Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Rising commemoration in Galway

Options
  • 14-04-2006 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭

Galway was one of the few counties, along with Dublin, Wexford, Louth, and Tyrone, which went ahead with the Rising - which took place on Easter Monday April 23 1916. The Galway Rising was led by Liam Mellows and during the rebellion, James Connolly wrote: "In Galway, Captain Mellows, fresh after his escape in an English prison, is in the field with his men."

Fianna Fáil will hold its 1916 Commemoration on Easter Sunday, starting with Mass at St Patrick's Church, Forster Street at 11am, followed by a parade around the newly opened Eyre Square to the Liam Mellows statue. The event is organised by the Castlegar Cumann and the North and East, and South and West, Galway City Comhairle Cheantairs.

Sinn Féin will be in Eyre Square at 3pm on Easter Sunday at the Liam Mellows statue where the main oration will be given by Michael MacDonacha, former editor of An Phoblacht and Sinn Fein head of administration in Leinister House. Wreath laying ceremonies will follow in Bohermore Cemetery at the graves of Micheal Breathnach and Seosamh MacLiathain.

Republican Sinn Féin will assemble at Queally's Cross, Caherlistrane, Easter Sunday at 3pm and march to the Republican plot at Donoghpatrick Cemetery. The main speaker will be Dan Hoban, of Newport, Co Mayo. Earlier on Sunday morning, a commemoration will be held at the Liam Mellows Statue in Eyre Square, Galway, at 11.30am. There will also be a wreath laying and Mr Hoban will also address this event.

Wreath-laying ceremonies will be held at the grave of volunteer Séamas Ó Máillein in Oughterard on Easter Saturday at 7pm and at the grave of Fr Michael Griffin, Loughrea Cathedral, at 11.45am on Easter Sunday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Why are all these things on Esater Sunday? Didnt the rising go ahead on Easter Monday? Anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

Prob for convenience, what commemorations will you be attending, i for one will be marching down O'Connel st with my Unit passing by the GPO, cant wait for it, its nice to know that people respect the people before us who faught for Irish Freedom so that we could rule ourselves and not have any foreign nation rule us such as the famous banner that was above the GPO during that time said "we serve neither King nor Kaiser but Ireland" and that we are the one and only Oglaigh na hEireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

nollaig wrote:
    Why are all these things on Esater Sunday? Didnt the rising go ahead on Easter Monday? Anybody know?

Yeah it happened Easter Monday (which was April 24th that year so the dates don't seem to matter :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There was some small event in Oranmore this evening about 5:30,dont know what it was - just a few people,about 20,going into the old churchyard.

Seven Worlds will Collide

What a day i had! I loved everyminute of it, i never felt so happier to be in the Reserve and to be Irish marchin down the streetes of Dublin to see men and women waving the tricolour and applauses and shouts of well done to us it was a moment il never ever forget as long as i live, i hope people watched us at home in Galway on TV and i hope people are proud of us and the DF as a whole as the DF are widely recognised as the best of the best in the World for Peacekeeping and Humanitarian duties in Serving Ireland and the UN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭blueshirt

What a day i had! I loved everyminute of it, i never felt so happier to be in the Reserve and to be Irish marchin down the streetes of Dublin to see men and women waving the tricolour and applauses and shouts of well done to us it was a moment il never ever forget as long as i live, i hope people watched us at home in Galway on TV and i hope people are proud of us and the DF as a whole as the DF are widely recognised as the best of the best in the World for Peacekeeping and Humanitarian duties in Serving Ireland and the UN.
    you seem like an easy to please soul.

Just proud to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭blueshirt

Just proud to be Irish.
    But wouldn’t you be a tad more proud if we had a few modern jet fighters? Not the Gilbert and Sullivan show we seen over the skies in Dublin? It was so embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We have them in Galway every year, shame about the Dubs and their subsonic civilian jet flyover .

A nice B1 with a blast of afterburner is yer only man .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Blackjack

blueshirt wrote:
    But wouldn’t you be a tad more proud if we had a few modern jet fighters? Not the Gilbert and Sullivan show we seen over the skies in Dublin? It was so embarrassing.

Troll

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I was most impressed with the navy bringing RIBs on trailers down O'Connell St. Most surreal.

Of course i would but you cant have everything so dont start on it believe me id love some fast jets but to be honest my AC preference would be the A10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the A10 cannot carry decent AAM payloads , a Super Etandard or failing that an Atlantique would probably be what we need for our Air Corps.

A B1 would be great , useless but black and noisy !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I can't wait for the 91st anniversary celebrations...

what are you like the A10 is the dogs bollox

dogs bollox

Advertisement