Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could i get sued?

Options
  • 15-04-2006 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi im thinking of buy the exclusive rights to a remix someone on the interenet did with a michael jackson song.i was wondering if i put some of my own work in this and released it ,could i get sued cause it has a michel jackson sample in it and like the same beat with different instruments been used than in jackos version.like i said it it is a remix ,so if this is the case that i could be sued what steps can i take to use this th e way i can without gettin sued,i mean i cant exactly ask jacko its not like hes in the yellow pages.so what can i do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

As far as i know, i dont think that there would be a problem...

Buy you could write to the record comapny who released jackos albums to make sure! ;)

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

you don't own the sampled material. You don't have permission from the owners to use the sample. The sample is not cleared as being royalty free (i presume).
    Therefore you will have to pay royalties to whoever owns it should they give you permission.
    Which means you make no money whatsoever.
    but give it a go, and hope that jacko's legal team have bigger fish to fry!!!!

Which they probably do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

eh.. good luck taking on Michael Jacksons publishers.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

im new to music making and i dont know anything about producing so thats why i was looking at work from other producers.so what exactly are royalties like ,would that be were i release the song and give whoever owns the sample and that a percentage of the profit?or would i have to pay them usually a large sum of money before using it ??cause i dont think i can afford to give jakco enough for him to save neverland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ok pretty safe bet to tell you now you will not get permission. Yes royalties would be a proportion of the profits you make. In a case like this your probably gonna get screwed for 100% of anything you make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

There are studios out there who will recreate the samples for you. It's not cheap, but it's generally far cheaper than clearing the samples and may be the only recourse if you can't get permission.

Advertisement