Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of outfitting new house

Options
  • 15-04-2006 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I bought a new 3 bed semi and am just wondering how much it will cost to decorate. Anyone done this recently?
    Im talking about solid wooden floor in living room. Wooden/tiled floor in hallway. Tiled kitchen/dining room/downstairs toilet. Paint all round, carpets upstairs, curtains, curtain fittings, etc.
    I have furniture and appliances.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

It's whatever you can afford really. Set yourself a budget for these things and STICK TO IT. Solid floors for example. You can pay anything between €20 and €120 sqyd. Thing is to list everything out on a piece of paper and put a figure against it. Then start shopping around keeping your budget in mind. I stress the shopping around bit because there are always bargains out there if you are prepared to look and haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

It totally depends on what standard you want but I would allow a budget of €10k for what you described. This is based on Cost + labour charges.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

I recently got a quote of €15,000 for something similar from a builder so you most likely could get it done for €10,000. I was liiking at semi-solid though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Like the others have said, it depends on what quality/bargains you go for. For me I found the most surprisingly expensive bit was tiling.. so that affects your kitchen and toilet I guess. You can save a fair bit here if you're willing to have a go yourself. But to give you an idea, I spent 1000 just on tiles/adhesive/grout for our bathroom. It's not a huge bathroom, they weren't top of the range tiles and I got them in the Christmas sale. Still cost a fair whack, I thought. If you want to get quick idea on your final costs, probably start costing the big items first; I reckon they are your tiles and flooring. Paint and curtains and curtain fittings not going to set you back too much. Think our, standard off the shelve curtains cost 100Euro in the clerys sale and the poles maybe 50 or 60 each. If you wanted the get custom made curtains you can pay at least double the price. Then if you want pleated it'll cost even more.

Advertisement