Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog troubles

• 16-04-2006 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭

iv a Jack Russel
    and iv having a few problems
    first off

when he gets to excited he pees [like seeing new people]
    how can i stop this

also he just wont come in to the house,he wants me to run after him

any help

is there any books i can buy which are good for training dogs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

when he gets to excited he pees [like seeing new people]
    how can i stop this

I assume he's a young dog? If so, he should grow out of it. If not, well, try to get him to pee more often in the garden, that way there'll be less...pressure.
    also he just wont come in to the house,he wants me to run after him

Dogs like games. If its not a game you want to play then you need to show him whos boss. Do it consistently and he'll learn it won't work. Indulge him and he'll learn that it will work and he'll never stop.
    is there any books i can buy which are good for training dogs

Thousands. The "Idiots guide to..." series is good for anything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Zillah wrote:

Dogs like games. If its not a game you want to play then you need to show him whos boss. Do it consistently and he'll learn it won't work. Indulge him and he'll learn that it will work and he'll never stop.

how do i show him whose boss
    i do indulge him but still its quite hard to get him in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Look him in the eye, head on and tell him. Distract him with something else and reward him when hes being good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds like he's a bit nervous, lots of dogs pee like that it's a sign of submission but can also be from nervousness as well. The thing to do is if you pet him and he looks like he's going to pee walk off and don't pet him reward him for not peeing etc.
    This book was recommended on another site for someone havent read it myself but sounds like its one of the better books around.

The Perfect Puppy
    by Gwen Bailey

Also clicker training is a great tool for nervy dogs, it builds up their confidence and bond with their owner.

Your dog already knows whos boss because he's submissive, the clicker training will help with getting him indoors, within half an hour you'll have him eating out of your hand if you follw the instructions, its so simple. You dont even need a clicker really, basically get a bag of treats like little tiny pieces of chicken or whatever he likes, stand in the garden or at the door etc and call the dog in a friendly tone, the dog will soon smell the treat and come running up, tell the dog to sit once the bum is on the ground say 'good boy' or the like and give the treat to the dog straight away. Keep doing this and he'll come when you call him, eventually you can move on to touching the collar and then giving the treat eg if you wanted him to come back to you when called and put his lead on, its a brillant method of training and so easy even kids can do it. Don't scold the dog if he gets it wrong just ignore the behaviour you don't want. The key is in routine, once he gets the hang of it practice the routine once or twice a week to keep it fresh in his memory.
    You'll find he will sit the minute you call him very quickly.
    If you can't get him to sit just say sit and then bring your hand with the treat over his head and he'll automatically sit.

Pet Bliss sell clickers and they come with a simple handbook that explains everything. It's only 4.99 great buy for any dog owner, aparently can work on cats too. Some people use them on parrots.
    http://www.pet-bliss.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2epet%2dbliss%2ecom%2facatalog%2fDog_Training%2ehtml&WD=clicker%20training&SHOP=%20&PN=Dog_Training%2ehtml%23a1879#a1879

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sounds like he's a bit nervous, lots of dogs pee like that it's a sign of submission but can also be from nervousness as well. The thing to do is if you pet him and he looks like he's going to pee walk off and don't pet him reward him for not peeing etc.
    This book was recommended on another site for someone havent read it myself but sounds like its one of the better books around.

The Perfect Puppy
    by Gwen Bailey

Also clicker training is a great tool for nervy dogs, it builds up their confidence and bond with their owner.

Your dog already knows whos boss because he's submissive, the clicker training will help with getting him indoors, within half an hour you'll have him eating out of your hand if you follw the instructions, its so simple. You dont even need a clicker really, basically get a bag of treats like little tiny pieces of chicken or whatever he likes, stand in the garden or at the door etc and call the dog in a friendly tone, the dog will soon smell the treat and come running up, tell the dog to sit once the bum is on the ground say 'good boy' or the like and give the treat to the dog straight away. Keep doing this and he'll come when you call him, eventually you can move on to touching the collar and then giving the treat eg if you wanted him to come back to you when called and put his lead on, its a brillant method of training and so easy even kids can do it. Don't scold the dog if he gets it wrong just ignore the behaviour you don't want. The key is in routine, once he gets the hang of it practice the routine once or twice a week to keep it fresh in his memory.
    You'll find he will sit the minute you call him very quickly.
    If you can't get him to sit just say sit and then bring your hand with the treat over his head and he'll automatically sit.

Pet Bliss sell clickers and they come with a simple handbook that explains everything. It's only 4.99 great buy for any dog owner, aparently can work on cats too. Some people use them on parrots.
    http://www.pet-bliss.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2epet%2dbliss%2ecom%2facatalog%2fDog_Training%2ehtml&WD=clicker%20training&SHOP=%20&PN=Dog_Training%2ehtml%23a1879#a1879
    thanks Guineapigrescue
    iv that printed off and going to try it out today thanks

thank RUU and Zillah

• Advertisement
Advertisement