Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Wireless

• 14-04-2006 11:32pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I did a search for "digiweb wireless" but couldn't find any actual reactions to the service.

Just wondering if anyone here's using it and if so, what's the service like? I've been told it might not be the best....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

It's OK, I had it for a while (in waterford), but as soon as they could offer me DSL I switched.

It wasn't the most reliable service in the world, looking back it probably wasn't that bad. Maybe a few hours down a month, but you tend to remember the bad things.

When it worked, most of the time in fairness, it was perfect. I lived about 4 or 5 miles from the base station.

It is still only on 512 download which is fairly slow compared to todays offerings. Also if you go over your cap you will have your speed limited to dial up speeds for the rest of the month.

Cant think of anything else, sher ask a question and i'll try and answer.

In closing, if you can get it go for it. If you can get DSL get that instead!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm just worried about the ridiculous prices and cap enforcement policy. It's better than the nothing we have at the minute, but it's sad the way they're impending monopoly in our area will drive me to paying stupid amounts of money for what may well be a bad service :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Cap policy is crap, But thats just my opinion but if it were
    not for the traffic cap the service would be the best around
    me im just moving on to unlimited dl`s thats the way bb should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

ricey wrote:
    Cap policy is crap, But thats just my opinion but if it were
    not for the traffic cap the service would be the best around
    me im just moving on to unlimited dl`s thats the way bb should be.

who gives unlimited dl's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Plenty of ISPs allow less than 30GB (basic CAP on Metro). Ricey is just upset that they throttled him after 190G on his 60G Cap ...

I'm on 3M down/0.5M up and 12.5Km from base on Digiweb Metro Wireless. The 512K may be Digiweb FWA. It is fine.

Some LLU ISPs may give unlimited (Magnet, Smart) but not the cheapest service for a "normal user" nor widely available. UTV does have an uncapped package. But even uncapped packages often have "fair use" clauses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm on Digiweb FWA and it is grand. Very often the download speeds I get are closer to a 768 kbps connection rather than 512. Pings to Irish sites hover around the 40 ms mark for me. There haven't been any outages for me yet and recently the speed hasn't dropped at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

Stay well away from Digiweb I was on there old 512k wireless service and when it was up dl speeds were no better than dial up . I have switched to metro and its no better I have not even got close to 3mb dl speeds and again its a completly unreliable service and is down more than its up. Im having a second engineer visit next week, which if it cant be sorted I will be cancelling the service. most times im getting download speeds of 22kb/s and pings of between 100-170ms to www.heanet.ie im based in dundalk. You want bb get ADSL stay well away from wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If you are getting problems with 2 completely different technologies then your location in itself may be part of the problem. Some areas have weaker signals than others. even if they are equidistant from the transmitter.

I just did a speedtest on irishisptest.com and I got:
    687 Kbps download,
    145 kbps upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I get close to 3Mbps download from heanet.ie on Digiweb metro.

Of course there IS no ADSL here... so just as well it is fine. 22ms is typical ping
    I'm 12.5km from the base in Co. Clare that serves part of Limerick.

Most people don't have much choice unless they are in an area with Digital Cable, Wireless and ADSL

Advertisement