Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you always remove your helmet?

• 16-04-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Was fillling up with petrol this morning and as always took of my helmet before entering the shop.
    There were two other bikers there who didn't take off their helmets when paying at the counter. Expected the shop assistant to say something but she was happy to serve them

So just wondering what fellow bikers do. Obviously going into a bank is a different matter but what about just paying for petrol or just grabbbing something quickly in a shop

I always take off my helmet as I was told off once by a security guard at a Statoil station for not doing it. If I thought I didn't have to then I wouldn't as it a pain taking off and putting back on your helmet when you wear glasses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I always take mine off when I get off the bike at the pumps and put it back on when I am about to get back on the bike after paying.

I had heard that it is a good idea to take off the helmet when refuelling "just in case" something happened.

As I have a full helmet, I take it off before going into the shop, however, I have seen a few Tourers/couriers with the flip helmets leave theirs on, and on one occasion a mopedeer with the helmet resting "on top" of their head. He also promptly drove down the road with the helmet still on top of his head rather than wearing it properly because he was too cool to wear it properly :rolleyes:

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

never bother to remove it when i go to fill up and pay in the shop but always remove it when i go into a newagent/supermarket,whats the difference!?!! just a habit i've developed i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Always take it off when filling up and put it back on when I'm moving off. find it a pain though. So I usually end up having a coffee and a smoke to make it worthwhile. Although I've used some garages that don't seem to mind, and some that do, so your first time at a garage you just don't know. At least at night you can use the hatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

unless i m told to remove it i dont bother when it comes to petrol stations, i just couldnt be arsedtaking it off, removing my scarf, & then having to put on my scarf again & then my helmet

I remove mine but it is a lengthy procedure as i wear glasses too, so there's an extra step for me. I hate taking it off it when it's raining because if my glasses get wet then i have to dry them as well. I was thinking about buying a flip-up lid just to avoid the nuisance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I`d never take it off. Too much of a pain to try and hold ur lid, glasses, gloves, and get monely out at the same time. Also, If asked (once i was) I still wouldnt take it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

Usually i only fill up the bike in 1 of 2 places and at this stage they know me so they never mind me leaving the lid on, if i was going anywhere and ended up filling it in a garage that i've never been too or very rarely use then i would take it off alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd always take mine off. Pure habit.

I remember filling up in Ranelagh years back. I'd removed my helmet and gloves and then sat on the bike (to level it while refueling - again, habit). The pump wouldn't work. After about three minutes, the manager comes out and tells me, "You'll have to get off the bike". I laughed. Then I saw he was serious. "You can't sit on the bike while you're refueling". :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i take mine off out of habit and the fact that its a useful baskety-handbag type thing. though if its pissin raining and ive to deal w/ a hatch or something ill leave it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

baz8080 wrote:
    #I was thinking about buying a flip-up lid just to avoid the nuisance
    It's the way forward tbh. I usually have lenses in but the odd time when I do wear the glasses it's sooo handy being able to take the helmet off or put it on without taking the specs off too.. I have a Justissmo too and can use the sun visor with glasses(!!!) so there's no driving blindly down the road, pulling over, getting sun glasses only for it to rain 2 mins after!!:D I take my helmet off btw - i want everyone to see i'm a biker chick! lol :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

tk123 wrote:
    It's the way forward tbh. I usually have lenses in but the odd time when I do wear the glasses it's sooo handy being able to take the helmet off or put it on without taking the specs off too.. I have a Justissmo too and can use the sun visor with glasses(!!!) so there's no driving blindly down the road, pulling over, getting sun glasses only for it to rain 2 mins after!!:D I take my helmet off btw - i want everyone to see i'm a biker chick! lol :cool:
    your a girl? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

nereid wrote:

As I have a full helmet, I take it off before going into the shop, however, I have seen a few Tourers/couriers with the flip helmets leave theirs on, and on one occasion a mopedeer with the helmet resting "on top" of their head. He also promptly drove down the road with the helmet still on top of his head rather than wearing it properly because he was too cool to wear it properly :rolleyes:

L.

When I first got a bike the mechanic at the dealer was answering all my stupid newbie questions. He told me all about this but its not something I've ever seen.
    Absolute madness!!

Removing a helmet isn't so bad but when you wear glasses it's worse. God damn my poor eye sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I always take mine off when paying but not when refuelling.

Funny story a lad told me once. A courier pulled into the garage on the crossroads of haddington road and baggot street. Went to, say pump A, and filled most of his tank up. Then went to Pump B and filled it with a € worth. Went into the shop and payed a €, cheap git :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I always leave mine on, too much hassle to take it off. Unless you're on a long run and want a rest. If i was asked to take it off i still wouldn't. To be honest, I wouldn't go to a petrol station if you had to take it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

I always leave mine on coz I'm a bit lazy.

One time I pulled into a garage, opened the petrol cap an stuck the nozzle in an waited an waited an waited for the petrol to come out but it wouldn't. Then a girl working in the garage came out to me to say that they couldn't read my registration number from the cctv so they shut off the pump. (My bike was particularly dirty that day). This was fair enough tho I suppose.

But another time at a different garage, just as I was putting on the petrol cap AFTER filling up, a chinese girl came out to me and was a bit hysterical saying "You have to take off your helmet, you have to take off your helmet!!". I understood her perfectly but said "Wha?" just to annoy her. Then I got a bit pissed off thinking "she can't tell me what to do". How would she like it if I said "You have to take off your top, you have to take off your top"!! Anyway, I went in to pay but kept the helmet on, handed over the cash an I haven't been back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

I went into a garage one time, fuelled up, and headed in to pay. There were about 7 other people in front of me in the queue, so it took a good 5 mins to get up to the counter. Now, I was clearly visible, helmet firmly on head, the whole time, but it was only when I got to the register that one of the guys behind the counter tells me that I have to take my lid off. I thought this was ridiculous, refused to do so, and asked him why I should. His response was that it was for staff safety, and the other lad said it was for *my* safety. So I said, "How is it for my safety? It makes some sense that it'd be for staff safety but I think, if I was going to stick the place up, I would've done it as soon as I came in the door, and not queued politely, cash in hand, for the opportunity." This was probably a poor choice of words, as they only seemed to hear "stick the place up", and the sudden look of terror on their faces made me burst out laughing (and a couple of people in the queue behind me). Anyway, I paid for the petrol and never went back to the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I have to say I never take my lid off. I was asked to once in dundrum when going into a centra or something. I've not been back to it since. I've gone to many fuel stations and they have't given a rats a$$, This includes wearing sunglasses.

I've gotten odd looks from people in shops walking about getting stuff. but I normaly have the money in hand so they tend not to care once the see that I indend to pay.

And the reason I dont take of the hemlets is becasue I have only ever had arai's.they have treading system. Gets a pain in the a$$ taking it off and putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

I always take my lid off - despite the hassle with the glasses and all that. It's called having no spine. :rolleyes:

Still, the attitude of some of the places where I stop for petrol. :mad: I'm so tired of waiting while they obviously debate inside whether to turn the pumps on or not.... Well, I suppose being a fat man, wearing glasses and a bad hair cut, who dismounts his cruiser and takes off his helmet, I'm the typical criminal-type...me arse. Do they want me to strip naked before they turn on the pumps? No...no one should want that!

Back when I was at my politest, the staff in different petrol stations always gave me attitude when I went in...one of my old regular spots there was a guy who got edgy the minute I got inside the shop to pay and always seemed to lean back when handing me my change, as if I was suddenly going to go for him at any second AFTER paying for my petrol.

Now-a-days I mostly pick a spot close to the hatch when pulling in at whatever random station I'm at so I can put the nozzel of the pump in the tank and then glare at the person behind the tills until they turn on the pumps. They actually seem happier if you give them a reason to be a bit wary. God, those cagers make me so mad sometimes...one day I'll give them a proper terminal reason to fscking be wary of me...:mad:

Wait...what was the question again?

p.s. I know all pumps are not that bad...but a lot of southside ones are. There is one place on the coast road that has (or, at least, did have) a really cool Russian guy behind the till who, I suspect from his comments, had a bike himself at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

psicic wrote:
    I always take my lid off - despite the hassle with the glasses and all that. It's called having no spine. :rolleyes:

Still, the attitude of some of the places where I stop for petrol. :mad: I'm so tired of waiting while they obviously debate inside whether to turn the pumps on or not.... Well, I suppose being a fat man, wearing glasses and a bad hair cut, who dismounts his cruiser and takes off his helmet, I'm the typical criminal-type...me arse. Do they want me to strip naked before they turn on the pumps? No...no one should want that!

Back when I was at my politest, the staff in different petrol stations always gave me attitude when I went in...one of my old regular spots there was a guy who got edgy the minute I got inside the shop to pay and always seemed to lean back when handing me my change, as if I was suddenly going to go for him at any second AFTER paying for my petrol.

Now-a-days I mostly pick a spot close to the hatch when pulling in at whatever random station I'm at so I can put the nozzel of the pump in the tank and then glare at the person behind the tills until they turn on the pumps. They actually seem happier if you give them a reason to be a bit wary. God, those cagers make me so mad sometimes...one day I'll give them a proper terminal reason to fscking be wary of me...:mad:

Wait...what was the question again?

p.s. I know all pumps are not that bad...but a lot of southside ones are. There is one place on the coast road that has (or, at least, did have) a really cool Russian guy behind the till who, I suspect from his comments, had a bike himself at some stage.

lol you are an angry, angry man :D

Advertisement