Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded "HOW LONG" in english

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Johnner111 wrote:
    I usually go one A4 to the ten minutes in an english exam on paper 2 - paper one - require a bit more thinking but i suppose more or less the same.

OMFG NADA and Johnner post side by side, making a total of whatever 510+535 is out of 1200!!! you guys are fukken ledgends!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

OMFG NADA and Johnner post side by side, making a total of whatever 510+535 is out of 1200!!! you guys are fukken ledgends!! :D

wat'd u get irish grumpy? 540;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Your damn right I did ;):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Pugwash wrote:
    I am a firm believer in the fact that you should think in terms of paragraphs as opposed to pages when judging length.

Eg. single text: intro; point1;point2;point3;point4;point5;conclusion
    ya i agree..

it also looks neater and easier to correct, and for that your examiner will love you:)

so, state your point, develop it, back it up with example/quote...move onto next point!!

the examiner will see from that, that you know your stuff, getting straight to the point and have structure/logic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

I am convinced that Leaving Cert. English is a quantity test, which I find rather annoying as I'm not the type that writes reams and reams just for the sake of it.

All one needs to do is look at the examiner's reports to see that if you want the higher grades, you must clock up a good bit more than the recommended 6 or 700 words. Other subjects are a simple yes or no and grading is easier. But for English your word count will mean alot to the examiner, I reckon.

A teacher at Yeat's Galway told us that a "2 page essay could get an A" if it was good enough. I wouldn't risk hoping the examiner thinks like that, though - churn those pages out!!

I'm sure this kind of thing would infuriate the likes of Orwell, but oh well, it's the LC we're talking about here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I am convinced that Leaving Cert. English is a quantity test, which I find rather annoying as I'm not the type that writes reams and reams just for the sake of it.

All one needs to do is look at the examiner's reports to see that if you want the higher grades, you must clock up a good bit more than the recommended 6 or 700 words. Other subjects are a simple yes or no and grading is easier. But for English your word count will mean alot to the examiner, I reckon.

A teacher at Yeat's Galway told us that a "2 page essay could get an A" if it was good enough. I wouldn't risk hoping the examiner thinks like that, though - churn those pages out!!

I'm sure this kind of thing would infuriate the likes of Orwell, but oh well, it's the LC we're talking about here...

lol. Yeah I think so too. Teachers always want quantity no matter what they say. I think English Teachers are sad people. I mean if they are so good would they not write themselves!

Advertisement