Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve McLaren looks to have the England Job.

• 16-04-2006 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

According to todays Sunday Times, Martin O'Niell has been ruled out of the England job and it'll go to McLaren. Big Phil Scolari is still in the race but he
    only has one selector (David Dein) in his corner. The announcment could be made as soon as next Wednesday.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Big Phil has been distancing himself from it so I think he's out. For all England's financial recourses, If the best manager they can get is Steve McLaren, it shows something is't right in the FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'd very concerned about McLaren as manager if I was an England fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It does smack of desperation. The fact Boro have started to come good in two cup competitions means little or nothing.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I honestly believe, McClaren leaving United was a huge blow for the club. He done some great work with United so I do believe he has potential. He hasnt showed this potential at Boro. Whether thats all his fault Im not sure.

He has been involved in the England set up for some time now so that will work in his favour. When you take in suitability, availibility and desire for the job it doesnt leave that many options.

Personally i would fight tooth and nail to get Allardyce. Not the prettiest of football, but he could really get the most of each and every player. He also wouldnt be afraid to make the big decisions. Which is what is holding this England team back IMO. Sven has and will continue to play players based on their reputation as opposed to picking the right players for the team/ "system".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

England needs somebody who can do the following thigns:

Play 4-4-2
    Make big decesions to drop a player.

Big Sam or McClaren have that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

McClaren has done average with a good side at Middlesborough, If he wasn't already involved in the set up, nobody would bother considering. Allardyce has not been tested at a decent club and it remains unknown whether he can get players playing good football and utilise properly the talents of players like Rooney or Joe Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, its all about who has had the best run over the last 10 games.

it was curbishley before christmas, then it was stuart pierce, and now that mclarne is in the final of a european and domestic cup, obviously he is the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well he did lead 'Boro to their first trophy a couple of seasons back, in two semi-finals now so he's been doing well in cup competitions. I'd say his UEFA Cup run in particular has done his chances the world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'd be worried. His closeness to the England setup at the minute may mean he doesn't have the necessary minerals to make the big decisions.....eg dropping Becham/Lampard/Gerard to fit his system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

McLaren would be a very bad move.
    Before christmas while Boro were on a bad run his name wasn't even being mentioned. The British media are so fickle.

Not sure why they have it in their head that the next manager should be English, O'Neill or Scholari would be the best bets in my opinion.
    If he has to be English then Sam is the best candidate imho.
    Constistant performer who gets the best out of a group of players.

Not sure what the deal is with the british media, I mean they hound and upset the manager (sheik incident) and the star players (Rooney gambling, rooney Owen reported fall out). Not to mention talking the players up too much and placing too much pressure on them. Then they expect the players to go into the World Cup and win it. :eek: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

I'd very concerned about McLaren as manager if I was an England fan.

very true:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Has anyone noticed how managers linked with the position over new years have been on a disasterous run of late: Sam, Curbishley and Pearce.......coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would have though Big Sam would have been perfect. Would love him at Utd when Fergie goes to be honest.

Advertisement