Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring money abroad using IBAN???

Options
  • 16-04-2006 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in the North and want to open euro bank account, that part seems straight forward but my main reason for doing so is to send money to Europe where they are all in euros too.

Can I use internet banking to send the money to IBAN codes in other countries for free or is there a charge?

Obviously I can send a euro cheque but I know in some countries e.g. France they all transfer money between their bank accounts and use IBAN / SWIFT to do it.

Any one any knowledge? I have to pay £25stg to transfer money using IBAN code from my stg account in North and I'm sick of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

you cannot do it online as far as i know as i used to send money through iban number.banks in ireland can charge anything up to 25 euro.i have been charged that few times and also i have have done it for free afew times as i stated im a student.

anyway there is a charge normally as nothing is free:D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

My understanding is that European Commission has force banks using IBAN/swift codes to treat it as a national transfer.
    It's only suppose to cost €0.50 cents.
    I done this successfully myself, but once they caught me for €19 charge because they thought I wanted it transfered by the next day. I complained of course and got my money back!!

For some reason (money grabbing) it take something like 1-5 working days to process??

I had to go to my branch and fill out a form...pain in the ass (no online access)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

pan wrote:
    My understanding is that European Commission has force banks using IBAN/swift codes to treat it as a national transfer.
    It's only suppose to cost €0.50 cents.
    I done this successfully myself, but once they caught me for €19 charge because they thought I wanted it transfered by the next day. I complained of course and got my money back!!

For some reason (money grabbing) it take something like 1-5 working days to process??

I had to go to my branch and fill out a form...pain in the ass (no online access)

0.50cent i never heard of that before.i used to make international transfers i think thats why it was expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can now do international transfers via AIB's internet banking syetem.

http://www.aib.ie/internetbankinghelp/faqs/international.html#q13

Free for any amount up to €5K apparently.

Advertisement