Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

remaping ecu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Should try Westward Engineering ( www.westwardeng.com ), they are an official revo dealer and also have rolling roads for better tuning.

Trackday Performance ( www.tdp.ie ) are also another that can do diesel tuning and have very good facilities, dynapack etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Delta_ie wrote:
    Should try Westward Engineering ( www.westwardeng.com ), they are an official revo dealer and also have rolling roads for better tuning.

Trackday Performance ( www.tdp.ie ) are also another that can do diesel tuning and have very good facilities, dynapack etc...

yes friends have said that westward are good.so i will call them to get a qupte and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

drdre wrote:
    also the website states 240bhp, is that increase just from chip or did you change the induction kit.

No didnt get the induction kit and 240 is an average figure - tbh I think mine might be about 242
    drdre wrote:
    also does this chip have a switch to change it back to normal settings eg the 200 bhp.

no, if you want to go back to stock they can do it, but they have to reflash the ecu
    drdre wrote:
    also does it increase fuel economy.

They say it doesnt but to be honest I cant see how it doesnt, the thing rips along!! :D
    drdre wrote:
    and the final question is have you informed insurance company and if yes did the insurance quote increase.
    thanks and so sorry for all the questions:D

I didnt tell them, I keep meaning to ring them and find out whats the increase (if any) for it...
    drdre wrote:
    thanks and so sorry for all the questions:D

No worries ;)

thanks for answering the questions dirtydog.

No worries :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

got 2 car remapped by superchips
    once in dublin which was distaster and had to go to superchips in uk and was first class and second car superchips in uk and cost me 800 euros,to wasnt worth it as l comepare to a guy who got remapped by another ,wasnt much of difference,depends on car
    for me ,have slight flat spot when picking up speed ,by remapping ,would get rid of it and get a better performance,for 400,would be worth it,not for7-800 euros
    could get a tuning box for less
    just my 2 cents

got 2 car remapped by superchips
    once in dublin which was distaster and had to go to superchips in uk and was first class and second car superchips in uk and cost me 800 euros,to wasnt worth it as l comepare to a guy who got remapped by another ,wasnt much of difference,depends on car
    for me ,have slight flat spot when picking up speed ,by remapping ,would get rid of it and get a better performance,for 400,would be worth it,not for7-800 euros
    could get a tuning box for less
    just my 2 cents

yeah id rather pay the extra and not get a tuning box.i would go for revo as i have heard alot of good stuff about them on the net regarding vw golf gti's im not sure anout other cars.but i would only pay max 500 i wouldnt pay around 800.

have tryed tuning box before,as you not great
    will give a few call and see what they charge and offer
    have checked there websites and we see
    logic auto and westward seem good,asked around today ,will call them and check on others

just rang westward and they only would install tuning box and not ecu
    have to head to belfast to superchips and would cost 800 euros
    havent been able to get hold of tpe
    got hold of logic-auto[peter]
    he was helpful,and no bull
    told what he can and cant do
    would remap for €400 and take 4 hrs to do
    one could argue that superchips is better,but not at that cost and as its a jeep and want to get rid of flat spot which is common in jeep,remapping would get rid of it and get 30bhp as well ,if l used superchips,would cost me 800 euros and may give me more power,not really looking for more power ,onl get rid of flat spot
    will keep you informed

why pay 800 for superschips if you can get it done from dublin for 400.

also why can they not remap the ecu.and who is the dealer for superchip in belfast.
    thanks

• Advertisement

lm going with peter in logic-auto for 400 euros
    got superchips in belfast off superchips.co.uk website
    mcnamaras used to be only superchip agent in ireland and and doesnt seem to be anymore
    so belfasrt is closest
    was told by someone there was agent in cork for them.but doesnt say that on website

drdre wrote:
    why pay 800 for superschips if you can get it done from dublin for 400.

also why can they not remap the ecu.and who is the dealer for superchip in belfast.
    thanks
    westward wouldnt say why they wouldnt remap ecu in jeep ,only to say they only fit tuning boxes and they cost 490 fitted or take way for same price,so they out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DirtyDog wrote:

(Insurance).....I didnt tell them, I keep meaning to ring them and find out whats the increase (if any) for it...

I suggest you need to do this as a matter of some urgency. Your cover may be invalid.

ok
    have called 5 places
    only got good feed back from 2
    logic-auto and autoremap
    both told as it is ,without the polish talk

both places have done jeeps before

rang insurance,and gave them details of engineers report on remapping and why and was told no increase will be on policy

rang insurance,and gave them details of engineers report on remapping and why and was told no increase will be on policy

:eek: Thats excellent.does the remapper give you an engineers report.
    thats really good news but what company us that with.

got local engineer to read the data by company and sumit a e-mail to me and l sent it to insurance and they said ok
    as the data show it improve car and not give it higher top end speed ,as dat show it only improves what there already,in some countrys ecu are down graded to match climate and there grade of fuels
    plus dealers do it to get you to get more services with them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hang on a second.

If the remap is designed to increase power, the top speed will increase. If it's designed to increase torque, the in gear acceleration times will improve. either way some element of performance will be increased. Otherwise you wouldn't bother doing it presumably.

I suggest you get a response in writing as any motor underwriter who knows what they are doing, will realise that increased peformance brings increased risk. If a claim occurs and liability is refused, relying on something said on the phone is worthless.

Furthermore the standard suspension, steering, transmission, and brakes are only designed to be able to handle the standard engine output.

I think this is a very ropey area.

Hang on a second.

If the remap is designed to increase power, the top speed will increase. If it's designed to increase torque, the in gear acceleration times will improve. either way some element of performance will be increased. Otherwise you wouldn't bother doing it presumably.

I suggest you get a response in writing as any motor underwriter who knows what they are doing, will realise that increased peformance brings increased risk. If a claim occurs and liability is refused, relying on something said on the phone is worthless.

Furthermore the standard suspension, steering, transmission, and brakes are only designed to be able to handle the standard engine output.

I think this is a very ropey area.
    It doesnt increase top end speed,only improve between gear changes which lessen and its a software upgrade and not hardware,same power,so touque also improves
    had this debate long time ago
    all this upgrade does is tell the ecu when to get fuel and other controls
    data was on e-mail and not phone,and insurance company was happy with it
    and has nothing to do with brakes etc
    only doing it to get rid of flat spot in pickup as its a bug with software only,read first post

If it's solely a fuel economy thing that makes perfect sense.

However increased torque = improved pull and in gear acceleration which is a
    change in performance characteristics.

I did read your original post btw.

We may have to at best agree to disagree here, but I know quite a bit about insurance (mainly non motor admittedly) and the only reason I posted was concern over the continuing validity of your cover.

• Advertisement

If it's solely a fuel economy thing that makes perfect sense.

However increased torque = improved pull and in gear acceleration which is a
    change in performance characteristics.

I did read your original post btw.

We may have to at best agree to disagree here, but I know quite a bit about insurance (mainly non motor admittedly) and the only reason I posted was concern over the continuing validity of your cover.
    i undersatnd where your comming from
    first off
    there 3 types of mapping
    mine is mid range which get rid of flat spots in pickup which help product what its meant to and nothing more,as all cars have have low ecu setting because of some countrys conditions and helps on cost to produce this way
    most cars and trucks only produce 65-70 % as software is down graded,by me getting remapped by the way is fault with ecu in my jeep will first get rid of flat spot and help with better mpg and and produce only toque that its should be using at same time and not produce more than that
    as far as insurance ,my engineers report was received by insurance and they where happy with it and that l was not souping it ,
    troque thats been given is there already,but need better software to improve,its a jeep and need troque for pulling power and get risd of flat spots
    some cars show and some dont
    if cars with these faults got remapped ,would help with price of fuels
    so there different mapping ,mine is mid range and not hight range ,and even if was high range ,would only burn more
    remember ,its not mod on engine,thats where it should only affect insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

remember ,its not mod on engine,thats where it should only affect insurance

Remapping IS a mod on the engine, and about the most serious mod you can do to a modern turbocharged engine.

I would go with Henry on this and demand a written record of the communication with the insurance co. A telephone call is too iffy, and very little to go on if the worst comes to the worst. The chances are there will be no increase on your insurance anyway, so you have nothing to loose.

maidhc wrote:
    Remapping IS a mod on the engine, and about the most serious mod you can do to a modern turbocharged engine.

I would go with Henry on this and demand a written record of the communication with the insurance co. A telephone call is too iffy, and very little to go on if the worst comes to the worst. The chances are there will be no increase on your insurance anyway, so you have nothing to loose.
    Wasnt on phone call and was on e-mail with perons name etc
    and as far as mod ,its not
    depends what type of remapp it is and is the most serious you can do to turbo engine,where do you get this from
    do you understand what remap is
    dealers do it in servicing when prob with ecu,are they modding engine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Wasnt on phone call and was on e-mail with perons name etc

All good then, file it away in case.
    do you understand what remap is
    dealers do it in servicing when prob with ecu,are they modding engine

I know what a remap is, and when a dealer updates the ECU software I would say that indeed they are modding the engine, but not in the same sense as an after market remap does... the dealer will not cause the car to radically change from the way it was new (i.e. they will refuse to load the 1.6 HDi 110 software on a 1.6 HDi 90)

maidhc wrote:
    All good then, file it away in case.

I know what a remap is, and when a dealer updates the ECU software I would say that indeed they are modding the engine, but not in the same sense as an after market remap does... the dealer will not cause the car to radically change from the way it was new (i.e. they will refuse to load the 1.6 HDi 110 software on a 1.6 HDi 90)
    as long it better my jeep in pickup and get rid of flat spot and improves it without hit on fuel ,then lm happy
    have got remapp done here 3 times here and 9 time in states
    most would disagree with you who have done it for same reasons as me
    if there a fault with ecu software and another company can fix it ,l dont't consider a mod ,as its only a flashing chip like on pc,and only can improve it for me and if wanted which l dont ,l could
    how l see this different from you ,to is improvement,to you its a mod

I really dont see why you are beating this thing to death!

If he wants to do it, has done it on previous cars and knows the risks then let him ffs......he only asked for information on where to get it done, he didnt ask for a lecture!

:mad:

Well ,got the jeeps ecu remapped by logic with peter today
    as dirthydog said,total gent,was there 2.5 hrs and on road
    got rid of flat spot and feels better in pckup/more power
    would recommend LOGIC to anyone
    cheers
    keltic:D ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    Warranty is up,so doesn't matter
    have it done and happy with outcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I handed in a letter from Superchips to Hibernian stating what had been done to my last car and they had no problem with it or an increase for that matter.

If people don't know the facts, they shouldn't really speculate.

Advertisement