Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire Problems

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just email them cancelling the contract. I read through the terms and conditionds yesterday and I believe it says an email to the correct address constitutes written notice...of course gettign the correct email is impossible I would imagine.

I dont think they will cause a fuss to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

homeOwner wrote:
    I just got clearwire on tuesday. I called clearwire yesterday to ask about the download times as I noticed they were nothing like what is advertised and someone took my number and said all the reps were busy and they would call me back. Its been over 24 hours and no one called so I called them again just now. Again was put through to someone who said all the reps were busy and they would take my number etc.... and I told them that someone already did that yesterday and no one has called and this guy just kept saying....thats all we can do, maybe you can try and call back later when its not so busy, and I kept saying that is what I am doing now....I'm calling back from yesterday. Turns out they dont work on the weekend so Monday is the earliest he said someone will call me back. My cooling off period ends on Tuesday.

I can see where this is going.

I think I am going to drop their modem back with a letter terminating my contract on Monday night.

Does anyone know where they are and what times they are open at? I bet you if I just pop it into their letter box (if they even have one) they will say they didnt get it back if I dont actually post it to them. Since it is going to take longer than 2 days to post it it will not get there in time......

I have a feeling this is going to be difficult.

As far as I know, they are open Saturday's too, but only a handful of support staff.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

homeOwner, it sounds like you got through to the overflow centre, which being honest is a joke at the best of times. If it rings more than 4 times, its more than likely going to the overflow centre. I had to ring about 10 times in one day to get talking to someone. You could always trying ringing the sales number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Tweaking things on a production network?
    It just goes to show how incompetent and unprofessional Clearwire are that they test things on a live network! They should test their port blocking...sorry, traffic shaping..on a test vlan before inflicting it on customers.

My sentiments exactly. My connection is now "functioning" again, after 6 days of their screwing around and tweaking their network to fit more suckers on!!

As for customer support, what a joke. I got the exact same thing. Called them about 25 times in the last 4 days. I got through to the Dublin office twice out of that, where I spoke to two agents who hadn't a clue what I was talking about and said that they'd have to get someone to call me back. Nobody ever did of course.
    I also got through to the UK overflow call centre, where I was asked what company was I calling about, and then told OK, we'll have someone call you back from our Dublin office. Again, nobody called back. In total, out of 15-20 calls where I actually spoke to someone (It got to the stage that if someone answered, I asked "Is this the UK call centre I'm through to". If they answered yes, then I said "Thanks you, goodbye", and hung up.). Seriously frustrating ****e!!
    Out of interest, I then called the sales number advertised on their website (1800 882 333), and surprise, surprise, the phone was answered within 5-10 seconds. I spoke to the sales agent, who told me........ Guess what.......... I'll have to get someone to call you back.........!!!

Overall, as I said before and keep saying, ClearWire Ireland have to be the worst possible ISP ever. IBB copped a lot of stick on here over the past few months, but man oh man, ClearWire make IBB look like the most capable company ever!

STAY AWAY FROM CLEARWIRE!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Just a note to the guy who said he was going to drop the modem into their offices - if I were you i'd post it and send it signed-for, so you can prove you returned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

I've been free from clearwire now 2 months. Don't put up with them, really just don't!

You'll just waste your own time and your money calling them. Things will _NEVER_ get better with clearwire. That's from experience. They'll tell you one thing but do the other.

I had 5 months of 'issues' with VOIP and Gaming on there 'network' starting from October. I was told an engineer was working on my problems as I was a 'valued customer'. That engineer gave me a call back in January, told me all was well and I shouldn't have any issues. Of course that could be further from the truth.

Do yourselves a huge favour and drop these clowns ASAP.

About dropping them. This is the best way to do it.

Contact your bank ASAP and cancel the direct debit. Instruct your bank via a) your bank manager or b) a written letter to the accounts department that Clearwire Ireland are to never withdraw a cent from your account! Inform your bank that they are selling a fraudulent and defective product and as such you are ceasing _ALL_ contact with that company.

Leave that a day or two. Trust me, they won't contact you. Then ring there accounts department. Inform them that you have cancelled the direct debit over there breach of contract. *They are _NOT_ living up to the minimum service promised in there advertising*.

The accounts department should give you a cancellation reference code and free post number. Write up a very well argued letter about how they have fracked you over and how crap the service has been referencing the above cancellation number and return with modem to there accounts department.

Also if you want to be extra nasty (like I was) warn of legal issues if they a) try to touch your bank account or b) request a cancellation fee for the service.

Tell them that in both person (to the accounts department) and in the letter.

I haven't heard from clearwire in two months. Though I was tempted to do some sort of bodily harm to there sales reps showing it off in rathmines shopping centre a while back. I would have been happy to just kick the modem up the hall. But then I thought of nice DSL speeds at home and went home to enjoy a 3 mb service :D

later and good luck!!! :D

I was tempted to do some sort of bodily harm to there sales reps showing it off in rathmines shopping centre a while back.

Whilst I agree with you, I dont think punishing their employees would be a fair thing to do. At the end of the day, somebody has to work for them! Overall I found the sales lads great, the customer care and general attitude of the company was crap though. I think the sales lads are just being told what to do.

Ack I only pondered it... TBH though sales guys will always pretend to be your best friend and will come across sound. It's part of their job. They're the companies footsoldiers. Sent out to avoid tough questions and talk up a flawed service. I'm not very trusting of Sales reps... :D

Well thats true! :rolleyes:
    In fairness though, they do seem genuine. Theyre not as bad as customer care! At least they are out to you when they say they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimbowalsh

Deconstruct. Cheers for the advice on canceling CW. Who's your ISP now?

• Advertisement

Esat/BT... much better deal there... at least it works! though there billing department would be dangerous if they put there minds to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

I think I shall cancel DD tomorrow. To add insult to pi$$ taking they sent me the Invoice for June today, 6 weeks ahead of due date. €50 per month is a touch expensive for a 190k connection:rolleyes:

Im at the stage now where Id rather be without BB than carry on with this crowd. How they expect to do buisness with this mindset is beyod me. They must rely on a lot of suckers not realising what a vastly poor 'service' they are offering.

The sooner they sink into a swamp the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I have just been onto BT and will be getting their Broadband shortly. Feck Clearwire and their 1 year minimun contract for a service they dont provide. I will be cancelling mine tomorrow hopefully once I finalise the alternative provider.

How did ye get on with Clearwire cancelling the contract? Did they give any grief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

I am doing it tomorrow so will update, dunno how though as boards is blocked in work and I'll av no net at home :(
    Rather be disconnect than carry on like this. Sums it up really

didn't have a problem... just to be sure i checked my bank account, all clear... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

i know this is an old thread but im going to try cancelling my clearwire account today and see what happens. Ive been getting ridiculous speeds recently. I'd be connected faster if i walked to america to retrieve the pages off the servers!!

what are my chances of them coming after me once i tell my back to not pay them a cent anymore? it was in rented accomodation and i've left there since. Afaik they dont have any of my personal details apart from bank number sort code and name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimbowalsh

I sent them back the modem and a stern letter explaining how ****e their service was. Made sure the postage was registered and needed a signature on the other end. That way they couldn't claim it never arrived. Then I deauthorised the direct debit on my bank account and voila. Haven't heard a word from them since. Oh I lie, they rang me 3 months afterwards to see how my service was going! Lets say that was the last call I'll be getting. I work from home and have been with imagine for nearly a year. Really happy with the service, the attiude and support.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

slemons wrote:
    i know this is an old thread but im going to try cancelling my clearwire account today and see what happens. Ive been getting ridiculous speeds recently. I'd be connected faster if i walked to america to retrieve the pages off the servers!!

what are my chances of them coming after me once i tell my back to not pay them a cent anymore? it was in rented accomodation and i've left there since. Afaik they dont have any of my personal details apart from bank number sort code and name.

If you are going to cancel do it properly! Have you complained to them? How long have you been with them (thats important in terms of obligations contract wise?) If you have not complained to them and do a runner you are on very dodgy ground indeed no matter how slow your speeds are. Bank number sort code and name is a lot of information remember that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Ok aren't I glad I read this thread before ordering Clearwire!!!!! They sound shocking! I was a bit unsure about it anyway will be leaving the country in 6 months so didn't want to sign up for a 12 month contract.

Ok so Clearwire is now out can someone please suggest an alternative.

My building can't get broadband through NTL
    I've tried Irish Broadband in a different house and I'm in a basement apartment so know for a fact I won't get a signal.

I don't even know if the phoneline works or is active in my apartment so was trying to avoid ones that involved broadband+phoneline packages - so what am I left with?????
    I live in Dublin 1 if this helps.

Can anyone save me from the hell that is Clearwire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

i have a problem connecting to limewire wud u say the clearwire is the problem? any1 know..cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Yes, they trottle ports for gaming, limewire and the like. Im sick to death of clearwire, sick to the point that I've stopped arguing with them. I am actively looking for an alternative provider. Still on Clearwire for the time being :mad: . Clearwire is just as bad (if not worse) than IBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

cheers stepbar but in the first couple of months of using clearwire, limewire worked grand but the past month or so its just stopped working i might change to a diffrent bb any tips on a good bb service that you dont need a land line for it to work.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MamaMia

I am beyond angry because I think I’ve had problems that go far beyond those mentioned above, and beyond anything that Clearwire should expect a customer to tolerate and pay a single dime for. I ordered phone and Internet service, dismantled my bellsouth equipment, and hooked up Clearwire. Nada. Not a weak signal, but no signal at all! And no dial tone on my phone. I thought maybe another, newer phone might do the trick. Didn’t. Unhooked everything and hooked my bellsouth DSL back up. Then, the real kicker. I called the support number listed on the paperwork that came with my modem and phone adaptor, and couldn’t even get through! From both my home phone and cell phone (tried for a couple of hours) I got a recording stating, “This number cannot be reached from your calling area.” WHAT?! So I then sent an e-mail from my local library telling the idiots my problem, and they sent me some stupid, standard reply message that didn’t even address the issue at all! Next, I reconnected Clearwire equipment and called a number in my local area. They gave me an alternate number to reach Clearwire support. The tech I spoke with was very nice, but the 45 minutes I spent with him was pointless. He had me turn that modem every which way but loose, and the only location where I could not get even a MODEST signal (one to three lights, sporadically, which the tech himself told me wasn't adequate) was in one front window of my house, perched at a precarious angle on a glass end table where my cat frequently jumps up to sit. And this was nowhere near my computer station! I had to go out then, so told this guy to thoroughly document what we had done, and that I’d get back to them. I sent an e-mail telling them I wanted to cancel and wanted return of all monies, to which I got a response saying I needed to call them. Called them just now, and of course I got a chick telling me I either had to give them a customer to sign up for their service in my stead, or pay their stupid $210! The only other option she gave me was to have yet another tech come out and try to find a place in my house to get a signal, wasting even more of my time. I am disabled, work from home, and have not only lost valuable time and service, but also business, and it took some doing for me to even get a ride to the local library! The rep’s only response was, “Well, ma’am, things happen.” I am going to post this warning message everywhere I can on the web, calling my attorney general’s office, and can only hope that there’s at least help for people who are unable to get any signal/service whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aled jones

FWIW, we had one in our house last year, then we got eircom broadband, but we'd lost the modem's packaging, so I thought it would be quicker to bring it to Leopardstown Industrial Estate where they are based.

It took me an hour to find the building, then I sat in reception for another half hour. Eventually someone brought me upstairs and sat me down, where I waited another 15 minutes for some smiley guy to come out and "discuss my problem".

I told him that it wasn't sufficient for my needs, that a huge range of ports were blocked, and that I couldn't VPN to work, plus my download speeds and ping times were absolutely dire.

He said "to the best of my knowledge, we don't block any ports" and asked if I knew anyone else who would like to take over ownership of the modem, because "clearwire don't want to lose customers".

I mentioned that they weren't getting good press and I'd seen on various internet forums that everyone else was more or less displeased. As I was leaving he asked where I'd read this, I said boards.ie. Upon hearing this, he suggested that I "ask them to stop".

LOL

Just coming back here doing some research for a friend, I see the situation hasn't changed. Steer well clear, and if not, keep your packaging, otherwise you'll need to bring a packed lunch, and possibly a baseball bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

MamaMia wrote: »
    I am beyond angry because I think I’ve had problems that go far beyond those mentioned above, and beyond anything that Clearwire should expect a customer to tolerate and pay a single dime for. I ordered phone and Internet service, dismantled my bellsouth equipment, and hooked up Clearwire. Nada. Not a weak signal, but no signal at all! And no dial tone on my phone. I thought maybe another, newer phone might do the trick. Didn’t. Unhooked everything and hooked my bellsouth DSL back up. Then, the real kicker. I called the support number listed on the paperwork that came with my modem and phone adaptor, and couldn’t even get through! From both my home phone and cell phone (tried for a couple of hours) I got a recording stating, “This number cannot be reached from your calling area.” WHAT?! So I then sent an e-mail from my local library telling the idiots my problem, and they sent me some stupid, standard reply message that didn’t even address the issue at all! Next, I reconnected Clearwire equipment and called a number in my local area. They gave me an alternate number to reach Clearwire support. The tech I spoke with was very nice, but the 45 minutes I spent with him was pointless. He had me turn that modem every which way but loose, and the only location where I could not get even a MODEST signal (one to three lights, sporadically, which the tech himself told me wasn't adequate) was in one front window of my house, perched at a precarious angle on a glass end table where my cat frequently jumps up to sit. And this was nowhere near my computer station! I had to go out then, so told this guy to thoroughly document what we had done, and that I’d get back to them. I sent an e-mail telling them I wanted to cancel and wanted return of all monies, to which I got a response saying I needed to call them. Called them just now, and of course I got a chick telling me I either had to give them a customer to sign up for their service in my stead, or pay their stupid $210! The only other option she gave me was to have yet another tech come out and try to find a place in my house to get a signal, wasting even more of my time. I am disabled, work from home, and have not only lost valuable time and service, but also business, and it took some doing for me to even get a ride to the local library! The rep’s only response was, “Well, ma’am, things happen.” I am going to post this warning message everywhere I can on the web, calling my attorney general’s office, and can only hope that there’s at least help for people who are unable to get any signal/service whatsoever.
    Er... Do clearwire offer a phone service?
    Or charge in dollars for that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Er... Do clearwire offer a phone service?
    Or charge in dollars for that matter?

Obviously, this person is talking about Clearwire USA, the mother of it all [as far as Clearwire are concerned].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 OMEGA-KNO3

ok so the past week or so clearwire has had the download and upload speed fluctuating like mad first it would kinda of be ok around 512kb/s to 1mb/s then it went straight down to roughly 333kb/s and the ping was actually the same it was 333 so today is really different so i did the speed test oh and by the way I'm supposed to have 2mb clearwire broadband but have only reached that speed at 2 am only a few times and here is the test.

[IMG][/img]224036237.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 actionman85

I got broadband hooked up off this dude that was recommended to me bout a year ago, 400e once off payment, never a single problem just spot on, would recommend it to anyone;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I got broadband hooked up off this dude that was recommended to me bout a year ago, 400e once off payment, never a single problem just spot on, would recommend it to anyone;)

Would recommend what exactly to anyone? You don't mention an actual product or company. Is this something that's illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 OMEGA-KNO3

ok so yesterday I posted my crappy clearwire speed which was ok for about a half of playing War Rock online so I'll post today's crappy speed and here it is.

[IMG][/img]224407822.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement