Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Newbie Questions!

Options
  • 15-04-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

Right I know absolutely nothing about cars and no-one in my immediate family has one so I'd like to ask a few questions. I'm planning on buying a car during the summer hopefully as I'm sick of Dublin Bus.

Bare with me:

Can anyone recommend a good starter car? I have been looking at the VW Polo 1.0L as I hear it mentioned every so often as reliable and cheap to insure. Any other models?

Whats the difference between petrol and diesel? Is that unleaded stuff I see in fuel stations a form of petrol aswell?

What happens if you have an accident? I know you excgange particulars with the other driver but what particulars? Is it his or your insurance company that will pay for your repairs?

If there is a problem with the car is it best to go to a garage and pay for it yourself or is it best to get insurance pay for it?

I have applied for a theory test and I have the CD-Rom and rules of the road book. However the CD is giving me some odd questions that are not in the book whatsoever - things like technical car/fuel questions that I have no idea about, where am I supposed to learn these things?

Are cars obliged to get inspected/serviced every year or something? How much would this cost?

These are probably pretty stupid questions but I appreciate any replies. I'll have a few more to ask once I can think of some!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

A 1 l polo would be an excellent starter car. The difference between petrol and diesel isn't that important, just know which one you get and use that. Unleaded is petrol. Only very very old cars use leaded.

I wouldn't bother getting a car though in your situation. If no one you know drives, you have no one to drive with you. You need to keep your money to pay for lessons. If you're an absolute beginner, you'll need to budget around €500 on lessons, minimum to get enough time on the road to be a halfway decent driver. Wait until you're confident driving before you buy a car, better yet, wait until you pass your driving test and are actually competant. Your insurance will be an awful lot cheaper too and you're far less likely to kill yourself or someone else.

Is your "rules of the road" up to date? To be honest I found the best learning tool was doing the CD "tests" over and over until I was getting 100% every time.

If you're in an accident it depends who is at fault who covers the repairs. Always exchange name, address, insurance details.

For your regular services, etc you pay for these yourself.

And every car over 3 years old (I think) has to pass the NCT every 2 years.

Advertisement