Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you miss Batista?

• 16-04-2006 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Well, do you? Personally I don't. I'm not a fan of big power wrestlers as heavyweight champions unless they can wrestle too (like Lesnar). I like the fact that Smackdown has had two guys - Angle and Mysterio - who can back it up where it matters most - in the ring.

I'll give Batista credit in that he has gotten over well for a guy whose mic skills are poor (as he admits himself) but Batista as champion just meant matches involving a big clothesline, a spinebuster, thumbs down and then a Batista Bomb.

I think Kurt proved not only a great alternative as World Champion but also an improvement.

Smackdown has been excellent lately and I'm personally not looking forward to seeing this guy come back and jump straight into the main event picture.

What are your thoughts? Are you really looking forward to seeing him back?

Do you miss Batista? 14 votes

Yes, I look forward to his return
    0%
    Nah, Smackdown has done well without him
    100%
    V9Cactus ColoakersFozzyjongoreoneofakind32DoctorEdgeWildZipandrewieVince1357920035starpoolJ.R.HARTLEYff101fatal 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

It really depends on how they'll use him imo. SD is doing well atm at least for the main event situation. Kurt Angle has done well with the push he was giving, as has rey mysterio.
    If they just throw Batista back into the main event and give him the title, then i'd say "No" but if they give him storied feuds (and not just Mark Henry) then i'd say be infavor of his return. But to answer your question, SD has done well without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stalfos wrote:
    It really depends on how they'll use him imo. SD is doing well atm at least for the main event situation. Kurt Angle has done well with the push he was giving, as has rey mysterio.
    If they just throw Batista back into the main event and give him the title, then i'd say "No" but if they give him storied feuds (and not just Mark Henry) then i'd say be infavor of his return. But to answer your question, SD has done well without him.

Yeah I'd agree with that. I do think he has alot to contribute to Smackdown as he's a big name but I think it would be a mistake to give him back the belt straight away, even though it was harsh the way he lost it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think SD has done well without him, but if they use him the same good way he's been used for the last year and a bit, then I'd love to see him back. I think he adds something good to the show, and most people really like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

damn i miss him...just his presence whether it be the main event or not
    he cant come back sooner.........pity!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

fatal wrote:
    damn i miss him...just his presence whether it be the main event or not
    he cant come back sooner.........pity!!!!!!

Do you mind if I ask why?

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Batista because the truth is I don't dislike him as much as I do alot of the other big guys, but what is it about Batista that makes people like him?

He has poor mic skills, he's nothing special in the ring and he's not had any real memorable stand-out matches in his career (technically speaking).

Why is he so popular then?

I'd personally place him above Goldberg as a wrestler but beneath Lesnar.

I don't see why people like him so much. I think he was riding a wave of popularity from his Evolution storyline and I wonder had he not been injured whether the fans would have turned on him too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think he was riding a wave of popularity from his Evolution storyline

thats what i think it is. i dont hate the guy, just dont see anything great about him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I cant better anything said above. I never really understood why people found him so good. I dont dislike him or anything just when he's around 'meh'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

i miss batista, but smackdown at the moment is doing very well.... now i dont expect him to get "the title that he never lost" back straight away. but at least give him some juicy storylines/fueds sooo he can build himself up again.. just dont put him in a match against mark henry.... ugh yuck and hopefully they wont go back to the storyline with melina.... that was god awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

With Kurt Angle in rough shape, Orton out I think Smackdown do need him.

I like Big Dave. Your never gonna mistake his wrestling for Chris Benoit. But I think he has a quiet charisma and a likeability factor to him that not many have. For example, when he handed the belt back the promo he gave was really good. At least to me it seemed from the heart but it also served its purpose.

Also in backstage segments, I really noticed his little mannerisms which really added to whatever he was saying or what he was trying to portray. Just look at his feud with Trips for it.

Wrestling wise, he's a bit like Cena. Put him in there with a a good wrestler and he can have good matches. In his matches with Triple H, Eddie he never miised a step. But again hes not a Lesnar.

Above all else he has a great, marketable look.

Edit: Anything with Melina involved is generally 100% fine with me. Except when she screams.

Edit: Anything with Melina involved is generally 100% fine with me. Except when she screams.

not where the harrassment storyline is concerned:mad:

and can some one please put a sock in her mouth to stop her from screaming.... ugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

cant say i do. stick a bit of make up and shoe laces on him and he's the ultimate warrior. imo smackdown has improved a lot since he dropped the strap. think its a bit crap as well that while he had the belt quallity guys slipped through the gaps like jericho and christian. still better than cena though

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Agree with the previous points, SD has improved a lot recently, but I will be happy to see Batista back. He has a calm but menacing prescence that adds to the show. He's no Lesnar, but then again he's no Mark Henry (when I watched WM I put Undertaker / Henry on fast forward, and then it looked like normal speed). He doesn't seem as "forced" as Cena, so the fans take to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I tried replying to this last night, but it wasn't working at all for some reason

I think a big part of it is that people know he's a real nice guy. He understands he's not the greatest wrestler in the world, but he does his best and is very honest about it. I think people like that about him
    I'd personally place him above Goldberg as a wrestler but beneath Lesnar.

That's kinda either end of the spectrum there! Goldberg wasn't a very talented wrestler, but Lesnar has been on par with Angle and Benoit at times
    jamc wrote:
    stick a bit of make up and shoe laces on him and he's the ultimate warrior

I don't agree with that at all. Warrior was extremely "out there", always goin on about his ancestors from the fifth star of nebulon and you really wouldn't have a clue what he really meant. With Batista, you know exactly what he means, what he wants, and how he's feeling. You know he wants to beat the **** out of someone, and you know that he can do it. There's a better connection that people have with Batista that helps them to like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think Batista will re-inforce SD once he is back. As said already, he doesnt seem forced like Cena, and just has a good rapport with the fans.

I disagree that he is bad on the mic. His promos improved on a weekly basis IMO. Certainly he is no Rock, but he is a million miles better on the mic now, than while he was still in Evolotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Batista V Ortan is one for the long run, possibly WM23. Batista popularity is mostly due to the evolution angle. I think WWE missed a golden oppertunity to do the same for Orlando Jordan when JBL lost the tital to Cena. Having JBL insist that orlando hand over the US tital since he is no longer the champ but still the head honcho in the cabinit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

I agree with most of what has been said here. Smackdown has improved big time this year without big Dave, I just dont want to see him back in the title frame when he returns. Break him in slowly and then elevate him when Orton returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

simply put with "wrestlers" like Mark Henry and Giant khali and Boogeyman, dave batista doesn't look all that bad, sure he's not a well polished performer but he's more than competent in the ring. jaysus if you think SD is better off with those three than him you must smoking something :)

i'll admit he's not the greatest wrestler in the wwe at the moment, but hey he's better than cena.... and one things for sure he's far more entertaining and he has worked his butt off. i'd rather see batista wrestling than see mark henry or the great kali or the giant kali or what ever he's called. at the moment theres 2 main eventers on the show who are consistant, angle and rey and thats fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Batista isn't the worst wrestler out there, and like somebody said above, I think he has a quiet charisma about him, and exudes coolness.

He's been giving the perfect push (for him) from wwe since he won the title. I hope when he returns there isn't too many main event faces on smackdown, would hate to have to see wwe turn angle so soon after he became a face.

Advertisement