Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data protection question

Options
  • 16-04-2006 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I ordered a pizza the other night from a fairly well known company. When I had placed my order I was expecting the whole address thing, but as soon as I'd said my name and given my number, they just rattled off my address to me! I've only used these guys once before, and my phone is ex-directory.

So I'm wondering, do they keep all my details on file? Are they allowed do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

depends on how they use the info, they might say its for security to prevent bogus call-outs by matching numbers to addresses etc.

I know most pizza companies do this nowadays and you can legally request to have your info removed from their database, but at the end of the day its only a pizza company :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

most pizza places usually keep your address on the system, suppose it is good customer service, so you do not have to keep giving your full address each time you call up, and they know straight away what you might like to order " same as before" .... also they will probably have the directions for their driver listed on the order sheet so that it will be delivered quicker.
    mmmmmmmmhhhhhhh pizza, dam you i'm hungry now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Savman wrote:
    I know most pizza companies do this nowadays and you can legally request to have your info removed from their database, but at the end of the day its only a pizza company :rolleyes:

Ah yea I know, just thought I'd ask. Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I ordered a pizza the other night from a fairly well known company. When I had placed my order I was expecting the whole address thing, but as soon as I'd said my name and given my number, they just rattled off my address to me! I've only used these guys once before, and my phone is ex-directory.

So I'm wondering, do they keep all my details on file? Are they allowed do this?

The simple answer is NO. If they wish to retain information for this purpose you have to ask the permission of the data subject...ie YOU! So they should be asking you at the first point of contact to see if you object to the continuous retention of your personal details.

Grass them up to the data protection commissioner and say that this pizza company is contravening the act, not just for you, but for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sizzler wrote:
    The simple answer is NO. If they wish to retain information for this purpose you have to ask the permission of the data subject...ie YOU! So they should be asking you at the first point of contact to see if you object to the continuous retention of your personal details.

Grass them up to the data protection commissioner and say that this pizza company is contravening the act, not just for you, but for everybody.

Relax, it a pizza, a 12 inch circle of dough, topped with tomatoe paste and various other savoury foods, do you honestly think they are going to sell information on what toppings you like to Enron or some other massive corporation or may they are going to pass the information on to the revenue commisioners, amybe you are ordering too many pizzas for the money you state you are earning and they can use that as evidene to build a case file on you and charge you even more tax.

Chances are if you read the small print that it says they will save the information.

Thats my rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Sizzler wrote:

This is not the case.

The company will be only violating the data protection act if they pass on the information to a 3rd party without customer authorisation, or contact customer with marketing messages without giving them an opt-out option for written material or opt in option for e-mail, text messaging material.

Using customer details to enhance the customer experience (as per above example) is not contravening the act by any means, and is actually using a database the way it should be used.

gillo wrote:
    Relax, it a pizza, a 12 inch circle of dough, topped with tomatoe paste and various other savoury foods, do you honestly think they are going to sell information on what toppings you like to Enron or some other massive corporation or may they are going to pass the information on to the revenue commisioners, amybe you are ordering too many pizzas for the money you state you are earning and they can use that as evidene to build a case file on you and charge you even more tax.

Chances are if you read the small print that it says they will save the information.

Thats my rant over.

FFS, he asked a question and he got an answer, he didnt ask for an evauluation on the line of business.

Culchie wrote:
    This is not the case.

The company will be only violating the data protection act if they pass on the information to a 3rd party without customer authorisation, or contact customer with marketing messages without giving them an opt-out option for written material or opt in option for e-mail, text messaging material.

Using customer details to enhance the customer experience (as per above example) is not contravening the act by any means, and is actually using a database the way it should be used.

Sorry son, but thats a naughty word. Have a read of the act and you will see why,the examples you have stated are indeed also breaches but I think you will find under section 4 of the act that using/storing information without the subject matters permission is a breach of the act.Doesnt matter if its a pizza or a 50K loan from a bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

post deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Pizza eeehh ! i know what you had for dinner last night :rolleyes:
    chill out guys, do you honestly think people are interested in what pizza you eat when they can intercept e-mail, phone calls etc....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The op probably gave the Pizza company details of his phone number when requested ( for confirmation ) and his address (for delivery).

there is no violation of the data protection act per se other than to establish that the pizza company has registered with the data protection commissioner.

If the OP has never driven a mile over the speed limit in his life then he would be wholy justified in pursuing this matter to its logical conclusion.

Advertisement