Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Talk Plus including broadband. Worth it?

• 15-04-2006 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

At €50 a month for line rental, all my calls and 3Mb broadband, the BT deal seems excellent. Am I missing something?

http://www.esat.net/echannel/BTres.portal?_nfpb=true&homePage_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2Fhomepage%2FshowBroadbandPage&_windowLabel=homePage

It's not clear if VAT is included. If it is, then it would be really good IMHO.

Finally, if you choose an option that includes broadband from the above link and click "Order", the last option on the second next page is called "Advantage & Line Rental & Broadband Option 3". This is the first mention of an Advantage product that I can see. What does it refer to?

Anyone using this product?

What is the BT contention ratio?

I would love to dump Eircom.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

I'm using this product,
    afair all calls are free (except international calls)
    line rental is included
    and bb is 3mb..
    contention ratio *i think* is 20:1..
    but i can't be sure...

the bb in general is fine, i get full d/l speeds,
    very little downtime.. there was some this year, i think it was about 24hrs worth for me (but some people had a weekends worth).. there has been very little in general..

All in all i think the product is fine, but the problem is not with the product, it's with getting it installed and getting the billing correct.. do a search on the forum for BT related horror stories, there are plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't think that €50 includes talk plus, just line rental. Talk plus means free national calls too. I'm getting Talk Plus and 1MB coming to a total of €49.82 inc vat. Haven't confirmed order with my signature yet so can I get 3mb and the same talk plus for an extra 18 cent??:eek:

Yeah, that just says line rental, nothing about talk plus being included in the €50 though:o

For the €49.82 I'd be paying, I get 1MB BB, Line Rental and Talk Plus (free anytime national calls).:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Those prices don't include Talk Plus, they include BB and line rental, you need to pay for calls separately. You can get Talk Plus, but I think it is an extra €20.

• Advertisement

yeah, it seems to be 65 for 3mb + talkplus + line rental.. (just checked my bill)
    i assumed calls meant talkplus..but it's as bk says..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dinarius wrote:
    At €50 a month for line rental, all my calls and 3Mb broadband, the BT deal seems excellent. Am I missing something?

http://www.esat.net/echannel/BTres.portal?_nfpb=true&homePage_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2Fhomepage%2FshowBroadbandPage&_windowLabel=homePage

It's not clear if VAT is included. If it is, then it would be really good IMHO.

Finally, if you choose an option that includes broadband from the above link and click "Order", the last option on the second next page is called "Advantage & Line Rental & Broadband Option 3". This is the first mention of an Advantage product that I can see. What does it refer to?

Anyone using this product?

What is the BT contention ratio?

I would love to dump Eircom.

Thanks.

D.
    Bt have 2 calls packages.
    BT Talk (formerly Advantage) and BT Talk plus (formerly Advantage Plus).
    BT Talk basically means that you transfer calls from Eircom to BT and are billed by BT for your calls. You are charged extra for your calls on top of your BB and line rental charge but their rates are lower than Eircoms.
    BT Talk Plus means that you pay an extra sub (around €19) on top of your BB and line rental. For this you get "free" local and national calls anytime.
    So, 3meg BB (option 3) including line rental and BT Talk plus will cost you €69p/m.
    3meg BB including line rental and BT Talk will cost you €50p/m and you pay for your calls on top.
    Their prices include VAT.
    Don't order online. Ring BT sales (1800 923924) and order over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

I know Eircom are a price rip off but I'd think VERY carefully before moving to BT. I moved to BT and it was the worst move I ever made. The amout of time I spent chasing my over billing was incredible.

The €49.82 package I got is the 1MB, Line Rental + Talk Plus (Free National anytime calls). Talk plus+Line rental is €35, 1MB is €20. Ring up and it will be €49.82 combined:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

You must weigh up any savings that you get with BT against the angst you will suffer every time you get a bill.

If your install goes smooth, then fine, but if 1 thing is wrong......

Be prepared for hours upon hours of holding, to be told the same thing by the same people, yet the same problem will arise next time....

NH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Cheers guys.

My current Eircom bill is €185.19 including VAT. That's €66.10 for Eircom Talktime, €66.10 for Broadband Homeplus and €20.85 for other calls (to mobiles, 1850/1890 etc.) plus €32.14 VAT.

Kaizersoze writes that BT would charge €69 x 2 for pretty much the same product (albeit with faster BB), so there is no real saving to be made if the grief is half as bad as some of you make out.

Think I'll stick it out for a while yet.

A friend has just ordered with BT (over the phone), so I'll see how he gets on.

Thanks again.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

Dinarius wrote:
    .....A friend has just ordered with BT (over the phone), so I'll see how he gets on......
    D.

Ouch

Nh

I just got a leaflet in the door from BT with the following bundle options.

EDIT: ok formatting didn't work too well on the post so here's a picture of it:):

untitled7mt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

And they even mdae a misprint!!

The second "Broadband option 2" should be "Broadband option 3".

lol. I did that by mistake, I just typed that out from the leaflet and saved it as a jpg because boards wouldn't format it properly and the text wouldn't stay in line;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dinarius wrote:
    Cheers guys.

My current Eircom bill is €185.19 including VAT. That's €66.10 for Eircom Talktime, €66.10 for Broadband Homeplus and €20.85 for other calls (to mobiles, 1850/1890 etc.) plus €32.14 VAT.

Kaizersoze writes that BT would charge €69 x 2 for pretty much the same product (albeit with faster BB), so there is no real saving to be made if the grief is half as bad as some of you make out.

Think I'll stick it out for a while yet.

A friend has just ordered with BT (over the phone), so I'll see how he gets on.

Thanks again.

D.

You are wrong, you are currently paying €80 per month for 2m BB, line rental and unlimited local and national calls including VAT.

The same package from BT costs just €54.82 per month including VAT, which is €25.18 per month cheaper or €302 per year, very big difference.

bk,

To be perfectly honest, I didn't question Kaisersoze's post though I had my suspicions. You appear to be correct.

My friend has ordered the €54.82 BT package which, as you point out, is the same as what I have.

So, if he is happy with them, I'm out. €302 a year is a lot. In fact, it would almost pay for my NTL subscription!

Ta.

D.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

In order to forestall BT billing issues I use Smart076 for my calls (until BT refund my connection fee and prove reliable) except for 1800...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dinarius wrote:
    bk,

To be perfectly honest, I didn't question Kaisersoze's post though I had my suspicions. You appear to be correct.

My friend has ordered the €54.82 BT package which, as you point out, is the same as what I have.

So, if he is happy with them, I'm out. €302 a year is a lot. In fact, it would almost pay for my NTL subscription!

Ta.

D.
    I used the 3mb package (Option 3) as an example as that's what your original post was inquiring about. I wasn't sure about the cost of the calls add on so I estimated around €19 from memory, so I was €5 off. From Cormie's add the correct price for option 3 with calls is €64.82.

kaizersoze wrote:
    I used the 3mb package (Option 3) as an example as that's what your original post was inquiring about. I wasn't sure about the cost of the calls add on so I estimated around €19 from memory, so I was €5 off. From Cormie's add the correct price for option 3 with calls is €64.82.

Point noted.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

I to had BT's BB+all your phone calls package when they first brought it out about 2yrs ago and as many have said billing was a pain in the arse. While not a total solution I have now gone with "Perlico FreeTalk Anytime" which is all your local/national calls+line rental for €30 which is a tener cheaper than eircom. They also do a 1mb bb for €20 but unlike BT's it only has a 6GB D/L compared to BT's 10GB, so I might run the guantlet:rolleyes: and go with BT for the BB end. As either way they both work out at the same price and at least when I have the BB and phone with different companies I should have some control. Perlico like BT do a DD system for your billing but in Perlico's FAQ they have this which i thought was kind of reasurring

Why do I have to pay by Direct Debit Or Credit Card?

Helping to keep prices down, we have a credit card or direct debit payment policy. This saves customers the time and hassle it takes to get around to paying their bill every month and saves Perlico the cost of processing thousands of payments one by one. Instead, we send you a fully itemized bill, describing each call made and the associated cost. Two weeks later, your account is charged.

If for any reason you have a query, simply tell us, or your bank and your payment will be stopped until the query is resolved or a no quibble refund issued.

On a side note whats the standard modem BT supply with their 1mb BB package can anyone tell me, and their 10GB usage limit is it like before where its 10GB up and 10GB down?

Cheers Cubix

Advertisement