Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Saxon

• 16-04-2006 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Because I will be doing an interview with SAXON for radio soon I checked them out and found out that they toured or played with so many acts from Maiden to Motörhead, Dio and so on and Elton John even played piano on two tracks.

So, how come they are not as huge as Maiden or Motörhead??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

They've got some good tunes - they were quite big in the early 80's but it never really happened for them. I always thought that they tried to go down the commercial route in the late 80's & it didn't really work for them.

Actually I once saw them play at McGonagles, in 1991. 52 people at the gig. When the drummer threw his sticks out at the end of the show he missed the crowd! :D:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

will you get an album signed for me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yeah, likewise ^^^^^^ :D

I was a huge fan in their heyday (vivdly remember ....And The Bands Played On getting to number 12 in the charts and seeing them on Top Of The Pops). For me, they were the most metal-sounding band around at the time (don't know how else to explain it).

Tell them to play The Eagle Has Landed setlist (twice) as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

My introduction to Saxon was the Destiny album which, let's call a spade a spade here, sucked balls. Luckily, years later, I recovered enough to investigate the early stuff like Wheels Of Steel and Strong Arm Of The Law which are real quality. Haven't heard any of the recent stuff at all.

Wheels of Steel/Strong Arm of the Law/Denim & Leather is the place to be, Dr J. Classic early 80s metal (proper metal)

Their recent album did get some good reviews, I think, but I've not heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Picked all three up for £3 on vinyl in Blackrock market a few years back, result :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I love the band but I don't really like their early stuff much...most of it is pretty similar and generic. I dunno I think I just disliked their sound at the time. Everything from Solid Ball of Rock onwards is classic though.

Still, a lot of classics in the old stuff too I guess.

*aghast*

What?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DOD Crew

Live in Dublin tomorrow night May 17th - Temple Bar Music Centre - 7pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Yup, I'm goin! Let there be buckfast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

saw their tour buses today, they are fecking living the high life.

Cremo wrote:
    saw their tour buses today, they are fecking living the high life.

I was on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I was on it :D
    Biff? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

I'm almost certain that they had a song called 'stand up and be counted' which was about not laying down and taking crap but instead making yourself heard, am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

I'm almost certain that they had a song called 'stand up and be counted' which was about not laying down and taking crap but instead making yourself heard, am I right?

Might be 'Never surrender'?
    Saw the truck after the gig - looked great.

Can recommend the new ceedee -also 'metalhead' from a few years back was pretty good.

Yup. It's on the Wheels of Steel album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

They were o.k. actually, a band of their times perhaps- had a good singer, a real classic rock sound I thought. They also had a song called 'motorcycle man' (I'm certain of this) which you might think is a bit cheesy; but listen to this- they released that song during the 80s, fair enough- but Megadeth (Dave Mustaine) released a song called 'Motocycle' on their (his) album 'Risk', that was in 2002! and it was f\/ckin terrible, as motorbike songs go i think Saxon definitely had the upper hand, if thats possible. Can't go to the gig though, promised the boss overtime. Will they be playing again do you think?

Advertisement