Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mandriva, no Interface

• 16-04-2006 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hey all, i just installed Mandriva Mini on my laptop, and had an almost successful install. Boot loaders ect all working fine, but when i go into linux, its the command promt and there is no interface,

This is the error ive been getting

execve failed for /ect/X11/X (errno 2)

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

~ Idgeitman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Try taking a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Should give some idea.
    Also ensure X-components installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

Im fairly new to all this, once in the command prompt, do i just type it straight in, then hit enter?
    Ive been looking around, and some people seem to have had this problem and it all relates back to XFdrake config, any ideas how i can access that?

Thanks

~ idgeit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Not too familiar with mandrake mini - do you have any other options on the boot menu - ?

And do you get this error

execve failed for /ect/X11/X (errno 2)

immdeiately after typing in

startx

When you were doing the install did it hit any probs along the way ? were you asked to test your x config before confirming ?

Ive been fiddeling around, and error has changed. all looks good when loading, then it goes to

"Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a""
    No Device Detected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

What graphics hardware is in the laptop (eg. nVidia geforce go 7800, ATI Mobility RADEON 7500, something else)?

It seems your graphics hardware was not detected correctly during installation so X won't start. There is an option in the installer to configure and test it (Graphical Interface - Configure) in the summary screen but it's kinda easy to overlook if you're installing for the first time.
    32.jpg

That's from http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_mandriva_2006 if you need a walkthrough of the installer.

• Advertisement

its a Dell Inspiron 2200, I dont have any fancy graphics card, just use the built in one. Intel 915.

Ive tryed most of the dell/Intell drivers that came with Mandriva but still no joy, I managed to get a hold of some new drivers for the 915GM. But im kind of lost on how to install them!

Thanks for all your help

~ Idgeitman

At the command prompt, log in as root and type mcc
    Go to Display (hit tab to get to OK) and press enter.
    Your current settings are displayed and your current X graphics driver should be highlighted. Hit tab twice to get to Do and press enter.
    Scroll to Intel, press enter to open the tree and select 915 (if you have any problems opening the Intel tree, first close the tree that is currently open), tab to get to Ok and press enter.
    You should now be able to enter the command startx and hopefully KDE will launch (and subsequent boots will automatically launch KDE if you accepted the installer defaults).

If you have problems with that Intel 915 driver, repeat above procedure but instead select Other - VESA driver (generic) which should work though not optimal, and post again requesting assistance with the driver you downloaded (you'll need to download and install GCC and kernel-source from the repositories before you can install that).

hey i tryed that and no luck, i got stopped at the first step

Login: root
    Password: *********
    [root@localhost ~]# mcc
    -bash: MCC: command not found

hmm

~ idgeitman

Are you sure you typed it in lower case? Case is important.
    mcc

• Advertisement

Hey, seemed to be an error with the install, so i upgraded to the latest edition, 2006.

Only one problem now, once i boot into linux, it gives me a screen, i log in, then once the login is complete, it gives me a blue screen, and a clock in the top left corner, and nothing else. lol any ideas?

thanks for all the help!

- Idgeit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Idgeitman wrote:
    its the command promt and there is no interface
    The pedant in me wants to teach you what an interface is.

Problem soved

Thanks for all the help!

- Idgeitman

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

Hehe, if poor old Kevin F was reading this he would kick your ass man! I well persume you have this installed now!!!! and the knew (KDE) compiz fusion desktop in 2008 kicks serious ass!

Advertisement