Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Game Was This?

Options
  • 16-04-2006 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I remember it must have been about 6 years ago at this stage, I had a Demo of a Need For Speed game which I loved. There was only the one track but it was great fun. There were police driving around (not waiting) and if you approached them too fast, they would give chase and they could start chasing the other car too I think.

I had Need For Speed, Hot Pursuit 2 on the Gamecube but the one I had a demo for on the PC had better police chases I think and this is the part I loved about the game.

Does anyone know what one it may have been? Is there a newer one available now with the same quality chases does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It may have been the first Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit or Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed which were both released around that time, were both very good games, and both involved police chases although I can't remember too many specifics.

If you were driving a Porsche or not would be a dead give away :) Also, I believe the Porsche game had damage modelling whereas NFS 3 didn't, not too sure.

All of the Need for Speed games up until Underground were very good arcade racers(there was an exception on PS1, posssibly NFS2, was killed by slowdown), the last few years have been poor, but the most recent release, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, is probably the best NFS game yet, with by far the most emphasis on police chases. I'd definitely recommend you check it out.

I might have some details wrong but thats as best I can remember, NFS:MW is definitely worth a look though.

Its 3 for sure just checked as i have it for PC :)

Its in the cheapo 3.99 range if you can find it online as i doubt many shops have a selection to choose from thats more than 2 titles.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the help. It may have been NFS HP3... why did 2 on the GC come out about 4 years later though??

I don't think it was a porsche... although I definitely remember playing a NFS game with porsches and you got a better model as the game went on. But I don't think a Demo would have had that much for me to know all that so I don't think it was that:confused:

Do you reckon NFS MW is the best of the lot in regards police chases? I didn't really like the chases in NFS HP2 on the GC, they weren't half as good as the Demo one which was a real disappointment.. There was one major difference in the two in the way they started chasing you and the way they chased you I think.

Kdjac, your 2nd link leads to an empty search:confused:

By the way, I'm much more of an arcade type gamer, I don't like to "commit" to games, I much prefer games I can just sit down and get my fix for 10 mins and leave aside for a few weeks without thinking "I have to get the last heart" or whatever like in Zelda. So whichever was the more aracadey. I definitely remember playing a porsche related NFS though.

Why do you reckon it's deffo 3 and not porsche KD?

• Advertisement

The names kinda backwards cos it went like this:
    NFS
    NFS 2
    NFS 3: Hot Pursuit
    NFS: Hot Pursuit 2

Along with a couple of other games in between.

Here's a demo of Most Wanted:
    http://www.gamedaily.com/download/info/?packageid=0078700683

It has very, very good police chases in my opinion, I'd put it above Grand Theft Auto. Best way to decide is to try yourself :)

3 is the best MW kinda goes back to it but still relies on thepimp yo ride type **** that ruins the series.
    My punto can beat a porsche type thing.

Theres 6 previous to underground series they are the best with MW kinda getting back to its roots, still anooying that you cant shunt the police into the many walls for a dead stop they just get picked up by dinky god and turned 360 without moving.

kdjac

Some more things are coming back to me... I think you could damage the police cars, I don't think you could do this in NFS HP2 on the GC? Also... I'm not sure if this is correct, but there may not have been laps, it may have just been one straight run, again, this could be just my imagination! I know for sure on the GC one there were laps!

Thanks for the link to the demo, is there any where I could see a trailer first of a police chase that you know of though? I don't like installing excess baggage on the pc if I'm going to go and get the full game later, or maybe even NFS 3 from way back:)

This is weird, I definitely remember playing the porsche one, was it on the N64 perhaps??

I just had a look at some screenshots of it though and the cars on the radar did not have car shapes in the one I'm thinking of. If the car was black, it had a black dot and the cops had a blue and red dot I think. Also there was a cop car in one of the screen shots and I don't think they looked like that.

I'm pretty sure they were like the cop cars in the NFS 3 screenshots!

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sr&page=title&r=PC&title=125702

LOL bummer i get like 2384762374862396 FPS in it.

I have it here if you cant find it.

kdjac

• Advertisement

2384762374862396 FPS

Sorry, what does that mean:o

I might take you up on that offer, thanks!

It means its that old it runs at about that many frames per second.

Usual send me an SAE and i post it.

kdjac

I owned both games but to be honest my memory of either is fairly fuzzy, I've played a lot of racing games!

What I do know is that the Porsche one had damage modelling and was based in European locations, through forests and towns and the Autobahn and the like. NFS 3: HP was much more American and had many many supercars(the Porsche one had nothing but Porsches, fast and slow, dating from the 50s to today)

In terms of gameplay they were both pretty similar. All the Porsche tracks were point to point and NFS 3 had both circuits and point to point I think.

Go to video.google.com and search for need for speed, there's lots of footage of NFS:MW out there.

Thanks for all the help lads. Will PM you about that KD!

I suppose I'll just have to play it to find out. Unless youtube or google has some footage of either?

I'm just trying to picture where I played the porsche one. Was it not called Porsche Challenge? Or was that something else?

Just got a NFS3 demo and tried to setup but it returned an error saying it only works on W95 and W98:confused:

Does this mean the full game will have the same problem I wonder? Is there any way around this??

I watched a few most wanted clips, nice graphics and all, but I'm not sure if it's the same game play that I like with NFS3!??

The sold out range works on XP.

kdjac

You mean the one you linked to on Play? It doesn't say anything about XP on the Link:confused:

Does the one you have work on XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Give Game on Dawson Street a go. They have almost a whole wall full of Sold Out titles at the moment for next to nothing so you could have luck there. They're not all compatible with XP so may be best to check out the box before buying. I know that there are a couple that won't work with anything above ME eg. Theme Park World.

Got to play NFS3 anyway, I don't think it's as good as I remember:o

Got a demo of Most Wanted which is pretty good. Still nothing like Pro Evo though ;)

All Sold out titles are XP compatible says on the box :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

Theme Park World isn't. Go into any Game shop and check out the back of the box. I was really surprised too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

LadyLotts wrote:
    Theme Park World isn't. Go into any Game shop and check out the back of the box. I was really surprised too.
    The requirements do specify Windows 95/98/Me alright, but it will work on XP with some patching. From http://www.sold-out.co.uk/soldout/support/themeparkworld.html:
    Q. Does Theme Park World work in Windows XP?

A. It does, but on certain XP systems, the game crashes to desktop without any error message. To fix this problem...

Oooh. Excellent. Will have to try that out. Cheers for the info!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Need for speed franchise is as follows,

Road and Track presents Need For Speed, 3DO original the best, incredible in its day, still good now, a direct update of the Test Drive series on the Amiga.

Need For Speed 2, this sucked like no game has sucked before, very disappointing.

Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit, awesome looking and playing game, only a lack of analog support hurt it, that and the near simultaneous launch of Gran Turismo did it no favours.

Need For Speed 4 Road Challenge, the best of the series on the PS1, lovely tracks, lovelier cars, crash damage deformed the cars as the race progressed while GT and GT2 had you biunce impotently of of barriers and other autos. And amazing game on the PS1 but must be played on the PC.

Need For Speed Porsche Challenge, not bad but not great on the PS1, much much better on the PC, should have come out on the PS2, would have fared much better.

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, really really good on the PS2, I still play it today, really really sucked on the XBox and Gamecube, the PS2 edition was made by the original team, EA Canada, the other two were farmed out and were like a different and inferior copy, one can only imagine how much better they may have been had they been left to the proper developer.

Need For Speed Underground/2, sorry never liked these, like a new franchise with the Need For Speed moniker stuck on, like the Vrally games in America, they were rebranded Need For Speed too.

Need For Speed Most wanted, brilliant, playing it on the 360 and feel it is a real return to form although imagine Test Drive Unlimited will be a genuine return to what the 3DO original was all about, driving beautiful cars on roads winding through beautiful landscapes, as much about the pleasure of driving as about winning races.

To answer the original question the game was Need For Speed 4 Road Challenge, it was released in that timeframe and on the PC would have blown your socks off.

Thanks for the reply, I got NFS3 and I'm pretty sure that's the one though? Although I'm not entirely sure... what makes you think it's NFS4?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, perhaps so, they had some similarities although the next one is far far better. Also you say you played the demo 6 years ago, this is the time when the 4th game was launched, the 3rd one came out in 98.
    I am probably the series biggest fan, owning copies of them all, bar the underground games, on PS, PS2 and now 360, not to mention my precious copy of the 3DO edition from 94, thats still sweet!

Advertisement