Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound proofing

Options
  • 15-04-2006 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I'm in a middle 2-bed terrace sandwich. The "soundproofing" is appalling, anytime a neighbour on either side closes a door or even when they are upstairs, they may as well be in my house. One night last week, my neighbour has sone visitors an I could hear the laughing and voices which were not particularly loud. Luckily enough, my neighbors aren't too noisy.

Anyone else have problems like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Yep, I'm the same. I'm next almost at the end of a terrace in The Wood. I have a three bed on one side and I can hear the lady in that house walk from one room to the other in her High Heels on wooden floors. Also, I can hear them dragging the chairs from the table. And on the other side is a two bed (like mine) and you can here the kid shouting for his 'mommy' of crying and them climbing or descending the stairs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complainting about them, I'm just highlighting how 'paper like' the walls are!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

wow im completely the opposite. i live in a mid-terrace 2-bed and have always thought the sound-proofing was fantastic compared to other terraced houses ive lived in. previously ive been able to hear a pin drop but in charlesland i think its great! my neighbours on one side are really into their music and karaoke so the odd time i'll hear the bass-beats through the walls, but having been in there at a party once and heard how loud they have it, i couldnt believe how little i can hear next door.

the only loud sound is when they close/slam the front door. but trust me it could be a lot lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

I agree with elemental, I've been impressed with how little we can hear (again in a 2 bed midterrace). We've never heard talking/music/tv/kids, the only thing that comes through is a squeaky door for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Have to say I am in a 3 bed end of terrace and we never hear anything from the neighbour next door other than the front door banging. We even asked could she hear our baby cry at night as the baby changing room is beside her bedroom and she said she cant hear a thing! I have to say I think the sound proofing is brilliant considering I was in a 1930's end terrace that was solidly built yet we could here people next door all the time so cant really fault the houses at all in that respect.

I would seem that the latter built houses have better "soundproofing" than the elder, ie. The Wood, ah well:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah - i'm in the grove and the soundproofing seems very good - much better than in the place I was in before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rofa

I'm in duplex in the Wood - What drives me mad are - (a)that riduculous pump especially when it comes on and off when using the washing machine (b) the bathroom fans and (c) the slamming doors due to those fire reg doors. All of these are audible from both neighbours.

But for what its worth - I used to live in a period house with very thick walls and could hear my neighbours laughing and all sorts of other noises. Bottom line is that the only way to be fully soundproofed is being detached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jaynie

I'm really lucky, I'm in the wood and on one side I mnever hear them at all except when they are going up and down the stairs on the way to work and on the other side he's never there execept at the weekends. however I worry a lot as I have a 2 year old who has loves the sound of his own voice and isn't scared to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I'm in the Wood (2 bed terrace) and the sound proofing is OK. I had crazy neighbours for a while, they had some terrible rows and of course I could hear that. As my czech girlfriend (ex now unfortunatley, my loss, ah well, oh the apple strudel she made was divine) would say "they make big theatre next door". But it couldn't last and they blew up and seperated. Good.

On the other side they had a squeaky door and I wnet round with a can of 3 in 1. A kid answered and I said can you put that on the door that squeaks, she did and that was sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Also in the wood and I must say that I haven't had any issues with any soundproofing at all... Neighbour has two small children and the only time they might be heard is if the neighbour and ourselves have the windows open...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublingirl

I live in a 2 bed apart in The Park - can't hear the neighbours but can hear upstairs walking around - very off putting - specially if I want a lie in on a weekend. Thinking of posting a couple of pairs of slippers through the letterbox :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manus

Live in the court not great sneezed lastnight and the neighbour said bless you.

Seriously Manus?

That's funny, a hearty giggle. Thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Manus wrote:
    Live in the court not great sneezed lastnight and the neighbour said bless you.
    Ah good old Moose. What about your poor neighbour, better keep Cookie off the beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 daveyo

im in a 2 bed apt in the grove and i tell ya this im about to commit murder !!! since movin in a couple of months now, the family upstairs are the munsters !! does anyone have the number of the child catcher in chitty chitty bang bang.. bouncing balls all the time, running around like its a playground.. etc. i know kids are kids but bouncing balls at 7.30am on saturday and sunday mornings is a bit much.. not a lie in to be had... asked the said parents couple of times that we all have to live together blah blah bit more consideration and nothings been done.. didnt pass any comments when i knocked..next step is to wait till RTE do a neighbours from hell type show.. i really am at my wits end... its the pits lads am considering moving if things dont improve... shame coz i love here..:confused: anyone got any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Play your music really loud at that time and see how long they are "fine" about it or even late at night!!! If u have approched them amicably and they still let their kids bounce balls around the house at 730am then I say Touche and let the music play on!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

INCH wrote:
    Play your music really loud at that time and see how long they are "fine" about it or even late at night!!! If u have approched them amicably and they still let their kids bounce balls around the house at 730am then I say Touche and let the music play on!!!:D
    Absolutely... When all else fails, fight fire with fire... If little Billy isn't getting to sleep before midnight on a weekend thanks to your music, chances are he won't be up bouncing his ball at 7:30.

I know it's not neighbourly, but nor is bouncing a ball on a floor above another apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 daveyo

tried it lads,, and nothing.. they go up another floor to go to bed.. hear nothing then its ideal,, but then come 7.30am all hell breaks loose.. its my neighbours next door that will hear the music not the munsters upstairs.. next door neighbours are sound.. lovely people, cant do enugh for ya sort.. but jeesus somethings gonna crack.. theres a limit to human endurance.. would the management committee have an interest ?wherever they are, just me or are they real at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I know that the apartment/duplex residents in the Wood received guidelines about noise levels amongst other things.

It basically said that noise should be kept to a minimum between 11pm and 9am. I'm sure you'd be within your rights to ask your management co to intervene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manus

garred wrote:
    Ah good old Moose. What about your poor neighbour, better keep Cookie off the beans.
    I wont tell you what she said about the phantom raspberry blower of Charlesland court. Lets just say she thinks there is a new family of ducks in town but she cant see them:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Yes, I have the same issue. I even had the house soundproofed when I had builders in a while back, but I'm stuck with scaldy knackers on one side who blare Happy Hardcore and don't seem to understand (despite being told repeatedly) that if you mount your speakers on the wall the bass goes right through the fabric of the building. What can you do? I've asked them 1000000 times to turn the bass down, shut their window, stop screaming along but they don't give a ****. The only thing you can do is pursue it through the district court, which even if you win means the local scum will make your life a misery. I think its disgusting that hard-working home-owners are protected from the shockingly inconsiderate actions of those who are housed at the taxpayers (i.e. MY!) expense.

Advertisement