clearly you are not buying or selling any of your properties at the moment or you would know what I am talking about. I have been looking for a few months and the market has heated up exorbitantly in the last month. When I am bidding and then being outbid, I can assure you I know pretty close to what properties are being sold for. We dont all enjoy the same privileges of having been in a position to cash in on Irelands Celtic Tiger and invest exorbitantly over the last 10 years. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tazdustdevil-
    The Sunday Business Post had a story last week about how the nos. of properties hitting the market in the last 4 months has dropped considerably, particularly in the second hand market. They expect this to change (it normally hots up between now and June, dies off over the summer and then gets back again around Sept).
    It could well be that more properties will be available later in the year.

I was talking to Coonan in Maynooth this afternoon myself about Moyglen Hall. They have no idea how many properties the builder will be releasing for sale (prob. about 30) or when (they say sometime between now and Nov). They were unable to tell me the size of the gardens or the nos. of types of houses (they do have a brochure describing the types though). They are also unable to advise what prices the houses are going for (its phase 2- they are hinting that phase 1 prices +20-25% is possible) They are looking for expressions of interest based on this level of information. Whats worse is they have several hundred people interested in their 30 houses (a 4/5 bed detached for 620-655k a 4 bed semi for 480k eeek........)

Its all insane.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

smccarrick wrote:
    tazdustdevil-
    The Sunday Business Post had a story last week about how the nos. of properties hitting the market in the last 4 months has dropped considerably, particularly in the second hand market.

I absolutely believe this. There seems to be all sorts of gambits on the part of estate agents to get houses on their books - one estate agent in my locality was offering free holiday accommodation for the first x sales agreed. I'm of the opinion that they are desperate for houses.

• Advertisement

well at the end of the day with property rising at the rate it is, ud have to be brain dead to be selling unless u are buying something else/need money/ cant afford the repayments/moving abroad.
    likewise taz if u see something u want id go for it if i was u, if you cant afford it then drop your expectations slightly.
    there is a method to buy property which i explained above, the gentlemanlyness is out of the equation when theirs cash and hugh volumes of it at stake unless u are buying off family or friends.
    they are only going to keep going in dublin center so id pick something and quick...
    im not acting patronising im just being realistic, ive faced this problem myself, i paid 70 grand to a vendors solicitor/agents deposit and signed contracts on a long lease that was technically unmortgageable and had no value. we were negotiating lease terms with the vendors solicitor, when the vendor told the agent that if we didnt sign he was selling to another interested party for alot more. can u imagine what it feels like to courier that kind of money the next day and sign on something thats not right and has serious problems?
    welcome to the real world, and good luck:)
    incidentally it seems to have worked out ok,just waiting to receive countersigned contracts back,the vendors solicitor made the required changes AFTER we paid, moral of the story is u need to think outside the normal envelope in these changing times

Thanks Lomb and SMCarrick. Good advice. I did try faxing the solicitors with loan approval during the week but then sadly, the price for a 1 bed went way over what they had been going for in the same complex two weeks ago- so I had to drop out. However since I have been faxing the loan approval, estate agents have been contacting me with a bit more enthuasiasm!!!!!!

Please dont be offended lomb, I wasnt saying you or later posters were patronising. I just found poor morning star's reply a bit harsh after a disappointing day on the search for what will probably end up being a shanty town apt. to live in!!!!!:) Its been another week of lessons! I am sick of learning! I just wonder will I be an expert by the end of this or have I missed the property famine ship? You would swear I was searching for a 300 million euro mansion, there is so little on the market...... THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

lomb wrote:
    cool, try daft.ie
    the problem is at that end there is hugh competition, u need to bid a few grand more than its worth or alternatively when u place a bid, go down to their office and hand them a copy of your solicitor details,and banks statement, and loan approval. then they know u are serious, also time limit the offer.
    best of luck with the hunt

If someone did that in my office, I'd shake there hand and know that there 100% serious and I'd let the vendor know that straight away. Estate agents are getting sick of sales taking so long to go through and its mainy the buyers fault, and too much messing going on. ie telling me they don't like the view 4 weeks into the sale is not the time, when you view the propety first time is the time!!!!

Advertisement