Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC on wrestling board?

• 16-04-2006 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering would it be okay to post topics on the UFC on the wrestling board from now on?

Number one because just from that topic last week that was MMA related that was on this forum, it seemed to get more attention on the wrestling board than it would have on the martial arts/self defence one. It seems to me that the martial arts board is more interested in actual training etc than on UFC.

Number two the forum did read :This Forum is for the discussion of Pro wrestling and Wrestling (Olympic, Amatuer etc). Theres a heck of alot of amateur wrestling in the UFC! Just ask Randy Coture.

Number three alot of the major publications on wrestling cover both professional wrestling and MMA like the wrestling observer newsletter and figure four newsletter.

Number four, The UFC is getting more like professional wrestling in many ways. Building up babyfaces and heels (Ortiz, Diaz) in a very similar way to wrestling. Except they seem to do it alot better at least lately.

So thats my case. Feel free to bash it. I realise its a grey area but UFC is such a hot product right now that I think it should be discussed in the place where most people are interested in it. Bizarrely it seems to be the wrestling board and not the MMA/self defence one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I agree with vince....i was surprised at how many people were interested in the ufc when the thread was posted up here.
    P.s dont post any ufc59 results lol..im watching it tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

how the **** was Tito given that victory. madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I'll allow this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Mossy Monk wrote:

I disagree with you to a extent. I would have scored it 29-29 but I can see how they gave it to you know who.The atmosphere and drama for the fight was phenomenal. But who cares really about the decision really. It was just a top top fight. Down the line there'll be a re-match.

UFC had 1 huge star and 1 potential star going in. Now they have 2 top stars. I hope Tito's knee is n't too badly injured mind you for his match with Ken Shamrock in June/July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Im not a big fan of UFC myself. Its snorefest most of the time and they do very little to keep your attension, like building up big matches etc. Fights end too quickley for my liking too. Also some times just too plane brutal for my liking. (when the guys head is flat on the mat his oppent hits him once in the temple that sould so it, he dosnt need to keep hitting him)

• Advertisement

Im not a big fan of UFC myself. Its snorefest most of the time and they do very little to keep your attension, like building up big matches etc. Fights end too quickley for my liking too. Also some times just too plane brutal for my liking. (when the guys head is flat on the mat his oppent hits him once in the temple that sould so it, he dosnt need to keep hitting him)

On the one hand your saying that fights end to quickly, but on the other your saying its too brutal.

On the issue of it being boring, well theres years and years of evidence which would go against that. Just two from Saturday, that were really good was Evan Tanner V Justin Levans and Ortiz v Griffin. If it was boring they would not have had a 2 million gate at Annaheim and buy rates that are now rivaling boxing and professional wrestling.

I'd agree its not for everyone although no fighter has ever been seriously injured in the UFC and it is very much controlled now, there is still always that danger.

But the level of skill involved and time they train to be accomplished in wrestling, jujitsu and striking is staggering and deserves respect. Its a hot sport right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

(when the guys head is flat on the mat his oppent hits him once in the temple that sould so it, he dosnt need to keep hitting him)

Yeah right, these guys are beasts, a knockout may look like a cold clean knockout afterwards, but when it happens you have no idea if the guy will stay down, or pull guard or suddenly have you in a heel hook, so you wade in and get the ref stoppage.

As funny as this for guys who really do beat on each other, UFC has a lower ( much lower ) serious injury rate than WWE!

And to be honest, you can't really draw out a UFC fight, some of then will end in under 10 seconds and that is the joy of MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Because he won the first round by a long way (arguably by a 10-8 though I scored it 10-9), the 2nd round was close but Griffin was better so scores are even again and then Griffin did next to nothing in the third. Tito was both more aggressive and more effective striking and then the takedown sealed the deal.
    As I said on the MA board, where this is being discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ok there is already a forum for UFC.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=264

There was a thread on the UFC placed on the wrestling board 2 weeks ago. It got much more of a reaction here than any one has previously on the self defence board. But whatever, I just think it should be allowed to be freely discussed in the place people are most interested in the UFC.

Anyway, by travelling now and again to the wrestling board you might tap into a love of professional wrestling that you thought never existed!

• Advertisement

True , prolly good idea then.

Might get me back into UFC.

Willem D wrote:
    True , prolly good idea then.

Might get me back into UFC.

Well right about now is a good time to get back into it. Its on a roll.

Its been a long time since I watched it.

Where can I catch it.

On tv, only on bravo at the moment. You can get alot of fights on www.youtube.com

Cool thanks vince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

On the one hand your saying that fights end to quickly, but on the other your saying its too brutal.

On the issue of it being boring, well theres years and years of evidence which would go against that. Just two from Saturday, that were really good was Evan Tanner V Justin Levans and Ortiz v Griffin. If it was boring they would not have had a 2 million gate at Annaheim and buy rates that are now rivaling boxing and professional wrestling.

I'd agree its not for everyone although no fighter has ever been seriously injured in the UFC and it is very much controlled now, there is still always that danger.

But the level of skill involved and time they train to be accomplished in wrestling, jujitsu and striking is staggering and deserves respect. Its a hot sport right now.
    Im not dissing it, Im just saying it dosnt appeal to me

Advertisement