Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Lures

Options
  • 14-04-2006 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

I'm heading for some fishing on the Norfolk Broads very soon & would be interested in any recommendations for good lures.

I'd be fishing Wroxham broad - its about 11ft deep - very canal like in most places, tends to be warmer water with lots of overhanging bushes, trees.......

The bigger Pike I've had before tend to lie fairly deep - smaller jacks on the surface.

If anyone has thoughts on a good lure - I'd be very grateful

Cheers

Andi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I've nothing useful to suggest about lures, but how about putting a deadbait on the bottom if that is where the big pike are? I love the sound of the bite alarm as the fish runs with the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Hi Andip,

I find the old copper spoon to be perhaps the most effective lure for ****** pike, other than I guess a wobbled deadbait if you're definetly just going for lure fishing, I think the copper spoon pisses the pike off no end and they just grab at them out of sheer temper :-)

Good luck and let us know the final score!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

try out some of the salmo jerkbaits their good and very realistic looking

other than that you could try springdawgs, rapalas of different sizes,

and yeah the good old copper spoon, see if you can get one with some red spots or something on it..little more enticing for the pike me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

After a weekend of piking on the Shannon just gone I had a long think about my lure selection in my tacke box.
    I reckon I've go about €200+ worth of big plastics and jerk/crank baits and of the 5 pike I caught (to 9lb), four were caught on copper spoons.

You can't really go wrong with them, and even the biggest ones are cheap as chips so there's no shaking your fist as they snag and the line breaks! (especially if you're fishing new waters that you're unfamiliar with.

And there really is no other feeling like a take on a spoon when you can feel oul' pikeys sharp teeth on metal!

Saying that though I'd recommend the Bulldawg range from musky innovations. Gerat action in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I love to read posts like that. I fished 2 days last year and I have 14 rods. I hope to make up some ground this year but I think I have come to the stage where I need to shed some tackle. I think I am going to throw away a large box of fancy lures and buy a few copper spoons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks - anyone heard of a 'Blue Zolt' ? - supposed to be very good in coloured water, but I cant find them listed anywhere.......

Advertisement