Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this exist?

• 16-04-2006 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

Not a very descriptive title I know but I'm not sure what you could call what I'm looking for.

Basically, I have a Media centre PC connected directly to one tv by a long VGA cable and also on a wireless network with an xbox acting as media centre extender and able to play video files no problem. But their both completely independent of the actual tv we have coming in(an NTL box and a Sky Digibox). I know I can get a tv tuner for my PC and media centre can handle recording tv and such no problem, but the thing is the computer is nowhere near any of these inputs, so I was wondering if there's a box I could get that has a tv input and then broadcasts the signal over the wireless network for the PC to receive and deal with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Is your NTL box digital , if so there is no real way to get your media centre system to record in the sense that say , sky plus can record , thats multiple channels and such, record one channel while watching another etc.

This is because both sky and NTL digital are encrypted and only decode one channel at a time , the best you can get the media centre to do is to record what your watching for time shift purposes , ( pause live tv ).

The is no digital free to air here yet , ( there is in England and Europe but not here ) so even dual satellite tuners in the Media center wont help.

Of course , if the NTL is analog , then just use 75 ohm cable to feed the tuners in your media centre PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

NTL analog and Sky digital.

I'm not that bothered about recording and such, it's simply transmitting whatever is currently being watched over our already exisitng wireless network instead of laying cables.

I got the idea from a kit we got that comes in two halves, a transmitter and receiver, plug a scart cable from the digibox into the transmitter, and from the receiver to the target tv and its meant to act the same as having a really long scart cable basically. Unfortunately the wireless network interferes with it, but I was thinking surely there's equipment you could get that actually uses the network already in place? Through the PC would be particularly handy since thats already linked to multiple screens for playing video files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

andy1249 wrote:
    Is your NTL box digital , if so there is no real way to get your media centre system to record in the sense that say , sky plus can record , thats multiple channels and such, record one channel while watching another etc.

This is because both sky and NTL digital are encrypted and only decode one channel at a time , the best you can get the media centre to do is to record what your watching for time shift purposes , ( pause live tv ).

Thats not true.

You can get media centre to record one NTL digital channel while watching another, or record two at once: all you need to do is pay €5 extra a month to get a second ntl digital box, and of course, have a dual tuner tv card in PC (or two single tuner cards). I have this setup and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Hello Frank ,

Two boxes , how does that make my statement not true !! Most people have only one box , its true if you only have one box :confused:

Advertisement