Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical guitar

Options
  • 16-04-2006 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone want to give getting a classical guitar quartet or trio together a go? I'm not fussed about what we play necessarily but it would be nice if people would be interested in putting together some original work. Playing ability is not that big a concern, reading would be an advantage but not essential by any means. I'd just like to get something together and see where it goes. I can meet up for practise in the City Centre during the week or in Rathfarnham. I don't really mind what age people are, I'm 19 by the way.

Cheers.

Mod - I know this should probably go in Musicians and Bands but it's not like this forum is swamped by threads already. I reckon it wouldsink way too fast in Musicians and Bands bt would probably get more responses here. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Hey,

Just posting to show interest, doing grade 5 this year, though not advanced in any sense of the word. It would be fun to have some people to play with I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Never occured to me that you do grades in guitar. But of course obviously you must. Where are you doing that, what sort of material do you work through?

Not to get off topic :) but material wise, what you'd normally do in any graded exam.
    Grades 3 and 4 were done with Trinity London - 3 Pieces, a number of scales, general technique (legado etc.) a few chords, ear tests and sight reading.
    This year my teacher has switched to a Leinster music college (I think that's it), so no more chords, or general technique, but still good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Hey,

Just posting to show interest, doing grade 5 this year, though not advanced in any sense of the word. It would be fun to have some people to play with I think.

Thanks, that's really the idea; playing in a group for enjoyment and maybe taking it further if it makes sense too. Could even be a source of income too.

In a couple of weeks time I reckon we could get something going. There must be more guitarists interested in classical on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

what piecies you have in mind?
    leo browuer and modern stuff or sor type stuff or a big mix
    I'd love to do some of my own piecies but their not written down...

• Advertisement

I must mention I'm 17, living in D15 and my only transport into town is by bus.
    I'll play just about anything, but I haven't done a whole lot, mainly stuck to my exam pieces over the 2 1/2 years I'm playing - just haven't felt comfortable with anything else.

A mix of stuff would be great. Baroque, Romantic, Modern, all good. I'm open to all suggestions. I'd like to do originals too.

I've got a few exams coming up but I think I should still be able to get some free time to meet or whatever before then... probably town.

Anyway, if you both (or anyone) would like to try something just suggest a piece, a trio say. And when we've all gotten used to it, we can meet up and give it a try. Maybe meet up every week or so with a new piece? Could be very good.

I dunno about meet up every week with a new piece, it often takes me awhile to get the hang of one. I'd be interested in looking over a piece though and take it from there.

Absolutely, some things can take a while. You'd be surprised how quick you learn things when playing with others thouygh, learn pieces I mean.

Good to see that there's interest though.

There is some really good music for guitar trio out there. I heard a pretty good version of "Joy of Man's Desire" by Bach. That'd be a good starting point maybe. There is a good bit of interaction between the parts, and rythmically it's not too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

would you be looking for a violin by any chance?

• Advertisement

Personally, I'd really like to do some violin/guitar duets if you are interested. I'm free from the 11th of June but could meet up before then if needed. It would be great if we could earn a few bucks by doing it too.

Would that interest you?

There are plenty of guitar/violin duets written, as well as guitar/flute ones that could easily be adapted.

Let me know

Ye id be interested im on grade 8 violin well 7 but im doing the exam on monday. ye i would love to try it out, you in dublin? i may have a good gig comming up for the summer in a resteraunt if we are lucky. i play in a quartet kinda aswell but we only had one gig. Got money for it. I also have a fair idea of the rates of pay. what kinda guitar violin duets? example? gypsy is good.:P

You are probably a lot better than I am by the sounds of things. Gypsy music is really good, but it's one of those styles for guitar that to sound convincing you need to be pretty used to paying it. I don't play that type of muci. I'd give it a try though. I was thinking Baroque/Renaissance stuff but I'm open to other things, maybe Irish folk music/trad. Will I pick a duet and send you the notation?

ye pic a duet. im open to. i dont play gypsy but it sounds good like violin and guitar. what standard you at? ye ill play anything.

I haven't set any exams so grade wise I wouldn't be sure. I have played a few grade 6 pieces and they were ok though. There are certain things I'm quite good at, and others I'd like to improve. I play electric too so I'm not a fully classical dedicated player. I can handle most stuff with a little time, especially the sort of thing that comes up in duets. Solo guitar is actually quite difficult in standard tuning. The only guage I have of my "ability" is an A in Leaving Cert music... but that's not saying much really.

I'll PM or post a duet in a bit. See you later.

no problem you sound good anyway. talk to ya soon.

I should be able to find something in my Uinversity's sheet music archive/library. I'll let you know when I do, possibly tomorrow, if I get my request in early enough.

cool where you studying?

Trinity

cool you doing music?

• Advertisement

I'm doing English and Art History. I got a duet today by Ottavio Negro. I had not heard of him so I didn't know what to expect. It looks a bit wacky from the score. Not really straightforward by any means. I really think I'd need to hear it to get it right. It doesn't look especially tuneful. I'll let you know what the story is with it in a day or two. I'll try and get something in the mean time.

ok no problem

Just popping in to say I'm still interested in this... would like to take a look over any song ideas you guys have.

ask husseinsarhan. where in d15 u from? im in d15 too

Hi all,

This piece I have is not really going to work, certainly not as something to get us going. I cam accross a few pieces for two guitars and violin believe it or not so that could be an option too. I'm a bit busy these days as my final exams arebegining this coming week. There are a lot more readily available tunes for flute and guitar than violin and guitar. I can't imagine it being that difficult to play flute parts on a violin given the tuning and range. Would that be all right? Alternatively, I might just spend a bit of time and voice/simplify some famous orchestral theme for guitar duet and violin. Plenty of scope with that setup and it should not prove overly difficult. I'll let you both know what the séal is at the weekend probably.

Later.

ok no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 diamop

hi would you be interested in including an electric bass in any of this? i arranged a few piano pieces for the bass and guitar but my friends aren't really interested in playing them and i'd really like to play this kind of music with other people who enjoy it. For example a baroque piece written for quartet would sound quite interesting played on a violin, two guitars and a bass, but I'd like to hear what yous think anyway.

im not organising this so no comment, would be different maybe a bit weird.

I haven't forgotten about this it's just that I'm really busy at the moment, and will for about a week or so. I'll post up again then.

EDIT* I'm finding it hard enough to get a hold of any violin/guitar duets but have found, naturally, a lot for guitar duo. I have copies of some simple duets that would be good to begin with. Nothing challenging really, nearly sight-readable straight off, but still a good place to begin. Diamop - your ideas sound interesting but initially I'd justlike to play with other guitarists or maybe with violin as that is workable quite easily as a combination and has quite a lot of scope. Cheers for posting anyway. I'm nearly certai nsomeone else would want to pick you up on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 diamop

sound man dont worry about it, good luck!

Advertisement