Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Point-making: where's the line? ** Warning! May be offensive to some.**

Options
  • 15-04-2006 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

** Warning! May be offensive to some.**

Wondering if this might be considered offensive / fair game / perfectly OK / artistic / in bad taste / just some fun / etc. IMHO, I love it!

It uses Bertie Ahern's image as representative of the Irish Government (so IMHO is not Bertie-bashing at all) and tries to make a point about lack of vision by Govmt. in Education.

I've no idea who created the original game/animation but personally, I like what this one is trying to do - shake up the govmt and public view of education.

URL: http://ictmatters.xoompages.com/bertierag.swf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

em your new to the internet are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ClassTeacher

Fairly - I was just surprised that this might be considered slanderous by some of the more conservative suits etc. I am guessing that you think it is quite mild - interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seaghan

Perhaps it should be Mary Hanafin's head in place of Bertie? Is she not responsible for the use of finances in Education? Is it that she has not screamed loud enough for proper funds? or is it the Irish governments fault that they don't see the link between todays education system and tomorrow's economy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

I am guessing that the mary harney version would just shoot straight down with the speed of a bullet smashing those globes to pieces on the way.
    ie a health equivalent to the education side

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fairly - I was just surprised that this might be considered slanderous by some of the more conservative suits etc. I am guessing that you think it is quite mild - interesting!

Its quite mild - Id say Bertie gets far,far worse weeded out by his mail filter every single day. In fairness, the internet grants anonymity and an audience so vicious, slanderous, insulting, personal attacks on politicians, celebrities, public figures and indeed other posters are the norm. The ability (if not actual right) to say what you want without concern also means you can go OTT. Whats considered slanderous by internet standards .... hard to determine tbh. I guess if you get banned for posting something, then someone thought it was slanderous/offensive.

I think variations of that (originally an ordinary harmless screensaver with no identifiable character afaik) have been floating about for a while, saw a Bush one a while back and think there was a Blair one too. This is somewhat different with the bubbles being used for messages/statements.

As to who it should be - Berties the head of govt, the buck stops with him. The Education portfolio ultimately answers to him, and vice versa.

• Advertisement

** Warning! May be offensive to some.**

I don't find it in the least offensive. Just wondering what very sad person wasted time and effort coming up with that. I don't think it will topple the Government tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ClassTeacher

Just wondering what very sad person wasted time and effort coming up with that.
    :(

I think it's a wonderful way of getting the point across and the hours spent programming or whatever could alternatively have been spent writing articles to the papers. Which is most effective? :confused:

I think that the game is more effective :D at raising awareness of an issue which is a national disgrace - a hugely outdated education system.

(apologies for the over-enthusiasm for the little icons - they're cute! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭SeanW

I've seen 2 other versions of that, one with George Bush, and another last year with a hot, scantily clad but unidnetified woman. Wierd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

SeanW wrote:
    scantily clad but unidnetified woman. Wierd.

I hope it wasn't Mary Harney, Ewww :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't find it in the least offensive. Just wondering what very sad person wasted time and effort coming up with that. I don't think it will topple the Government tbh.
    God forbid somebody spend time and use effort to do something interesting/fun :rolleyes:

I'd prefer if it was Michael McDowell, but what can ye do!

• Advertisement

:(

I think it's a wonderful way of getting the point across and the hours spent programming or whatever could alternatively have been spent writing articles to the papers. Which is most effective? :confused:

Writing letters to newspapers is admittedly sadder, but it doesn't remove the sadness of sticking a new face on an old internet game.

DaveMcG wrote:
    God forbid somebody spend time and use effort to do something interesting/fun

You thought that was interesting and/or fun?

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

In fairness the gov. record on education is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭SeanW

Pazaz 21 wrote:
    I hope it wasn't Mary Harney, Ewww :rolleyes:
    Oh ... dear ... I really didn't want to "go there" ... no thank heavens, I think it was some wierd Eastern European website or something it was a long time ago.

Suffice to say, this thing flash applet isn't exactly new. I wonder how many times it's been modified and re-presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

He did the splits on "modern age - modern learning":D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seaghan

In fairness the gov. record on education is quite good.

OMG :eek:

We are 2nd bottom for use of web/technology in Education, and near the bottom in so many other measures (such as absolute bottom for PTR, I believe and 2nd bottom in Europe for class sizes!!!). We spend a smaller % of GDP on education than most. We are not responding to Knowledge Society challenges in Education in terms of policy or investment. I can't believe the above comment - I'm gobsmacked!!

cf www.pedablogy.com for some ranting on investment in education - a small subsection of the overall education portfolio.

In summary, I think we're riding the coattails of a decent education system - where the quality of teachers could make all the difference. Now it's way more complex - I've taugh in primary and in 3rd level and IMHO the quality of learning leaves a lot to be desired - in terms of learning potential etc.

Government are so out of touch with the realities, it's frightening - especially the crisis at Primary level (eg read the bubbles in the bertie animation: http://ictmatters.xoompages.com/bertierag.swf)

Looks like she's getting on pretty well with all the teaching unions this week. So either (i) the education system is not in crisis as you suggest or (ii) you know more than the unions or (iii) they are all part of the FF conspiracy...

Advertisement