Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

omg - get a clue!

Options
  • 15-04-2006 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

New Pontiac concept car :

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2749

with stone age engine. A 4 litre V6 producing only 270bhp. Mitsubishi give a 2 year warranty on a 2 litre flat 4 that gives 400bhp. FFS - I could get more than that out of my car by fiddling with the exhaust. 2 valves per cyclinder and single over head cam. How can american engine technology be so out of date?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

69 bhp per 1000 cc, I think thats about the same as a Fiesta :eek:

Feckin Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

K-TRIC wrote:
    69 bhp per 1000 cc, I think thats about the same as a Fiesta

except getting that from a 1L car is much more difficult that 270 from a 4L.... a lot of losses remain pretty constant no matter what the displacement.

It seems there is no money in selling cars to americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

An unstressed V6 is going to do mega miles, like they do in the large distances in the states. Lazy style of driving with lots of torque. Also a simple engine is easier to fix.

Any chance you could come around fiddle with my exhaust and get 400bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

you like that car, just get a hyandai(hope the spelling is right) as the pontic doesnot look the best.it only looks nice because its got the alloys and spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    you like that car, just get a hyandai(hope the spelling is right) as the pontic doesnot look the best.it only looks nice because its got the alloys and spoiler.

Hyundai... but actually it does look very like it.

Most pontiacs look rotten tbh...

Like this ssangyong wannabe: 2001AztekGT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Any chance you could come around fiddle with my exhaust and get 400bhp.

Ohhh! Behave! :D

I actually phrased that badly. I meant I could get more than 270bhp out of my car, not more than 400bhp.

An engine doesn't have to be big and simple to go for ever. How many Japanese/European engines have huge milage on them? They might recommend more servicing to allow this but I saw a Galant do 80,000 miles between when the guy bought it and serviced it.

I don't like the new Hyundai Coupes. Most people buy a coupe because they're stylish. The Hyundai isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why not just buy Celica? It's obviously what they used for "inspiration" anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Ohhh! Behave! :D

I actually phrased that badly. I meant I could get more than 270bhp out of my car, not more than 400bhp.

An engine doesn't have to be big and simple to go for ever. ....

You forget Americans are not interested in fancy 4 cylinder engines. 6 Cyl is a tradition over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You forget Americans are not interested in fancy 4 cylinder engines. 6 Cyl is a tradition over there.

And they're dead right. A good 6 is in a different league to even the best 4 cylinder engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Stone age engines?

Viper ftw :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Anan1 wrote:
    A good 6 is in a different league to even the best 4 cylinder engines.

Yes, but you can't compare that lump to something like the 3.2 V6 in the Honda Legend/NSX. I heard Fred Flintstone was considering something similar.......

Advertisement