Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nVidia default fan speed

Options
  • 16-04-2006 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Heya,

I've got a Dell Geforce 6800 in my desktop computer and it's clocked at 325/600 (bloody moderate, aren't they?) as well as having a default (from the bios) fan speed setting of 100% for 2d, low 3d, and performance 3d (over compensating - you should see the size of the CPU heatsink, its about the size of three or four floppy drives stacked together).

The trouble is, it's bloody loud. I can lower the fan speed with rivatuner to pretty much silence it during 2d, and I'm happy with full speed during 3d as I'd be on headphones or speakers when gaming, but I'd like to somehow set the default 2d speed to a lower speed without using rivatuner, using either a registry hack or a vga bios update as I'd prefere to permanently silence it in 2d without additional software.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

What program are you using to determine the fan speed from the bios for 2D/3D ?

[Is it Nibitor as it gives 100% for all values with my 7800GTX and I know that is not the case though it may be a matter of interpretation, maybe Nibitor does not distinguish or cannot at what RPM each stage can run at. So even though it says 100% for all they all run at different RPM's.]

The clock speeds I think are normal enough for a vanilla 6800 which clock in at 325Mhz for the core and 350Mhz (700Mhz effective) for the RAM it seems Dell down clocked the RAM to 300Mhz.

Normal NVIDIA cards have a fan with a variable fan speed it should slow down when you boot into windows so it seems Dell may have programmed it to run full speed which is stupid if it is on full whack all the time.

The only way to change it outside of a third party utility I believe is through a bios flash which will give it new values to run the fan at. MKV Tech have a load of graphics card bios files that you can use see their NVIDIA section, try something from the EVGA or NVIDIA folder as those would be reference card bios's not manufacturer specific just make sure it is the right bios for your card 6800NU (non ultra) AGP or PCI-E and it has the same amount of RAM as yours.

Are Dell using the reference cooler for the GPU if so then a bios flash should undo whatever settings they set.

You could also apply the coolbits hack to the drivers to reveal the hidden panels in NVIDIA's drivers not sure if their is anything there that might help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

I was using RivaTuner, and all fan speed was audibly at 100%. When I tried Nibitor, the card was set to 100% and no performance throttling settings by default.

I've saved a backup vga bios, and flashed a new bios in with 60/85/100 percent fan speeds for 2d/throttle/3d, and the fan dies down to a proper level the moment windows loads the graphics driver (at the end of the windows xp boot splash screen).

The fan speed is now throttled for when I'm initially in 2D, but after running a game it doesn't throttle down sometimes. I'm gonna play with only two 'performance levels' ie 2d and 3d, and see how it goes.

Advertisement