Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Networking Problem

Options
  • 14-04-2006 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

This one is a little a strange and just wanted to know if anyone had seen the same problem (and hopefully solved it):

After a certain amount of time (it's seems to be different all the time, but would be measured in hours or days), my XP machine becomes unconnectable. I can't ping it from any other machine on the network (I have an XP laptop and a Linux server). I can ping other machines from it, but not the other way around. Once I reboot, I can connect again. (It's not just ping - no TCP/IP connections work - e.g. I can start a Cygwin X server, but the Linux box can't connect to it.)

I tried re-installing Windows, but this didn't help.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

It could be a dodgy network card. Or it could be a flakey port on your hub/switch. Given that you've re-installed your OS, it's reasonably unlikely to be software.

Unfortunately, with this kind of intermittent error, it's difficult to point to the problem and say definitively, "Yep, there it is". However, network cards are so cheap that it's practical to replace your existing network card just to see if the problem goes away.

Regards,

Liam

Advertisement