Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Training for Boxers

• 14-04-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

What kind of training works well for boxers,

Please post training programs/schedules

I am interested to see what kind of training is done at the boxing gyms here.

What equipment is availible at the gyms where you guys train.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

A standard workout would be as follows (this is the way I like to do it anyway):

Start off with a warmup i.e. gentle excercise just to get the muscles warm. Usually jumping jacks, running on the spot, moving on the toes etc.

Stretch. I hate stretching but I always make sure to do loads. I always feel much better after a full body stretch.

3 x 2 minute rounds off shadow boxing (practice combos and movement. Also helps speed)

3 x 2 minute rounds of sparring

3 x 2 minute rounds of heavy bag work (increases power obviously and again practice combos)

work on the speed ball for a few minutes continuosly i.e. no breaks (helps hand eye coordination)

Floorwork (situps, leg raises, medicine ball work(thats a big heavy leather ball that is usually thrown at the stomach to get you used to body blows), push ups etc.)

Rope jumping for as long as I can (improves coordination, footwork and stamina)

I think thats pretty standard. Im not doing it long so thats the times I feel comfortable with. Im sure a lot of people will do certain excercises for longer or have different ways of doing things but the excercises mentioned are the standard ones done in boxing gyms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bronco

Hi Babybing, Cheers for the reply,

for the medicine ball work, to you do different drills.
    As in throws and different types of sityups.

What about road work

Do you do any,

if so how much,

I do road work. Id say anyone serious about boxing would definately do roadwork. I am only starting out and Im not sure how serious I am about it but Id definately recommend road work (I actually find it quite enjiyable). At the moment I just jog at a steady pace for 30 minutes(Im not that fit:o ), but I will be hoping to build it up. For boxing its recommended to mix in some sprint work with the jogging as boxing, esp. at amateur level, is a high intesity type activity rather that an endurance activity and also because this best mimics a fught (short periods of high intensity-sprinting mixed with lulls-jogging). You could jog for five minutes and then sprint for a minute or something like that. But if your only starting or arent that fit id recommend taking it easy like myself for a while and just getting used to it.

As for the medicine ball there are loads of different drills that can be done. You can just throw it standing up or One person lies on there back while a standing person throws the ball down onto there stomach and then the ball is thrown back to the standing person (hope you can picture that:p ). You can stand back to back and hand the ball to each other by twisting around. You can just get someone to hit you in the stomach repeatedly with it while lieing down or while your doing sit ups or leg raises depending on how masochistic you are:D . Tbh its not used that often in the club I go to but I like it and think its useful (youll understand why when you get your first hard body blow while sparring:eek: :eek: :eek: ).

As I said im not the most experienced on the subject and this is just my opinion on things. Haveing said that though I think most of the advice ive given is sound. Hope this helps(med ball bit is a bit cryptic but it is a saturday:p ) any questions just ask.

P.S. I try to do 3-4 days of roadwork a week, with a rest day after each day of roadwork. As I mentioned at the moment im just trying to get my body used to it. Ill also say I do the roadwork because I like it, I have the time for it and for the general health benefits of it not just for boxing.

Hi BabyBing,

I realy am greatful for anything that you have told me,

You're descriptions are on the money, I know exactially what you are describing

You don't come across like some of the so called experts, so I appreciate the honest account.

What are the good clubs around Dublin, you are right about the sprint sessions

Do you do any free weight exercises????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 shaneo3

with free weights, it is a lot better in boxing to do more reps of lighter weights just to tone muscle and keep it as lean as you can, ive been boxing for 6 years and this works well especialy to get your arms nice and veiny :D resistance traing also works well for this, there are rubber ropes you can get for shadow boxing with hand grips that go around your back, this and the free weights all help your muscle stamina and speed. when doing the free weights do them very fast this goes the same for push-ups chin-ups dips etc. in amateur boxing it is all about the speed and fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Until the Real deal came along, weights were always considered a No No in boxing, as they were seen to maybe slow a fighter down and make him stiff as opposed to flexible. However, light exercise with weights could be beneficial and Ricky Hatton is one fighter who does this. Road work is essential for stamina and endurance as well as leg power. Bag work for both stamina, punch power and speed. You should also try using ankle weights whilst training. They are fantastic and give you serious bounce when you take them off.

walshb wrote:
    You should also try using ankle weights whilst training.

And wrist weights or very light dumbbells while your shadow boxing are a great training aid imo if it hasnt already been mentioned in this thread:p

I heard that lifting heavy weights for low reps made you faster.

Ankle weights are a bad idea as they can increase the shock load while running.

What kind of medicine ball routines do boxers here do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bronco, maybe using the ankle weights running on a hard surface is not a great idea, but for use in the gym whilst shadow boxing and even sparring is top notch. Medicine ball work is basically to harden the stomach. You lie down on your back and get someone to bang the medicine ball off you stomach repeatedly across the whole of the stomach and sides. You'll see a 6 pack in no time. You can also do sit ups while the ball is thrown into your arms.

Advertisement