Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which keeper has done the best Mark II?

• 16-04-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Same question again :/

----

Last season's perennial problem for Arsenal, United, and Liverpool were their keepers. slip ups and mishaps resulted in lots of dropped points, sometimes not (Spurs and Carroll :))

Which keeper has done the best?

Arsenal - Lehmann has been re-born
    Liverpool - Most clean sheets
    Man Utd - Been united's MOM many times

Which Keeper? 61 votes

Lehmann
    0%
    Reina
    39%
    PHBDont be at yourselfMossy MonkPepe LeFritsMarkGangstajankGrimlockBig EarsPacificoKingp35ErinGoBrath_blank_arbeitsscheuerGileadiRoddy23Necronomicon~Rebel~TonyD79Lemlin 24 votes
    Van Der Saar
    37%
    Thanx 4 The FishJohnny_the_foxsuper_furryDcullymada999jesus_thats_grep.peteSajanRE*AC*TORDavey DevilShaque attackJivin Turkeycruiserweightel rabitosChardee MacDennismicksOTliddyemc2futuredeathDavei141 23 votes
    None of them
    22%
    ButcherOfNogcournioniLafortezzaThe_B_ManIagobestybishopLENandrewieKinetic^homerjay2005GarretRikandNalzBFassassin 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

The blackburn keeper has been great this season, consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

None of them
    yes, but hes not in the list, so we cant pick him :)

of the 3 mentioned ::

Van Der Saar would be my pick for sure....Liverpool have a solid defensive base in front of Reina....Van Der Sar had Rio Ferdinand, Mikael Silvestre, John O'Shea,etc in front of his goal....so in fairness he has done much better imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Reina
    Lehmann for me has been the best over the whole of the season. Others in the Premiership I feel could also do with a brief mention:

Schwarzer = its no coincidence that once he came back into the team, the team started to win a few more games.
    Friedel = an excellent keeper, who on his day can frustrate even the most gifted attacks
    Given = consistently in the top 3 keepers in England.
    Cech = an excellent young keeper, who will have many years as a top keeper in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Van Der Saar
    easy choice, reina. he's been breaking records all year. i think he broke ray clemence's one today.

i just think lemon, reina, given, robinson and friedel have been the top keepers this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Van Der Saar
    32 clean sheets in his first 50 games for the club, clemence had 29 i think thats it anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

None of them
    Van Der Saar, UTD over the last number of years were comedy keeper slipup central, hes made a big difference to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Van Der Saar
    had to pick reina as the level of consistency has been phonomenal, something we have been lacking over the last few years. not much between the three mentioned though, lehmann has improved immensly this season and has made some fantastic saves and van der saar has been one of the best keepers in the premiership for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Reina
    I chose Lehmann. He's made a big difference to Arsenal and you have to take into account how well he's done without their first choice back four in front of him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reina
    Lehmann is my (Arsenal) player of the season so far so my vote goes to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Van Der Saar
    Of the 3 I think Reina has the most solid defence in front of him. Lehman has done well despite injuries to key defenders and Van Der Saar has made a massive difference to united.

I'll go for Reina because:
    a) I'm biased
    b) Lots of clean sheets
    c) Debut season in a new league and managaing to break loads of records
    d) Allows the liverpool defence to sit further forward so the hole team benefits as a result
    e) Did I mention I'm biased?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Reina
    Lehman for me. he has been solid especially when it was needed most. big turnaround from last season

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Reina
    I dont think Reina is that special a goalkeeper. He flaps at some crosses and never looks too convincing. He has has the terrific defence behind him that gives away very few chances and thats the reason he has broken the record imo.

Ill have to give it to Lehman, he has been terrific all season and definitely the best out of those three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Van Der Saar
    Kingp35 wrote:
    I dont think Reina is that special a goalkeeper. He flaps at some crosses and never looks too convincing. He has has the terrific defence behind him that gives away very few chances and thats the reason he has broken the record imo.
    I think he'd deserve player of the season if the defence was behind him :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Van Der Saar
    Reina by a long way,cant believe some are even mentioning van der sar.
    Breaking ray clemence records is good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Reina
    Can't be too critical of a 'keeper who has 32 clean sheets but I agree with Kingp35, Reina has looked prone to the odd error. The Birmingham game springs to mind. That's not to say he hasn't done brilliantly though.

Van Der Sar, he's been great. Finally, some consistency behind the defence. He has made 2 mistakes against that I can think of, against 'Boro and Birmingham, other than that he's been fantastic.

Lehmann gets my vote however, as he has come on leaps and bounds from last season. He always looked prone to a mistake last season, lost his place to Manuel Almunia, but this season he has improved a lot. The only thing that'll never change is his personality, he's still likely to get into a scuffle here and there (like Bolton at Highbury this year) but he hasn't been involved in much controversy this season. To top it off, he's been named Germany's no.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

None of them
    Edwin van der Saar.

He has really added a great stability to the United defence. Probably given us 5 or 6 extra points on his own this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Van Der Saar
    Can't be too critical of a 'keeper who has 32 clean sheets but I agree with Kingp35, Reina has looked prone to the odd error. The Birmingham game springs to mind. That's not to say he hasn't done brilliantly though.

I think the fact that he didnt crumble mentally after that error early in the season would be a plus, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Van Der Saar
    Name one keeper who has made nio mistakes all season then. There's a challenge, every player in the league will have made a mistake at some stage and keepers are no different. That many clean sheets in his first season is testament to both him and the defence that he marshalls. Surely running a defence is part of the job of the keeper too regardless of how poor that defence is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Van Der Saar
    i dont mean to disscredit some of van der sars performances this year, ive been a fan of him since he was at ajax, but i just think reina has been in a league of his own this year. so many clean sheets in his first season and breaking so many long standing records from a time when liverpool domintated is a testimant to how well he has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Van Der Saar
    I'm going to go with Reina. And I don't think it's just down to bias. In a new country he has fit right in and done incredibly. The defence has been so improved because the players are more comfortable with him there and he helps organise them. I can only think of the one error that has cost the team and I have huge confidence whenever balls are crossed into the box.

Reina just shades it from Lehmann, who has improved so much over the last eighteen months or so. He has been immense for Arsenal this year, reflected in the amount of goals conceeded despite chronic injury problems.

Van Der Sar has done well and has been key for United at times but it's not like he has really upped his level of performances from those at Fulham. Hence I don't think he really could really challenge the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

for me the best keeper in england this season by a long way is Shay Given, not being biased, it's just a stone cold fact that without him newcastle would probably have been relegated, instead they have a chance to finish in the top 7, thats some differaincew to make for a team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Reina
    Seaneh wrote:
    it's just a stone cold fact that without him newcastle would probably have been relegated

Yes, that's a stone cold fact.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reina
    Yes, that's a stone cold fact.
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Scott Carson.....legend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Reina
    typical biased liverpool supporters!!! the reason he has only conceded so few goals is the defence he never has to make any vital saves. If he really was the best then it would mean his defence was a bit dodgy at times and he would have came to their rescue at vital periods of matches like schemical did for Manu . While Van dar Sar has been brilliant for Manu I would Have to go for Lehman.. His performances since the FA Cup Final( single handily kept out Manu-no defence in front of him) have been consistently brilliant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Van Der Saar
    typical biased liverpool supporters!!!
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Van Der Saar
    Dudek had the same defence in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Reina
    Davei141 wrote:
    Dudek had the same defence in front of him.

I think that proves more about Dudek than Reina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,060 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Reina
    Its not really a case of biased Liverpool supporters. Do you think if this same poll was done last year that pool fans would vote for Dudek? Fat chance! Its entirely on merit.

Fair enough, he has a great defence in front of him, but over 32 clean sheet games of a season no defence holds off that much, obviously he's been called into some outstanding, important saves.

Where Reina is great is in actually stopping some of these saves needing to be made. His communication with the back 4 is fantastic and his positioning and decision making when he comes out of goal is also very very good, he regularly stops a 1 on 1 situation by beating the striker to the ball. The area where he really stands out to be the best is in his attacking play though, his quick distribution being the cause of a fair few goals this season. Also so very young and will improve even more!

Having said all this, i would actually go for Lehmann i think as he's been immense this year, a totally different player to last year and the one keeper i cant really think of any bad errors for. Has made some outstanding saves this season and all this with a constantly rotated back 4 in turmoil in front of him.

So for me its Lehmann 1st, Reina a very close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

None of them
    van der sar for me he has changed man utd since he has came the best keeper we have had since schmeichel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

BFassassin wrote:
    van der sar for me he has changed man utd since he has came the best keeper we have had since schmeichel

How excactly? I would be interest to compare this seasons goals against record against last years. United havent improved hugely since last season. Hes been very good, but not the best of the lot.

Arsenal have been poor this season. But there has been plenty of matches Lehman has kept Arsenal in. The only question mark i have over him is mentally. He often does some very stupid things, and gets involved in things he shouldnt.

Advertisement