Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

''Integrated'' stereos?

Options
  • 14-04-2006 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to buy my first car in the next few months and I want to able to replace the head unit with one I can plug my MP3 player into. I have one of the FM transmitter gadgets, but it's not very good, very hissy and frequent interference.

A lot of more recent cars seem to have 'integrated' CD stereo systems built into the dash, for example the SEAT Ibiza...

SeatIbiza-Used1151772003171339.jpg

What (if any) are my options here? Will I have to limit myself to cars with 'slot-in' units? Unfortunately, my budget will not stretch to a new iPod-ready Toyota Aygo or BMW 1-series! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

Nothing you can do if you get an ibiza like that.but most intergrated units do come out

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Leaving a big ugly gaping hole and loose wires?

Nothing you can do if you get an ibiza like that.but most intergrated units do come out.you can get an ipod adapter for any make of car.

Nothing you can do if you get an ibiza like that.but most intergrated units do come out.you can get an ipod adapter for any make of car.

Do you mean an FM transmitter? As I said, have one of them and it's pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

FM transmittors or I-trips don't work very well, especially if the aerial is at the back of the car. An FM modulator that actually plugs into the aerial socket on the back of the stereo gives a better signal with less interferance

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Unfortunately, a lot of new cars nowadays have these integrated systems that take over have the centre column. Don't know of many cars that have a standard stereo, though Kia comes to mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

colm_mcm wrote:
    FM transmittors or I-trips don't work very well, especially if the aerial is at the back of the car.

I have a tunecast, which had similar problems with poor power until I did this mod. It now works fantastically well. I use it in my apartment to play music in different rooms.

There's a similar mod for the itrip.

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

You can get a cable to plug into the back of the stereo for about 15 euro. This will allow you to play the stereo as an AUX input.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Even aux-in ain't the best to tell the truth....my radio has both a direct connection to my iPod and an aux-in and the sound quality from the aux-in is quite poor and crackly.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

fletch wrote:
    Even aux-in ain't the best to tell the truth....my radio has both a direct connection to my iPod and an aux-in and the sound quality from the aux-in is quite poor and crackly.....

Then there is something wrong with the head unit or cable. Or the volume on the output is too high or too low.

A lot of stereos, particularly budget ones don't have aux-in though.

For most makes a faceplate adapter can be got to cover the big gap removing the integrated stereo leaves.

If you only want CD and mp3 player another option is to use a wire-in FM modulator and disconnect the lead from the car aerial so there is no interference from broadcast stations.

mots intergrated stereos don't have an Aux in, that's the whole point

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I have a €100 stereo from Argos that connects perfectly to my iPod (it is iPod specific) and I control the iPod through the stereo headunit.

It seemed silly to really splash out on a car worth less than 5k and in the end I'm really chuffed with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

my good old €80 aldi mp3 cd head unit is still serving me well. Beats the crap tape deck that came installed in the car anyways. Handy that the car takes standard iso head units rather than any integrated stuff.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

serrity wrote:
    I'm hoping to buy my first car in the next few months and I want to able to replace the head unit with one I can plug my MP3 player into. I have one of the FM transmitter gadgets, but it's not very good, very hissy and frequent interference.

A lot of more recent cars seem to have 'integrated' CD stereo systems built into the dash, for example the SEAT Ibiza...

SeatIbiza-Used1151772003171339.jpg

What (if any) are my options here? Will I have to limit myself to cars with 'slot-in' units? Unfortunately, my budget will not stretch to a new iPod-ready Toyota Aygo or BMW 1-series! :(

What type of car are ya getting?

I'm getting a new focus in a few weeks and it comes with a Aux line in

Don't know yet, probably won't be buying until July/August at the earliest.

My budget is €6,000 so most likely a secondhand Polo, Punto, Ibiza, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

colm_mcm wrote:
    mots intergrated stereos don't have an Aux in, that's the whole point

Most integrated head units don't have a direct Aux in, but you can get a cable fitted that create an Aux in. Have a look at http://www.evilution.co.uk/lead.htm and you see that they make a cable for the standard grundig head unit in a smart car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

John R wrote:
    Then there is something wrong with the head unit or cable. Or the volume on the output is too high or too low.
    Bought a higher quality cable and the interference seems to be gone now...

smarty wrote:
    Most integrated head units don't have a direct Aux in, but you can get a cable fitted that create an Aux in. Have a look at http://www.evilution.co.uk/lead.htm and you see that they make a cable for the standard grundig head unit in a smart car.

The standard Grundig unit in the Smart has an input for a CD changer. it uses this input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

friend of mine has a hyundai accent 01. Had integrated tapedeck,and id looked crap. It covered the center console from top to bottom. He went to hyundai who supplied him with a new facia plate for the center console. Which was the same console but with the din stereo hole instead of the tapedeck. cost 50odd euro. So there is life after integrated stereos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

While integrated units can be a pain, they came about mainly for security so ur leavin urself mor open to the thing being robbed if u put in a non standard stereo. There's a thing u can get for iPods, can't remember what it's called but u tune the radio to a frequency that picks it up(which you set yourself) try one of them, A friend has one and it's great

Advertisement