Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest Broadband provider?

• 16-04-2006 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I'm guessing it is one that doesn't use the telephone line. By browsing through this forum it seems to be NTL? I'm currently using Esat BT, previously had Eircom. Not happy with the speeds, reliability and customer service of either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

well where are you located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Kildare just outside Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Magnet - 24Mb/s for their business product, 8Mb/s if you want to spend less. You can check if you can get it on their site www.magnet.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Throw your details in here and it will tell you the services available in your area. http://broadband.gov.ie

thanks anyway

"Unfortunately we are unable to provide Magnet
    Entertainment services at this time. However, we are
    working hard to continually expand our network."

• Advertisement

Throw your details in here and it will tell you the services available in your area. http://broadband.gov.ie

Thanks thats a great help

Kildare just outside Dublin
    I asked because it really depends on whats close to you.
    Im sitting on 1gbit, like. While friends of mine close by have nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Im sitting on 1gbit, like.

???
    More info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Im sitting on 1gbit, like.

Drools ! Fuzzy May I move in with you ? :D

I never knew there was 1Gb in Ireland! Is it FTTH ? Lucky you I have 44Kbps :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

1Gb per hour maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Maybe the fibre goes under his house on the way to a data centre and just spliced himself in on it ?

netwhizkid wrote:
    Drools ! Fuzzy May I move in with you ? :D
    No.
    I find you extremely annoying online, and would probably kill you or myself if I lived with you.

And to keep this on topic, Magnet 24meg/etc is the best way to go I guess if you need speed. I have my connection in my apartment in college, courtesy of HEAnet. I never get the 1gig though, I ususally only get a couple of hundred megabit. Could be contention, could be my laptop's hard drive being too slow. *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 caos

i got broadband installed for 200. no phone line no rental just 30 euro a
    month unlimited time on air.for more info ring ardmore technolgies ltd.05845900 or info@ardtec.com

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    No.
    I find you extremely annoying online, and would probably kill you or myself if I lived with you.
    You are certainly not the only one with those feelings towards netwhizkid.
    And to keep this on topic, Magnet 24meg/etc is the best way to go I guess if you need speed. I have my connection in my apartment in college, courtesy of HEAnet. I never get the 1gig though, I ususally only get a couple of hundred megabit. Could be contention, could be my laptop's hard drive being too slow. *shrug*
    Not sure about your college but in UL we havea couple of thousand student living on villages within the campus and each gets a slice of the college connection.
    As I never lived on campus I cant tell you how fast a connection they have, but its probable structured on a village by village baisis, similar to the departments.
    In the ECE department I was able to download at a max of ~4MegaBytes/s and upload at ~2MegaBytes/s.
    This stops one area totially sucking up all the bandwidth of the college and is the best solution imho.

Where have you been to test your speed at a couple of hundred megabit anyway?

Back on topic
    I would guess NTL have the bestnetwork capable of high future speeds as DSL is limited to 24m/1m and this wont change until a substancial rethink of the telco industry has taken place.
    But cable companies the world over have serious problems with the 16:00-22:00 timeslot and speeds drop away to mabye half normal. DSL normially wont incur such problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭johncorleone

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    No.

HEAnet rate limit the connection to your university at a lot less than 1Gb/s. The current maximum any university in the country has is 250 Mb/s (UCD). (See www.hea.net for details.)

Thats a really good analysis page for heanet!
    Place your cursor over the college and you'll get its stats over a 24 hour period.

NUIG appears to have a 1Gbit connection but is using far less than either UL(190Mbit) or UCD(250Mbit).
    I still want to see proof FuzzyLogic of your couple of hundred megabit real world connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I'm in UCD and the fastest I've seen is 5.36MB/s constant from HEAnet dowmloading a Linux iso...

That's 42Mbit and I don't know anyone else who's seen much over that....

Also many HDD's can only write around 100Mb/s so that could be part of the problem.

My experiences have been with CIT and UL.

While in CIT I got ~3.5MBytes/s from HEAnet while downloading a Linux distro.
    Will try a Linux download from UL's ECE department tomorrow....but each deapartment have an isolated connection to the others and If I get the same what i got in CIT I would be surprised.

Modern HDD's can transfer 30-40 MBytes/s constant so the bottleneck is the standard 100Mbit NIC instaled on all of the college computers I have access to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No... The interface can transfer 30Mbyte/s but unless you have RAID Stripe or Stripe + Parity or 15,000 rpm drives the disk streaming speed is 5MByte to 12Mbyte depending on distance to edge. (for sequential non random access. It can easy fall to 500k byte /s on a peer to peer network with two users or a single user doing two tasks due to average head postioning time and disk rotation latency).

Thats about 40Mbits/s to 96Mbits/s

Laptops often slower as they use 5400rpm disks.

My server has 5 x 10,000 RPM SCSI disks so can run the NIC flatout, as they are stripe + parity. It can do this pretty much with four or five users too. (P200 MHZ!)

I'm in UCD and the fastest I've seen is 5.36MB/s constant from HEAnet dowmloading a Linux iso...

That's 42Mbit and I don't know anyone else who's seen much over that....

Also many HDD's can only write around 100Mb/s so that could be part of the problem.

5.36MBytes/s is only a little below average transfer speed for the local hard disk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

What sort of connection you are using between the modem and the PC would have an effect too. Or is that the way its set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

watty wrote:
    No... The interface can transfer 30Mbyte/s but unless you have RAID Stripe or Stripe + Parity or 15,000 rpm drives the disk streaming speed is 5MByte to 12Mbyte depending on distance to edge......

No way. I have no idea why you'd think it's so slow... I just copied a file between two of my hard drives and got 35 MB/s average transfer speed. Separate physical drives on seperate SATA cables. Neither of them have even been defragged in about a month.

The interface (SATA) is either 1.5 Gbitps or 3.0 Gbitps aswell, far more than 30 MBytes. Even standard IDE is much faster than 30 Mbytes/s.

I've seen data flying off my hard drive at over 40 MBytes a second at lans, thru a GigE connection. Sounds like you're talking about the standard hard drive transfer speeds from P200 days :P;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yeah, reached speeds of about 60mbps copying between 2 hard drives as well. There is a huge limitation with laptop hard drives, as well copying directly on to the same hard drive.

Those are peak interface speeds. I'll grant that a modern SATA drive or AV drive for a PVR may do sustained speed of 12MBytes/s (96Mbps) to 30MBytes/s (240Mbps), but only single tasking and with unfragmented space. Look at track to track head time and rotational latency, and you will see what I mean.

This is a large part of why servers and voice mail systems etc use arrays (Stripe + parity as stripe alone is two risky). With 5 drive array, 3 or 4 drives can be positioning while one or two is streaming, allowing more than one file task and transfer rate slightly better than peak of a single IDE or SATA. With mutiple file transfers or fragmented disk the data rate can fall below 1/10th to 1/20th the peak for a single disk, even 15,000 RPM SCSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭johncorleone

zuma wrote:
    Thats a really good analysis page for heanet!
    Place your cursor over the college and you'll get its stats over a 24 hour period.

NUIG appears to have a 1Gbit connection but is using far less than either UL(190Mbit) or UCD(250Mbit).

The NUIG figure is incorrect. The 1Gb/s only refers to the local interface speed. The connection is rate limited to well below 1Gb.

Advertisement