Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study?

Options
  • 14-04-2006 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

It's the Easter hols and the big LC is drawing ever closer and I was just wondering how many hours of studying people are putting in each day??

How many hours of study? 30 votes

None! I'm on HOLIDAYS!
    0% 0 votes
    About an hour
    33% 10 votes
    Upto 2hours
    23% 7 votes
    Upto 3 hours
    26% 8 votes
    Over 3 hours
    16% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

none, i work and earn my books. i dont have time to study them as a result but at least ive got my priorities right.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

5 or 6, but should be doing more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Atm, none. But I'm taking the first week off. Will get to work next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Raphael wrote:
    Atm, none. But I'm taking the first week off. Will get to work next week.

Me too, but I'm starting to feel guilty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hell to that! Try drowning that guilt in gaming, it's what I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Well I was doing 2 institute classes this week which were 1 1/2 hours each, and then another hour or so at home. If you count the classes then around 4 hours a day, if not...........well let's just count the classes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

It's not how much, it's how much quality study you need personally to prepare you optimally for your exams.

You might like to explore:

http://www.examsuccesstips.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I wz good at d start of d week doin 6 hours on monday and tue and 4 on wed!ever since i hvnt done a tap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I did three institute classes a day and then about an hour at homee, might take the weekned and then get back on the 4 or 5 hours a day for monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Raphael wrote:
    Hell to that! Try drowning that guilt in gaming, it's what I do.

Hehe, dont I know it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Christ it's killing me to do more than an hour!! I'm f*cked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

im not "studying"... i was given too much homework to do..
    i suppose some call it study.. but hhmmm. many many essays to be done.

if i concentrate, i'd do about 4hrs work a day.
    well that was last week.

next week.. probably the same.
    every other day kinda.. im takin things easy, not really doing a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i took this week off, apart from an hour or two of biology.
    im gonna try get 2-4 hours a day done this week though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

I did a revision course in chemistry this week and took the weekend off-last weekend off for the next two months so I enjoyed it! going to really get some serious work done this week- I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭IbanezFreak

Rockerette wrote:
    im not "studying"... i was given too much homework to do..
    QUOTE]

Thanks so much for reminding me Ive got 2 papers to do! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

I made an arse of my mocks, so i get grinds wednesdays and saturdays for maths every week for the last 2 months. And since the start of the holidays its at least 2 hours a day, once i hit back to school, probley gonna scale up the studying to 2 hours weekdays, 3 or so weekends.

And this week ontop of studying, i gotta write up my geog/LCVP & Construction brief/papers.

All i need is 210 points, and a Pass in maths all going well ;)

~ Idgeitman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I studied from about 8:30am til 6:30pm. With a couple of very short breaks. And I remember stuff. This is insane. First proper day's study, the past week was pretty much nothing, this makes up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I studied from about 8:30am til 6:30pm. With a couple of very short breaks. And I remember stuff. This is insane. First proper day's study, the past week was pretty much nothing, this makes up a bit.

That's insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

10hrs? fecking hell, well done! Don't ever see myself doing that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

10 hours. That is too much inmo! Still fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

i did v well in my Leaving Cert but that was partly because I spent a good bit of time examining previous papers to see patterns in questions and then studied those issues I saw coming up. I'd recommend doing that, particularly in History, English and Irish. Having said that I did my Leaving Cert 10 years ago this year (typing that has made me feel old) and things might have changed. Also if you want to do well in English, take a look at one or two academic books about the play. I got my highest ever score in English in my actual Leaving Cert and I'm convinced it's because I had a two or three relevant quotes from books on Hamlet. Makes it seem like a University answer. Maybe other schools do that anyway, mine was crap and I went away and got the book quotes on my own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

it quality and not quanty, dont worry to much bout leaving cert (like thats easy) once ye get a college place you will wonder why ye freaked out bout the leaving cert. just try to remeber its a ticket to college or other future careers. NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. promise ya tat.

just do a few hours a day, probably now harm taking the easter or whatever left of it off. just do loads of notes up and try out past papers and beg ur teacher to glance over them.

CONCENTRATE ON UR WEAK SUBJECTS A LITTLE MORE, at least your notes done up for stronger subjects will be like a cramping session a few days before the exam. no point having all the work fresh in the mind now and be f&*cked a week before the exams. just try not to freak out or ya will be definitely be screwed. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I really should get around to making some notes for my subjects...never struck me as something I needed to do until now.

ye jd (da last guy is right) get ur own books in library etc like in a university or it. if ya do history there is a great book called 'green flag of ireland, ahistory of irish nationalism" by robert kee. it way better than most of them crappy history books in school. in papers your asked to analyise, assess, and discuss things like de valera and why the treaty came about etc, books like tat or books by tim pat coogan on collins and dev are brilliant for quotes etc and more depth analysis. (be carefull cause some authors can be very biased and always cite the author when using references eg according to the author of .... )

if your lucky to have a decent teacher he will help you out with essays etc cause no point learning loads and it info not been relevant. if your interested in history you probably like comparing the past with future eg northern ireland useful to show off ur knowledge and understanding of the situation.

Thing with subjects like history and geoagraphy and english is that its not just how much ya know but how ya structured it in an essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 orlib

I did my LC last year + I got 530 points which was way above what i'd expected. What I did was study for a minimum of 1/2 an hour a day + I started with the subject I hated the most(irish all the way!) that gets it out of the way. If you like a subject its most likely that you're good at it and therefore don't need to spend to long on it. Also it's good to take a day off once a fortnight to relax. Try to get at least one 3 hour session a week + have a set day for it so you can't avoid it. Its pretty useful to give yourself short breaks of about 5 minutes every so often to clear your head + don't study before bed cos you'll be to tired. Good Luck!

making your own notes IS THE ONLY WAY. on the night before exam you do not wanna be flicking back and forth of pages from chunky english books and copies that are full of scribbles and crap bot who woz ere and who' a ride at the edge of copies (ah the memories)

get time and do it on a computer and print out your own booklet. especially geography, do ye still have that question worth 50% that asks you to study a country like spain or sweeden. well get all your copies outtype it up add, scan out the maps of the country ye drew in class an paste to da page. there ya are all the info ya need in few pages. i did it an even my geography teacher was impressed asking if he could make copies for others and it worked

some might think this sounds drastic but if its done the last week before exams wont feel bad.

Funkstard wrote:
    10hrs? fecking hell, well done! Don't ever see myself doing that much

Bear in mind the complete lack of study the rest of Easter! Then it's nothing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

you're my hero.......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

All that study to live off people's pain and misery! Shame on you Aoibheann;)

• Advertisement

I'm sorry! *feels ashamed*

(mmm, pain and misery :p)

Focussed far too much on maths and physics though and didn't finish all my english, so the essays are piling up! I think that's a fair punishment for me.

And by fair, I mean unfair. It's evil!

Advertisement