Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 Laguna 1.6L Super Sport Problem

Options
  • 16-04-2006 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey all,

Now I know alot on here have low opinions and bad experiences of Lagunas but I've encountered a problem with a newly purchased 2001 model and would appreciate any help.

When I'm driving and use one of the indicators, it seems to cause the cars computer to shut down and restart. It's like the indicator unit momentarily robs power from the dash. I've noticed that sometimes when the computer comes back up after being knocked off that 4 miles have been added onto the mileage of the car.

Has anyone heard of this complaint before? I've searched for solutions on the net and only found one page which states that the problem can be fixed...but doesn't say how!
    http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=renault_laguna_dashboard

Thanks
    TH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say you should take it back to the main dealer's and get them to check the diagnostic's. As far as I'm concerned Renault's are a disaster area when it comes to electrics and will cost lots to fix and I speak from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

As junkyard says, this is only the beghinning of ur problems, my advice is consider selling it after u fix it if anything else malfunctions. try a google for renault forums first before a trek to renault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

thanks for the replies, only problem is junkyard, i didn't buy from a dealer so can't take it back. Had no joy in Google finding any similar problems either.

You can still take it to a main dealer even if you didn't buy it there but they have a habit of just changing things instead of repairing them. You could also try a good autoelectrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

from that link it sounds like "Failing components inside the
    cluster are to blame."
    this means u need a new cluster basically or a remanufactured one.

this is what it says on honest john
    85 bhp 2.2 diesels sluggish on the open road. Long-backed drivers find themselves sitting too close to the top of the huge windscreen. Old 95 bhp 1.8 and 115 bhp 2.0 litre 8-valve engines outclassed. Old 170 bhp 2,963 cc V6 not a very good package. Poor quality electrics lead to all manner of irritating failures, including alternator and the auto gearbox multi-function switch. More than its fair share of recalls. Power steering failure common. Heater matrixes fail in the welds. Dashboards expensive to remove to replace bulbs or heater matrix. Automatics troublesome (front drive clutch drum splits). Manual gearboxes subject to bearing failure after 6 - 7 years and 60 - 80,000 miles. Timing belt of diesel drives the water pump and these have been known to seize at as little as 59,200 miles and two years old, stripping the teeth off the belt and causing £1,100 worth of engine damage. In June 2001 started to get reports of noisy front dampers on 2000W reg Lagunas due to faulty batch of dampers. Getting reports of failed hatchback locks. Also short lived rear wheel bearings. Immobiliser keys have rolling codes, can't be coded by locksmiths and cost £120 to replace at Renault dealers. In June 2001 Renault was rated by Motor Warranty Direct as Britain's joint 4th worst out of 22 marques for used car warranty claims. On petrol models if lambda sensor fails whole manifold may need to be replaced. Renault had above average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 114.24 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk 1995-2000 petrol and diesel Lagunas average for problems but poor for breakdowns and faults in 2003 Which survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

lomb wrote:
    As junkyard says, this is only the beginning of ur problems, my advice is consider selling it after u fix it if anything else malfunctions. try a google for renault forums first before a trek to renault though.
    This is the best advice you can take - If you hold onto the car ir could well end up costing you a fortune. At present Renaults are the most unreliable car on the market, IMO.

crosstownk wrote:
    This is the best advice you can take - If you hold onto the car ir could well end up costing you a fortune. At present Renaults are the most unreliable car on the market, IMO.
    I'd certainly agree with you there crosstownk, they are a disaster of a car like all French cars. They're trying to sell them on their safety features now as well...personally I'd prefer to take my chances on a bike.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

junkyard wrote:
    I'd certainly agree with you there crosstownk, they are a disaster of a car like all French cars. They're trying to sell them on their safety features now as well...personally I'd prefer to take my chances on a bike.:)
    Oh they are safe alright. How can you have an accident in a car that spends most of it's life in the garage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Wow, such helpful and constructive responses :rolleyes: From what I can see, the OP is looking for some advice on his Laguna, not for a lecture on how crap everyone thinks French cars are. Some of the stuff being posted is actually laughable. First of all, lomb, if you're going to quote Honestjohn it'd be a help it you picked out the right car. The OP's Laguna is a 2001 Supersport and therefore is the newer model, the quote you posted is for the original Laguna.

As for Renaults and safety - that argument has been done before junkyard and you lost.

Just to even things up, next time someone posts in this forum about a problem with their VW, Ford, BMW etc. I'm going to spoil the ****ing thread with irrelevant and off topic comments. Just like you lot do everytime someone looks for advice about an Alfa, Fiat, Citroen, Renault or Peugeot.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

thanks Brian, yea as i stated in my original post im well aware what people think of French cars and in particular Renault. I'm looking for a bit of helpful advice and not the "i told you so" ones!

• Advertisement

Well first of all I gave helpful advice as regards taking it back to the main dealers to get the problem located as you could take it to any small garage and they may not have the equipment to locate the problem. Secondly I gave more advice from personal experience the Renault's give lots of trouble when it comes to electrics and its general knowledge that the build quality is poor just like all French cars. I run a garage for a living and supply cars and repair them so I figure I can offer some first hand information if someone wants help, I'm not sure what Brian3D does for a living but I presume from his vast knowledge he's in a similar line of business.;)
    Oh and one other thing, I haven't come across too many people with problems with their BMW's or Fords.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

junkyard wrote:
    Well first of all I gave helpful advice as regards taking it back to the main dealers to get the problem located as you could take it to any small garage and they may not have the equipment to locate the problem.
    In fairness to you, you did give this helpful advice. But then you ruined it by coming out with your usual blanket statements that all French cars are crap and so on.

I'd love to know by what criteria you've determined that all French cars have poor build quality. You may have had a point 20 years ago when some French cars had brittle plasticky interiors where bits would fall off. But this isn't the case with modern Renaults. The plastics are of decent quality and well screwed together. Don't know about Pugs and Citroens but they seem OK too.

PS junkyard do you eat chips? You don't happen to call them "Freedom Fries" by any chance? :)

I supplied a fleet of eight Renault's to a company I deal with and within 2 years every one of them broke down in one way or another and some of them on numerous occasions, needless to say the company wasn't too pleased but I was left holding the baby by replacing the fleet with Fords. Incidentally the company chose Renaults against my advice. Trying to organise towing from the far end of Donegal on a Sunday isn't much fun from Cork as I'm sure you can appreciate. With regard to "freedom fries" I go for the oven ready variety myself as even the French ones fall apart.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i have to agree with Junkyard in respect of the new type laguna. they are probably the most unreliable car on the road at the moment. some of the problems are ; balljoints , rear axle mounting bushes at 500 Euro a side fitted , speedos , electric windows and numerous other electrical problems which i can attest to personally. sorry for the OP but this needs to be said. i have worked on french cars for many years and have owned many but i would'nt take a modern one for nothing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

greglo23 wrote:
    i have to agree with Junkyard in respect of the new type laguna. they are probably the most unreliable car on the road at the moment. some of the problems are ; balljoints , rear axle mounting bushes at 500 Euro a side fitted , speedos , electric windows and numerous other electrical problems which i can attest to personally. sorry for the OP but this needs to be said. i have worked on french cars for many years and have owned many but i would'nt take a modern one for nothing :p

They are a pile of 5****e, but I think most people know that before they buy them, they do offer a lot of spec for the money. You don't have to look too hard to find posts about the lagunas (lack of) reliability

I would say the best thing to do would be to go to a Renault garage, the cars faults are usually common, so it's likely they've seen this particular glitch before

Advertisement