Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone Remeber These Incidents on the Den tv...

• 16-04-2006 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Does anyone remeber the time, back when podge was on the Den.
    this was when ray was presenting.
    but Zig tapped Podge on the shoulder and Podge turned around and said
    "dont you ever fukkin touch me again!"

or the time when it came back early from a break and Zag was shoutong "Bosco Is A Bollix!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Didn't they have the puppets off too at one stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

JokkWylde wrote:
    or the time when it came back early from a break and Zag was shoutong "Bosco Is A Bollix!"

Yes, I remember that! Couldn't believe it at the time. It wasn't just Zag shouting it, the two of them, both Zig and Zig, were actually singing, "Bosco is a bollix, Bosco is a bollix! Na na na na, na na na na!" I think they got taken off the air for about a week afterwards or something like that as a result. Would love to see a clip of that again on the telly or the 'net or something.

As for the other incident involving Podge, can't say I ever heard of that one but I'd love to see that as well. Guess Podge was getting started good and early with the bad language in anticipation of his future career, eh? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

JokkWylde wrote:
    Does anyone remeber the time, back when podge was on the Den.
    this was when ray was presenting.
    but Zig tapped Podge on the shoulder and Podge turned around and said

Oh my god thats hilarious, i'd love to see them clips. Wonder if RTE would be kind enough to give me them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

JokkWylde wrote:
    Zig tapped Podge on the shoulder and Podge turned around and said

the funny thing about that is that it was probably the same guy who was using the 2 puppets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LOL...classic tv ! Anybody remember classic dustin when he had the pencil behind the year and they went on a trip to legoland with "Owen" Dempsey! He was chasing skirt to beat the band lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JokkWylde

yes they really di happen!!!!

ill never forget it!
    i remeber cause i was off school sick and all my older sisters were there and they saw it too and they were in post primary at the time and even they still remeber it,!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Didn't Dustin call Boyzone a bunch of "bloody poofs" or something during a live interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I seem to remember Zig and Zag getting banned off the air for calling Ian Dempsey's new haircut "fcuking cat". That was a hell of a long time ago though.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

All we need is one person with a 10 year old video tape. :D i'd LOVE to see that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

They were taken off the air once after a show where they were imitating the sounds made by farm animals. After the usual innocent moo, neigh and cock-a-doodle-doo sounds Zig was asked to to imitate a pig so he said "Will you step out of the vehicle".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

God the memories of Zig and Zag! The album still cracks me up anytime i listen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thats hilarious, surely someone will be able to root out a tape of it. Hopefully anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I was an avid viewer of the show in my youth, but I don't remember it ever being taken off the air. Maybe old age senility is starting to get to me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Hagar wrote:
    After the usual innocent moo, neigh and cock-a-doodle-doo sounds Zig was asked to to imitate a pig so he said "Will you step out of the vehicle".

That is classic !

I could be remembering wrong - but didnt they once say something about Bibi Baskin along the lines of

'Jaysus I'd ride her like a racehorse'

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Hagar wrote:
    They were taken off the air once after a show where they were imitating the sounds made by farm animals. After the usual innocent moo, neigh and cock-a-doodle-doo sounds Zig was asked to to imitate a pig so he said "Will you step out of the vehicle".

Ray D'arcy has been asked this countless times, and according to him, it never happened.

Don't know about the rest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

elurhs wrote:
    Ray D'arcy has been asked this countless times, and according to him, it never happened.

All hushed up under the official secrets act. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

The Bosco is a sollix on definately happened. And I remember hearing about the others back then too. But cant confirm them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Sizzler wrote:
    LOL...classic tv ! Anybody remember classic dustin when he had the pencil behind the year and they went on a trip to legoland with "Owen" Dempsey! He was chasing skirt to beat the band lol

Yep! Or when Ian Dempsey went to Disneyland with Zig and Zag, or when Ray went to Moscow with Zig and Zag! I used to love those shows...the faces on the locals be it the U.S. or Russia was priceless! Puppets with Irish accents (until they went to channel 4and they became Cockney overnight!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Rockee wrote:
    Puppets with Irish accents (until they went to channel 4and they became Cockney overnight!)

did the two guys go over to channel 4 or was it just the image rights for the two puppets? if you get me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

did the two guys go over to channel 4 or was it just the image rights for the two puppets? if you get me?

They used to be on two slots on the Big Breakfast on CH4 around 1994 and 1995.

They were still contracted to RTE when they started doing the BB, and used to have to fly back and forth daily for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Hagar wrote:

lol ahhh man, thanks for that Hagar, thats without a doubt the funniest thing I've heard this year, wish I couldv'e seen it, hehehe step out of the vehicle ahh fcuk thats funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

elurhs wrote:

I'm pretty sure this happened on Ian Dempsey's radio show. Back when he used to present the Den, (or Dempsey's Den as it was then) Zig and Zag would periodically invade his morning show.

After they'd been rude they would be suspended for a week or two, the Den would still go on with it's human presenter but without the puppets. Tbh, I suspect they got Zuppy so that they could have an inoffensive puppet to amuse small children when Zig and Zag were off.

Anyone remember the year they put up their Christmas tree on November 23rd and said it was two days to Christmas. They went on for what seemed like ages. I was 10 and knew they were wrong, but I wanted to believe it and got excited. I was crushed when Ray pointed out that it was a month and two days to Christmas. Even my mum pointing out that if it was the 23rd of December I'd have missed my birthday on the 7th didn't cheer me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

It is a stated fact that the 'Bosco is a Bollix' story is urban myth, it never happened, a figment of peoples imagination. I challenge any of you who claim to have seen it to produce some video to back up your stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

radioman wrote:
    It is a stated fact that the 'Bosco is a Bollix' story is urban myth, it never happened, a figment of peoples imagination. I challenge any of you who claim to have seen it to produce some video to back up your stories

I think you're right, but the story about the pig is meant to be true.

They had Simon Young and and some useless blond fill in for Ray/Ian/Zig and Zig whenever they were off, it was terrible, a real let down.

Also, Zig and Zig never spoke with cockney or any kind of English accents on Channel 4, ridiculous notion that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fife

the funny thing about that is that it was probably the same guy who was using the 2 puppets!
    Zag is Podge and Zig is Rodge,same dudes do them,and socky is their brother.
    its a family thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Originally Posted by Hagar

The Pig/"Willl you step out of the ve-hickle, Sur" incident really did happen. It was on "The Den" with Ian Dempsey. They were off the air for a good while after that (maybe 3 weeks).

If anyone could track down old tapes that would be amazing (although fairly unlikely I s'pose!), as there were plenty of times when they went just that little bit too far for the presenter (Ian or Ray) to cope with.

For instance: Back in the day, when Snickers were Marathons (ask your grandpa!) Ian Dempsey did a voice-over ("Only Marathon has Peanuts, Caramel and Nougat"!) for an ad for them (the ad was on every feckin break!). During the break while The Den was on, this ad was shown. When they came back, Ian started talking about what was coming up in the show and, when you would expect Zig n Zag to start talking, they just kept repeating "Nougaaaahhh" to him, over and over until he couldn't talk for laughing.:D

Ah the memories! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hagar wrote:

That was deffo. on the radio show - I remember listening to it on the bus into school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Hagar wrote:

this is priceless!! LMAO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

the 'bosco is a bollix' incident never happened, complete urban legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Doodlebug wrote:
    For instance: Back in the day, when Snickers were Marathons (ask your grandpa!) Ian Dempsey did a voice-over ("Only Marathon has Peanuts, Caramel and Nougat"!) for an ad for them (the ad was on every feckin break!). During the break while The Den was on, this ad was shown. When they came back, Ian started talking about what was coming up in the show and, when you would expect Zig n Zag to start talking, they just kept repeating "Nougaaaahhh" to him, over and over until he couldn't talk for laughing.:D

Ah the memories! :cool:
    crazy thing about that is, i remember the Nougahh thing it went on for weeks, but i never knew why

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I couldn't find any of those clips anywhere straight off, but I did find this one. It's not particularly funny or anything, but it does bring back memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Thanks for the clips! God, Ray looks about 8 years old! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Faith wrote:
    I couldn't find any of those clips anywhere straight off, but I did find this one. It's not particularly funny or anything, but it does bring back memories!

For some reason I find this clip hysterically funny. I can't stop watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmm! Maybe the Bosco thing is an urban myth, although I seem to recall a story in that fabulous paper of record, the Evening Herald (The Her'ld) giving ou about the obscenity of that moment :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Also, Zig and Zig never spoke with cockney or any kind of English accents on Channel 4, ridiculous notion that.

Ah, but you see you are wrong.

Advertisement