Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Bray crap as usual

• 17-04-2006 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Anyone else in Bray getting incredibly sh*tty speeds? I'm on breeze 2mb, their service has really gone to sh*t since they upgraded the speeds last summer. I'm sick of ringing to complain at this point, the only reason I am still with them is because its my only bb option. For the past week I've been getting 95 kbps (11.9 KB/sec) download and 81 kbps (10.1 KB/sec) upload on a 2mb line, it was down on 3 separate days last week. It was fantastic until they upgraded from 1mb to 2mb, since the upgrade I'd be lucky to get 512k speeds with a burst of 1mb after 10pm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭freer

Same here but I'm in Crumlin, and I have the 512kb/s speed I never get it the most I get when im downloading is around 40kb/s I dont wanna know the upload it's suposed to be 128kb. Anyways I'm sick of it too I;ve had times when mine was down and the only reason I'm with it is cos we went for smart but the cant do crumlin yet???? but ye your speeds are poo sorry dude :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

It took me over 50minutes to download a 10mb file today on a 2mb line. They have the most unhelpful customer care, I rang earlier and said their service has been sh*t for months. 'Yes, we have a slight problem in bray which we hope to fix this week' I could accept that excuse if it was a once off and their normal service actually did what its supposed to but the speeds I am getting are on par with dial up. I know 4 others with ibb and to no surprise they are as pissed off with the service as I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well mine is like that out in D15 10 k speeds on a regular basis then for the od hour i`ll get like 100k. But so long as I can game I dont really care, ive given up ringing them as it seems to achieve little.

ANd yes mine was fine since till it went from 1 meg to 2 meg. Im really worried how bad its gona go when they goto 4 meg just cause all the other BBs are now at 3 meg and above. It settle for a 1 meg that worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Off topic question...

What is the maximum speeds the alvarion equipment can do? I don't have any model numbers so I can't google for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i'm usually _relatively_ happy with the service but it's really gone down hill over the last week. i'm also supposed to be 2m - it was around 15kB/s last night and about 40 this morning

I'm starting to consider moving providers as i can't see the service improving in the long term

they're definately screwing with it today as the mtr i have running on it keeps dropping at their inex peering and when it gets through and down the few hops to bray the ping times are woeful between the bray basestation and my antenna

Nige

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

Haas anyone actually rang them today?

It was really bad over the weekend (20% lost packets) and the pings to boards atm are:

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Packets: Sent = 794, Received = 740, Lost = 54 (6% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 711ms, Average = 201ms

I'm going to do a long term ping to that and to smtp.irishbroadband.ie

i'll give them a shout if it hasn't stablised by the time i get home.

the latency is looking ok for me at the moment but i can't check bandwidth remotely

Nigel

Aparently there is an intermittent loss of service in Bray (tell us something we didnt know).

Just spoke to someone there alegedly "It will be fixed once and for all tomorrow morning" although considering the time I made the call I recken the CS girl just wanted rid so she could go home. We will see.

looks ok atm

my connection was down for best part of the day, again. as soon as ntl or smart hit bray i am switching, along with every other ibb bray subscriber.

is it just me or is the volume on their customer support line (when you actually get through to an operator) barely audible? any time i ring up i have to put it on speaker phone and press it against my ear until it bleeds just to hear them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nephew is there no chance of you getting Eircom/BT/UTV in bray, as i'm on BT 3mbit product for just under a year now and had no problems whatsoever.

i actually was going for IBB before i went ADSL but unfortualately most of bray head and the forest behind newcourt road was blocking me, this was truely a sign from god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I'm on the southern cross rd in bray in Hollybrook and I am stuck with IBB for the moment I have emailed NTL to tell them that there is a pent up demand for their service in the Bray area, if you are in Bray and unhappy with IBB and their service please email NTL, we might get a critical mass thing going ....

I am supposedly on the 2mb breeze but in common with everyone else since the upgrade its been hell, was down to 6kbps two weekends ago and we had two or three outages last week as well, I have been on to IBB and only when i threatened to revert to the I mb connection ( i was never actually breaching 1mb connection on the irish isp speed test , seemingly hovered around 400 kbps satellite connection mark despite a 2mb breeze connection !!!) did they have a look at it,it seemed okay for a while but now its crap again. !

At the moment according to www.irishisptest.com I'm on 558kbps download and 813 kbps upload, what kind of average speed should i be expecting from the 2mb breeze service given that contention ratios etc have a detrimental effect on your speed.

And to think I recommended the company to a guy two doors down !!!:rolleyes:

Just logged onto my machine at home and the pings are still pants 153ms avg to smtp.irishbroadband.ie

I am really getting sick of this and considering switching back to Eircon.

236 ms for to ping the same ip address (smto.irishbroadband.net) what does this mean in joe bloggs speak ?

a ping to an ip address / hostname generally tells you how long it will take a packet of information to get from your pc to the target and back.

A trace route from my office PC (smart line):
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.39.161.244
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.3.1
    3 24 ms 22 ms 21 ms 84-203-112-1.mysmart.ie [84.203.112.1]
    4 21 ms 20 ms 21 ms ge1-3-0-105.core1.hba.dub.stisp.net [84.203.130.
    113]
    5 36 ms 36 ms 37 ms ibis-inex-gw.irishbroadband.ie [193.242.111.19]

6 35 ms 40 ms 39 ms smtp1.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.32.12]

A trace route from my home PC (IBB Bray):

Tracing route to smtp.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.32.12]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms smoothwall [192.168.0.1]
    2 13 ms 11 ms 19 ms WW01-fe-0-0-1-150-bray.irishbroadband.ie [62.231
    .50.193]
    3 43 ms 49 ms 53 ms DN02-fe-1-3-0-400-rte3rock.irishbroadband.ie [87
    .192.233.129]
    4 118 ms 123 ms 127 ms DN03-fe-1-3-0-356-tallaght.irishbroadband.ie [83
    .141.117.233]
    5 172 ms 183 ms 159 ms DN42-as1-0-ibis-access.irishbroadband.ie [62.231
    .52.134]
    6 214 ms 221 ms * DN42-ge-0-2-0-50-ibis-gw.irishbroadband.ie [62.2
    31.52.157]
    7 242 ms 197 ms 193 ms smtp1.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.32.12]

Go figure

ok just spoke to Grace in tech support (happens to be same person I sopke to last night) and she said it will definately be sorted tomorrow morning (yep thats what she told me last night as well)

Anyway I'm off to email my account manager to find out more. will keep you posted....

(just a question thats been bugging me. How come others don't pick up the phone to complain and only post moaning here?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'm on the Southern Cross in Bray (Swanbrook) and am also waiting for a decent BB provider. I am with Clearwire at the moment and just in case any of ye are thinking of switching to them......DON'T. They are SH*T. Blocking loads of traffic. P2P has been blocked for months, gaming sucked for ages until they figured out how to fix it and as of last thursday XFire, PalTalk, Yahoo Games and god knows what else doesnt work.

I notice my line test on the eircom site changed last week from fail to conditional pass and digiweb say I am also now possibly suitable. I will be getting them out soon to see if DSL finally works in this area. WIll mail NTL also as suggested above.

But again, don't even think of switching to Clearwire unless all you do is browse the web.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Thursday evening close of business it will be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Grunt_IRL

Just sent my 'terminate account' email.
    The service worked for about 3 mts, fell over, never got back on its legs again
    They will fix it tomorrow.......:eek:
    Happy days, back to eircon.
    Sayonara IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what's the story i thought the southern cross would be covered on the 204-xxxx exchange?

my dad's business is on that exchange and has broadband, but it's on the kilarney road and not the southern cross (only a stone's throw away tbh).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cremo wrote:
    what's the story i thought the southern cross would be covered on the 204-xxxx exchange?

my dad's business is on that exchange and has broadband, but it's on the kilarney road and not the southern cross (only a stone's throw away tbh).

I have a 276-XXXX number on the southern cross. is that a different exchange? They probably split the lines (or whatever the technical term is) when then set up the "new" estates on the Southern Cross which fecks us all for broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You would still fail if you were on a pairgained/split line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was like that for months, very frustrating. I emailed all their investors! It pissed them off, but I haven't had a spot of bother since!

If I ever do - I'll email again ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Ludo wrote:
    I have a 276-XXXX number on the southern cross. is that a different exchange? They probably split the lines (or whatever the technical term is) when then set up the "new" estates on the Southern Cross which fecks us all for broadband.

No, it is or was just border line distance for eircom. I have eircom BB and I'm on the southern cross. Just don't expect high speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

I'm in Greystones and on Easter Sunday, I was getting kicked of the WOW server so often I did a traceroute and at one stage it was taking nearly three seconds to handover from Tallaght to Bray. I totally lost it with the help desk and they sent me this reply this morning.

"We have checked a few settings on your connection. To check if this has resolved the issue that you are experiencing we ask that you do the following (Unfortunately I do not know if you are using a PC or MAC so I am sending the tests to be tried on whatever platform of machine you have):"

I shall test it tonite.

ok I know I'm tempting fate here but it looks like all is good again in the world IBB Bray pings are back to normal and the packet loss has decreased dramatically I'm keeping my fingers crossed the sellotape and chewing gum holds this time....

well my upload is its fastest ever 1.93mbps download is at 775kbps
    I will be phoning first thing in the morning ...maybe we should all ask for grace ?

Cremo wrote:
    nephew is there no chance of you getting Eircom/BT/UTV in bray, as i'm on BT 3mbit product for just under a year now and had no problems whatsoever.

my line failed the eircom line test, but in the past week i got Pass (subject to confirmation) on their line checker. my monthly download/upload total could be anywhere from 20-65gb so i would find it hard to stick to a capped service, thats why i am holding out for ntl or smart.

my 2mb connection improved slightly for a few days last week and i was getting a top download of 85kb/s but its back to 15kb/s for the past couple of days.
    Tippex wrote:
    (just a question thats been bugging me. How come others don't pick up the phone to complain and only post moaning here?)

i do but its gets frustrating ringing them every other day, and being fed the same crap every time, after spending 10-30minutes on hold. the other day i was talking to a foreigner, who could barely speak english and sounded as if they were reading possible solutions off a sheet in front of them.

Advertisement