Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from CMAS to PADI

Options
  • 16-04-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

I've been living in Egypt for the past 6 months and have fallen in love with diving. I've done the CMAS course and when I return from my next 4 day live-onboard trip I'll be a 2 Star diver according to CMAS regulations.

However I've heard that CMAS isn't really well recognised in many parts of the world.

When I return to Ireland in late summer I want to continue diving, so can anyone tell me if I need to change to PADI, and if so is this an easy process?

And also - can you recommend any good dive clubs?

Shiv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm a total novice (Only a * CMAS trainee) but ive been told that CMAS is better recognised over here in Ireland.

This may not be true, but its what ive been told from a few diving clubs

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Stick with CMAS/CFT, its just as recognised and the training (in my opinion) is superior, I have gone from PADI to CMAS. Most of the club that I recently joined are 'crossovers' like myself and more than happy.

We will all occasionally dive in PADI centres both in Ireland and abroad (when I have the cash to go abroad :D ), and many of them are excellently run operations.

I don't want to be perceived as slagging off PADI because there is too much inter agency nonsence.

If you want to train with PADI log on to PADI.com to find your local centre.

HAPPY DIVING!!

Benny-c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'm a CMAS club diver (2 Star) and have dived in various countries around the world and have no problems with my qualifications.If any the club diver is regarded as an expert diver in any of the PADI Dive centres I have dived with.

In Ireland if you want to join a club stick with CMAS.Most clubs in Ireland are CFT driven.

Its up to yourself at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Shivvv

Thanks guys - think I'll stick with my CMAS so.

I'm off to Hurghada tomorrow for a week's diving and doing my first night dives too. :) Can't wait!

I'll post some pics when I get back if I can get the whole camera thing organised.

Th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Shivv I dived Hurghada a couple of years ago with Emperor divers.Top class outfit.

Wish I was there...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

I am a CFT qualified diver.
    A number of my friends are PADI divers.
    When we go to an Irish divecenter, my PADI friends are always asked to show their logbooks, but I neve have to show any form of qualification. I think this proves that even the PADIs realise that CFT is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

"Better" is quite subjective... all I'll say is I've dived abroad quite a bit and never had a problem with my CFT qualifications being recognised

Oh and you can hit 30m quite easily at St. John's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Scania wrote:
    I think this proves that even the PADIs realise that CFT is better.

I think it's these sort of throw away remarks, that are frequently behind the friction.

For the OP, find a group who you're happy with, then worry about what 'system' they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

As others have said, CMAS cards are recognised, and respected, the world over. If you come across a centre that doesn't recognise one, then it's that centre's loss, not yours.

When you get to instructor in CFT (Mon** say) you might need to do an IOC with PADI if you want to instruct abroad. This has nothing to do with standards, more to do with training systems/procedures/material etc., because when it comes to global training PADI is more recognised. Therefore it follows you would need PADI Instructor qualifications to obtain employment.

Now if CFT were to go global .....

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 scuba chick

i really reccomend the club i have joined. it has free membership. it is called dive inn scuba.the people in it are very passionate about diving, and the 2 'leaders' are qualified PADI instructors, so the could give you all the information you need. they have a site, its currently under construction, but does contain various contact details so you could get in touch with them the site is www.diveinnscuba.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement