Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swaring on Newstalk

• 14-04-2006 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

ok, I'm no prude, and have been known to utter the odd (frequent!) curse, but this morning Dunphy show on Newstalk really pushed it.

BP Fallon was on as a guest, and there was constant use of the f word, whether it be straight off, or "f**khead", or "f**king" this or the other.
    Fallon was the main user, but Dunphy joined in on the odd occasion.

I was expecting an on air apology, or perhaps Dunphy to tell BP to tone it down somewhat, but it just continued.

It's not the first time I've noticed NewsTalk be "casual" at it's approach.
    'Off The Ball' sneaks in the odd sware now and again... mostly "sh*te" though, which seems to be common enough.

Perhaps I just found this a bit odd after coming from listening to BBC5 Live after many years....
    Is this really acceptable?
    Has the BCI ever rapped the knuckles of a radio / tv station here for foul langauge?

Just to reiterate, I know these words are all too common in public, but I just felt this wrong so early in the morning and was disappointed at NewsTalk for it.

BTW - the repeat is on now....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think you`ll find plenty of ****s etc on the Gerry Ryan show too in the morning so its not unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Ray Darcy is begining to swear a fair bit too

Plus there's the anti - drink drivin add that they did. Don't be a f**king idiot or somethin like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I listen to Newstalk every weekday, Dunphy, Orla Barry, Declan Carty the odd time, Seán Moncrieff, and George Hook, and I can't think of a single instance of someone excessively swearing on the air. I've heard Dunphy I think swearing (wasn't even something terribly rude like 'f*ck'; I think it was 'b*stard') once, that's all. It was obviously an isolated incident, and I don't think anything to get worked up about to be honest. I've said it before, Newstalk is by far the best station on Irish radio today, and I quite enjoy the 'casual' approach the excellent presenters take.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

DaveMcG wrote:
    I listen to Newstalk every weekday, Dunphy, Orla Barry, Declan Carty the odd time, Seán Moncrieff, and George Hook, and I can't think of a single instance of someone excessively swearing on the air. I've heard Dunphy I think swearing (wasn't even something terribly rude like 'f*ck'; I think it was 'b*stard') once, that's all. It was obviously an isolated incident, and I don't think anything to get worked up about to be honest. I've said it before, Newstalk is by far the best station on Irish radio today, and I quite enjoy the 'casual' approach the excellent presenters take.

Still though; while I wouldn't be prudish it's just moronic.
    I mean, can't people articulate themselves without using curse words, forget about what kids hear.
    Isolated incidents should still be apologised for

And don't get me started on Ryan, his use of cursing just so auld wans listening will go "did you hear Gerry this morning... he called yer man a sh*tehawk!! *snigger*"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I like the way we here in Ireland have a more mature attitude towards swearing in the media than our cousins across the pond. I'd hate to hear Joe Duffy making a pointless apology every time a caller says "bollocks", or vapid "Viewers are warned that this programme contains strong language" introductions to late-night television programmes, like they have in Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

theres is a period in the morning where swearing is seen as slightly less bad because kids are at school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

whiskeyman wrote:
    ok, I'm no prude, and have been known to utter the odd (frequent!) curse, but this morning Dunphy show on Newstalk really pushed it.

BP Fallon was on as a guest, and there was constant use of the f word, whether it be straight off, or "f**khead", or "f**king" this or the other.
    Fallon was the main user, but Dunphy joined in on the odd occasion.

I was expecting an on air apology, or perhaps Dunphy to tell BP to tone it down somewhat, but it just continued.

It's not the first time I've noticed NewsTalk be "casual" at it's approach.
    'Off The Ball' sneaks in the odd sware now and again... mostly "sh*te" though, which seems to be common enough.

Perhaps I just found this a bit odd after coming from listening to BBC5 Live after many years....
    Is this really acceptable?
    Has the BCI ever rapped the knuckles of a radio / tv station here for foul langauge?

Just to reiterate, I know these words are all too common in public, but I just felt this wrong so early in the morning and was disappointed at NewsTalk for it.

BTW - the repeat is on now....

Your not a prude but your giving out about swearing on the radio and expecting an apology and posting about it on the internet. Go clean your vagina yeah bi'atch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

On RTE radio 1 there they other day one caller told another "your head is up your a*se " (or something along those lines) and the presenter apologised. Its not hard to apologise. But then again, i suppose she did it for the benifit of the other caller.

Ray777 wrote:
    I like the way we here in Ireland have a more mature attitude towards swearing in the media than our cousins across the pond. I'd hate to hear Joe Duffy making a pointless apology every time a caller says "bollocks", or vapid "Viewers are warned that this programme contains strong language" introductions to late-night television programmes, like they have in Britain.

Personally I wouldn't expect an apology; as far as I'm concerned "bad" words aren't exactly going to incite a child/person to murder so who cares?

However, while we're mature enough not to get up in arms about the use of a curse perhaps broadcasters could be mature to use other words; saying f*ck is an easy and lazy way to express something, and besides, if people start using words like c*nt all the time they'll lose their use, and then what word can I use to describe Gerry Ryan?

flogen wrote:
    Still though; while I wouldn't be prudish it's just moronic.
    I mean, can't people articulate themselves without using curse words, forget about what kids hear.
    Isolated incidents should still be apologised for

And don't get me started on Ryan, his use of cursing just so auld wans listening will go "did you hear Gerry this morning... he called yer man a sh*tehawk!! *snigger*"
    Swearing does not mean that you are stupid, or lack vocabulary, or anything of the sort. I swear all the time. It's just a different (perhaps more explicit, or stronger) way of expressing myself, and I don't see it as a big deal.

Saying "moron" instead of "pr*ck" does not mean that you're some sort of intellectual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

DaveMcG wrote:
    Swearing does not mean that you are stupid, or lack vocabulary, or anything of the sort. I swear all the time. It's just a different (perhaps more explicit, or stronger) way of expressing myself, and I don't see it as a big deal.

Saying "moron" instead of "pr*ck" does not mean that you're some sort of intellectual.

I'd have to agree. Swear words are an integral part of our vocabularies. While I wouldn't go around telling kids to go f*ck off, they are some of our most expressive words.

As regards swearing on the radio, I personally wouldn't care much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I love it, swearing is a huge part of irish culture and there should be lots more of it! wan Eamo.

DaveMcG wrote:

I never said it does, but Gerry Ryan and Eamon Dunphy are the kind of people that like a reaction, swearing when they shouldn't is a lazy way to provoke, can they not tackle issues instead?

Well, I don't accept that they swear to get a reaction; I think it's just that they get worked up/frustrated/excited/whatever, and that's what comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

whiskeyman wrote:

Studies now show that 90% of prudes begin sentences by saying "I'm not a prude but..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Studies now show that 90% of prudes begin sentences by saying "I'm not a prude but..."
    Studies also show that 73% of facts are made up on the spot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ok ok, I hope yee shower of sh*tes (:p ) had fun poking at me, but I still feel this is a serious issue for the media.
    We all know TV is full of it (expect for when kids are meant to be watching), so can we expect newspapers to be next?
    Will a journalist report a serious political incident with a few sware words to boot?
    I've already noticed many sware words pop into the music and lifestyle sections of the broadsheets... I can't admit to reading much tabloid press, so can't comment there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If they're becoming popular I think it's time we invent some new ones...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭pcwares

newstalk push the boat out when it comes to its bohemian attitude to talk radio.

personally i think it adds to the experience. cursing is a great way to compound a statement. I dont think this form of comm is overused on newstalk. Its an interesting point thou from the prude poster who btw is a prude.

i used to text them alot - one of my texts ellicited the inferred c**t response from one of the sports show presenters as i sign my txts c (who shall remain nameless). Needless to say i txted in and said that it was over the top, that he was a scut and that i wanted an apology. The presenter duly apologised and that was that.

PcWares

Advertisement